BLACKPINK

As a freshly laminated stan, I'm almost fearful of their power. I'm all in!!! I will see them live!

But...
I don't know what to expect?...Will U.S. leg tickets sell out in seconds during a blinks pre-sale? Are we expecting "sell a kidney" or just "eat top ramen for a month" prices? How much xanax do I take so that I don't hyperventilate when they take stage?

I need a plan.

I love them all so much! I don't want to pick a favorite, but my favorite is Rosé.
original.gif

Why does BTS have a P&J thread and not BLACKPINK?

Not trying to start anything, just curious.
I have some theories about it, some that I know to be true and some are pure speculation.

BTS have a record deal in the US, have released several singles fully in English and have been catering to the western market for some time now. BLACKPINK might be the biggest girlgroup in Korea, but their international relevance only goes so far as to their music sounding a little more western-friendly than most girlgroups and the girls themselves being born and raised overseas.

There is the "K-pop factor". This subforum exists for a reason, and BTS is the only group that has been incessantly trying to break away from the K-pop label and become something bigger than it, something global. BLACKPINK are still marketed mainly for Koreans through means that are relevant for them but might not be for us. Enfin, BLACKPINK is still strictly K-pop while BTS has been straying away from it in a way or another.

We also need to remember the fanbase aspect. Not only are ARMYs' numbers in the millions, but their loyalty and attachment is also unparalleled. BTS was able to create (voluntarily or not) a close-knit community of millions of people around the planet, and the dolls are all involved in charity work, money donations and whatnot. Truly utopian sometimes. BLACKPINK... have their obligatory barking stans but their number is smaller and their actions are more shady Twitter interactions than anything else. Not that ARMYs don't do it, but you see them doing some other stuff too. I'm sure this has to do with BTS being a boygroup but that's another pot of rice.

The popularity of girlgroups in the forum as a whole hasn't been too high either (the last most popular one disbanding just some weeks ago) and the rise of Charlie Puth's and Harry Style's threads (as well as other questionable male exemplars) may also contribute to that.

Now a TWICE thread has been long due!

and the rise of Charlie Puth
Must you drag me everywhere you go.

To echo, BTS’ (or their fandom’s) seeming insistence on not being considered a K-Pop group (or only a K-Pop group), their undeniable global popularity, and the fact that the BTS fandom and the K-Pop fandom on this particular pink hell hole do not intersect save for a few brave souls, it kind of creates a perfect storm as to why BTS is the sole group who has their own thread outside of the sub-forum.

Thank you both!

Initially I was scratching my head because I was like wait they tour and do promo in EU/UK/US and THE ALBUM was like 70% English... Although I guess Ice Cream is the only "mostly english" single....ddd.

The clarifications you both made make sense, I guess. The fandom aspect is interesting for sure. I had no idea. I wonder if Ice Cream had gone #1 BBHot 100 if it would even matter, given that the fandoms seem to be so different.

Not that it matters at all where the thread is to me. I just saw the BTS thread in P&J main page and didn't realize.

Thank you both!

Initially I was scratching my head because I was like wait they tour and do promo in EU/UK/US and THE ALBUM was like 70% English... Although I guess Ice Cream is the only "mostly english" single....ddd.

The clarifications you both made make sense, I guess. The fandom aspect is interesting for sure. I had no idea. I wonder if Ice Cream had gone #1 BBHot 100 if it would even matter, given that the fandoms seem to be so different.

Not that it matters at all where the thread is to me. I just saw the BTS thread in P&J main page and didn't realize.
Let’s pretend Ice Cream doesn’t exist.

Ffff I was going to say the same thing. Thank GOD Ice Cream didn’t go to #1, YG probably would have thought that was the winning formula for all future singles (as if we’ve had future singles but that’s besides the point).

The worst BTS songs have done the best (although I still think Butter is a great song) so I’m glad Blackpink haven’t took off in the same way. But I’d still take another Ice Cream over literally nothing.