Björk - Utopia (9th Album) | Page 168 | The Popjustice Forum

Björk - Utopia (9th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Nightclubbing, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Last night was... After wanting to see her life for about 15 years or so... A dream come true. My seats ended up being fantastic and she performed my like really random favourite album track which was amazing. Asking everyone to dance for the encore and then playing...

Notget

...was a hilarious troll move. I love her.

LPT, Los Ageless, Riiiiiiiii and 2 others like this.
  2. A ridiculous venue to hold this show. I could see almost nothing of what was on the stage as it was behind a big black curtain. No warning of any restriction when buying tickets. Shame as I was really looking forward to it.

3. Managed to bag some cheap resale tickets, so got to see Cornucopia last night.

I was very skeptical about seeing her at The O2, but she managed to pull it off. I've never seen a show like it! As she said in the Evening Standard interview, there wasn't much scope for it to be staged anywhere but modern arenas. I had standing tickets so got a pretty decent view, but the visuals are so integral to the show. It must've sucked for anyone up in the gods or with seat restrictions.

The staging, the production, the innovation was just so quintessentially Björk. I saw her a couple of times on Vulnitoura, but this was without a doubt the most complete show I've seen. Her voice was in incredible form, and she seemed in such good spirits.

I'm not the biggest fan of Flutopia, but a good few cuts really fell into place for me last night.

*streams Body Memo-rrrrrr-y*

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  4. Okay I need my fellow imperialsteroid's to jump out.

How do we interpret Hyperballad? To me, it's about someone exorcising all their inner demons in private, allowing them to conduct a normal and healthy relationship in the other parts of their life.

How do y'all see it? Has Bork ever shared her own thoughts behind it?

5. That's exactly right - Genius has a quote from her that says it's about being able to go somewhere else and act out all your aggressions and then come home, kiss your partner on the cheek and say "Hi honey". She's also very specific about it being something that starts around 3 years into the relationship ddd.

There used to be this great microsite as part of her old website that had all the songs and albums listed and you could click on each one to read compilations of all the quotes from interviews in which they were referenced. I've never been able to find it again, which is a shame as it was really lovely as a newer fan.

6. Bjork's comments via Wikipedia which essentially agrees with your interpretation:
    Basically, 'Hyper-ballad' is about having this kind of bag going on and three years have passed and you're not high anymore. You have to make an effort consciously and nature's not helping you anymore. So you wake up early in the morning and you sneak outside and you do something horrible and destructive, break whatever you can find, watch a horrible film, read a bit of William Burroughs, something really gross and come home and be like, 'Hi honey, how are you?'

Also from another interview:
    I guess that song is about when you're in a relationship and it's going really well and you're really happy and maybe you have given up parts of yourself. To fall in love and be in a relationship for a long time is like giving a lot of parts of you away because the relationship becomes more important than you as individuals. It's a bit of a tricky balance. I think everyone in a relationship needs to know not to forget themselves...

7. (Thank you both)

8. Yes! I remember it was for the Greatest Hits, and every song had a very nice page and all extract from different interviews about their meaning and composition.

I guess you can still find it through the web archives? I don't recall the name of it

mikeinamelody likes this.
  9. mikeinamelody likes this.
  10. You know what, I just actually looked and yes you can:

It's here.

The website updated in 2011 for the Biophilia makeover and so I think it doesn't go any further than that sadly.

Karvel likes this.
  11. That wasn't the one I meant, but that's also pretty cool!

Karvel likes this.
  12. Everything that's already been said it's true, but I also relate it to another interview in which she commented on her zodiac sign, Scorpio, being the sign of destruction, rebirth and regeneration, and that every morning she feels like she has to re-create the universe and then destroy it again in the evening. I always found that Hyperballad expressed precisely this kind of sentiment.

mikeinamelody likes this.
  13. She's a fellow Scorpio?

JMRGBY likes this.
  14. Didn’t she say something similar to how Pluto and All Is Full of Love are the last two tracks on Homogenic? Pluto represents death or destroying yourself and All Is Full of Love represents rebirth and rejuvenation.

Remyky22, mikeinamelody and Karvel like this.
  15. I haven't really listened to Utopia for a couple of months (mostly because I go into periods when I listen to Björk almost exclusively), but I'm pretty sure it's in my top 5 if I would rate her discography. It's so gorgeous.

man.tis.shrimp, Riiiiiiiii and Karvel like this.
  16. Finally got to see this show last night in Glasgow. Despite the setlist essentially being 75 % the same as the Utopia gig I saw last year, I felt this show was a much better representation of that album: from the choir to the production, it just felt more immersive. I would have liked to have seen maybe just another couple of songs from her back catalogue (particularly with the choir) - maybe Aurora. Overall though, she’s in a league of her own and I was totally captivated. Sad to see venue was only about 50% full - huge sections curtained off. On the plus side, at least she still came and didn’t go for scheduling conflicts as the reason not to. My only gripe was that her programme (quarter size of A4) was 20 quid!

enhanced CD and LPT like this.
  17. Woke up this morning to see lots of frost outside and decided to walk to work listening to VESPERTINE

What a moment.

18. LPT

LPT

There's a bjork insta filter and I am gagged!

mcuk likes this.
  19. Triple Scorpio!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.