Officially the biggest global debut in K-Pop history, YG Entertainment's new girl group BLACKPINK has taken the industry by storm in less than a week, already breaking records and demonstrating the public and global K-Pop fans' thirst for a new generation of Hallyu leaders.
Are BLACKPINK in your area yet? Don't worry, they'll be in the backwater swamp where you live soon enough, but for now, let's get to know this fascinating, talented, and global new group!
BLACKPINK is YG's first girl group in 7 years, consisting of four global members who hail from South Korea, New Zealand, Australia and Thailand. The group debuted with the the double single "Boombayah" / "Whistle" from the EP Square One, released worldwide on August 8, 2016.
1. Hwiparam (휘파람; Whistle)
2. BOOMBAYAH (붐바야)
#1 South Korea (Hwiparam)
#7 South Korea (BOOMBAYAH)
#1 US World Digital Songs (BOOMBAYAH)
#2 US World Digital Songs (Hwiparam)
#1 iTunes Worldwide
#1 iTunes USA
1. Buljangnan (불장난; Playing with Fire)
#3 South Korea (Buljangnan)
#10 South Korea (STAY)
#2 US World Albums
#1 US World Digital Songs (Buljangnan)
#4 US World Digital Songs (STAY)
#92 Canada Hot 100 (Buljangnan)
#81 Japan Hot 100 (Buljangnan)
- First K-Pop artist in history to reach #1 on WW and US iTunes album chart
- Only third artist in history to score all-kill with debut single; first in 6 years (since Miss A)
- Biggest K-Pop debut on YouTube; 3 million views in 24 hours for BOOMBAYAH/Whistle
- 10 million+ views for BOOMBAYAH and Whistle in less than a week
- "Whistle" used during the Olympics, further cementing global status