Blondie | The Popjustice Forum

Blondie

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Deleted member 5343, Feb 13, 2018.

1. There didn't seem to be a general Blondie thread so thought I'd create one.

Blondie's second album 'Plastic Letters' turns 40 this month (released in February 1978)!

Though not my favourite Blondie record, it does contain some classics, such as 'Denis', '(I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence Dear' and the favourite 'I'm on E'.

[​IMG]

2. Maria is a bop, I always remember only being about 5 or 6 and always hearing it on the radio.

3. It doesn't have any of my favorite songs (Eat to the Beat does (god that's such a dumb title)), but Plastic Letters is my favorite Album of theirs. Also my favorite album art

Joanie likes this.
  4. Wow! It’s insane that Plastic Letters turned 40. I’m glad they’re still making music.

Plastic Letters has so many good songs - I Didn’t Have The Nerve To Say No, I’m Always Touched By Your Presence Dear, I’m On E, Love On The Pier, No Imagination...and Denis obviously. I might revisit the album sometime this week.

5. The “it’s really not cheating...” in (I’m Always Touched By Your) Presence Dear forever brings a smile to my face.

jakeyfw and Deleted member 5343 like this.
  6. Blondie has so many amazing bops. Heart of Glass remains so iconic and beautiful.

7. I feel it doesn't stand up as well against their other material but I suppose it's down to personal taste. I enjoy their debut much more but agree, it's great album art.

bonnieetclyde likes this.
  8. I thought that was a picture from the archives! She looks great at 72.

Deleted member 5343 likes this.
  9. I really hope we don't have to wait too long for a new album.

This went off on the tour.

These two are classic Blondie.

And this video is brilliant.

10. I have really enjoyed Pollinator - and I like how they let other artists take control this time around. I think it worked really well for them. But maybe a little less Sia and Charli XCX next time around?

I really want the next album to be written by people who’ve basically studied Debbie Harry throughout their careers (Shirley Manson, Gwen Stefani, Sophie Ellis-Bextor etc). I’m also really hoping Alex Kapranos works with Debbie again. They’re such a natural fit! I’d love for Beth Ditto to work with them again. Oh and the Farriss trio. Dave Sitek did a brilliant job with them this time, as did Dev Hynes. I’m sure everyone will be here for Dev and Dave round two. Also, why has Duran Duran x Blondie not happened? Simon wrote a song for them years ago, but it never made Blondie’s album and it ended up on Pop Trash, I think. I’d probably die of happiness if they actually make an album with all the aforementioned.

Edit - and Sky Ferreira. How could I forget her.

But most of all, I WANT JIMMY BACK!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    bonnieetclyde and jakeyfw like this.
  11. Pollinator was their best album in years. I'm really interested to see where they go next.

12. The Breaks is still my most played song from Pollinator. There’s just something so pure about it - it reminds me of the Shayla and the other slow numbers from Eat To The Beat..

jakeyfw likes this.
  13. In my view “Pollinator” was about course correction. Since “No Exit” they got too hung up on journalistic notions of being Trail Blazers & “Genre Benders”.

The more genre experimental tracks from “No Exit” through “Ghosts of Download” were not finding commercial favour & lead to a cycle of ever diminishing returns.

They then went through a period of reflection where they held a mirror up to themselves & used the song submissions for “Pollinator” as focus group material, in order to assess what musical style outside songwriters would most readily associate with the ‘Blondie’ brand & subsequently submit to them, in order that the band could identify the exact commercial sound the market expects to hear from them.

“Pollinator” has done its job in giving them that feedback. I have no doubt they have been given the musical direction they sought & it is inspiring them to create within that style, as defined by the “Pollinator” album - only next time round they will be taking back the lion share of mechanical songwriting royalties/ publishing (doing it almost entirely by themselves).

14. Still elated they managed to release "Doom or Destiny" as a single. I fucking love that chune.

15. The long time audio popped up on my Facebook "on this day"

What a lyric -
    Racing down the Bowery on a crowded afternoon,
    dripping from the downpour of your insecure typhoon...

16. I don't think they could have got to Pollinator without doing Ghosts of Download though and that record has some amazing songs.

I wouldn't throw Panic of Girls under the bus either - it's a very strong album.

The Curse... And No Exit were definitely more mixed bags.

I think they've got stronger with each record since the comeback.

bonnieetclyde, ladylloyd and tastic like this.
  17. Mile High sounded way better when I saw them live and was disappointed with how the album version turned out. It sounds empty and Debbie's vocals sound extra thin.

Joanie likes this.
  18. I absolutely love I Want to Drag You Around. That guitar solo <3

19. Too Much was such a highlight of the last year. The album really was great as well.

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.