Blood, Tears & Votes: The Hurts Discography Rate. #5: I feel so ashamed... | The Popjustice Forum

Blood, Tears & Votes: The Hurts Discography Rate. #5: I feel so ashamed...

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by CorgiCorgiCorgi, May 20, 2019.

?

which album are you rooting for?

1. Happiness

45.5%
  2. Exile

15.2%
  3. Surrender

12.1%
  4. Desire

9.1%
  5. Dedicated by Carly Rae Jepsen, out now on iTunes and Spotify

18.2%
  1. [​IMG]

Hello.

For the last 10 years, Hurts have been blessing us with orchestral sadbangers and synthpop bangers. Yet they've never had a single album in a PopJustice rate... that is, until now, when we're rating all four of them (and a couple of one-off featured tracks)!

You know the drill: give each song a score of 0.0-10.0, with 0 being the worst and 10 being the best. Feel free to use decimal points if you’re having trouble deciding. You also have the option of giving an 11 to your favorite song.

Commentary is encouraged, but not mandatory. If you want to vote first, then send in your commentary closer to the deadline, that is 100% okay!

Send me your votes via DM. Voting will be open for 6 weeks - your scores are due Monday, July 8, 2019, 11:59 PM BST. I really hope that online timer works.

Let's get to the albums, shall we?

[​IMG]
    HAPPINESS

"Only a joyless weirdo could deny that these are fearsomely well-crafted songs, as clean-lined and immaculate as a well-cut suit." -NME

"There’s no ambiguity in these words (...) there isn’t one track on the record that doesn’t wear its heart on its sleeve." -PopMatters

"If there’s one epithet to describe this album, it’s "grandiose". No opportunity is spared to slip in a choir (in the Black-esque opener Silver Lining they could be rehearsing Mozart’s Requiem) or a chorus that demands a flame thrower." -BBC

[​IMG]
    EXILE

"on close personal terms with magnificence" -The Independent

"nobody does bittersweet, post-disco comedown anthems like Hurts" -AllMusic
    "Luckily, (Theo) Hutchcraft and keyboardist Adam Anderson are also endowed with that other pomp-rock characteristic--a gift for striding, anthemic choruses that turn even the most overwrought songs into unshakeable earworms" -The Guardian
    "his yearning ennui can't bring down the track's pulsating, flamenco-steeped house beat" -AllMusic

"Though the duo sometimes return to the comparative safety of moping synthetic orchestras, and soul-reflecting mirrors lying conveniently on the Camberwell Road pavement, for the most part, there’s a new sense of fun to Hurts." -DIY Magazine
    "an album packed with skyscraping highlights" -NME
    "Desire is the sound of a group who have thoroughly found themselves and sees them standing supremely confident" -The Line of Best Fit

"while past albums mined emotions like heartbreak, fear, and isolation, Desire is characterized by optimism and joy, like a neon love letter to the band's fans." -AllMusic
    "so hook-heavy it all becomes slightly manic and terrifying" -Irish Times

PM-friendly list:
    HAPPINESS
    Silver Lining
    Wonderful Life
    Blood, Tears & Gold
    Sunday
    Stay
    Illuminated
    Evelyn
    Better Than Love
    Devotion (feat. Kylie Minogue)
    Unspoken
    The Water
    Verona
    Mother Nature
    Happiness
    Affair
    All I Want For Christmas Is New Year’s Day

EXILE
    Exile
    Miracle
    Sandman
    Blind
    Only You
    The Road
    Cupid
    Mercy
    The Crow
    Somebody To Die For
    The Rope
    Help
    Heaven
    Guilt

SURRENDER
    Surrender
    Some Kind Of Heaven
    Why
    Nothing Will Be Bigger Than Us
    Rolling Stone
    Lights
    Slow
    Kaleidoscope
    Wings
    Wish
    Perfect Timing
    Weight of the World
    Policewoman
    S.O.S.

DESIRE
    Beautiful Ones
    Ready To Go
    People Like Us
    Something I Need To Know
    Thinking Of You
    Wherever You Go
    Chaperone
    Boyfriend
    Walk Away
    Wait Up
    Spotlights
    Hold on to Me
    Magnificent

OTHER STUFF
    Under Control (feat. Calvin Harris and Alesso)
    Ecstasy (feat. Calvin Harris)

I will be making a Spotify playlist once I can make Spotify playlists again. Until then, here is their artist page on Spotify.

So remember, PM me your votes by Monday, July 8, 2019, 11:59 BST!

edit: updated to add deadline extension

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Wishlight, Conan, saviodxl and 10 others like this.
  2. Hurts are a group I never really delved into, though I did enjoy the odd single. This rate will be a good opportunity to explore their discography.

3. Was planning to have a bit of a break from rates but I cannot miss this.

Even if it means listening to Desire again ddd

4. Bit annoying seeing Desire side by the side the others since it doesn't have their name at the top. But I'm in!!

5. I am so ready for this. I will be handing out loads of 10s and unnecessarily personal commentary.

6. If we had to rate PJ rate hosts I'd 11 you @CorgiCorgiCorgi because you have chosen the best rates to run.
    This is exciting.

7. I'm working on my scores already, and I desperately wish I could give out two 11s.

I don't know whether I should give my 11 to a) the song that I personally consider in my top 10 of all time or b) give my 11 to the song that I have a feeling will actually win this and also happens to be the song that I always look forward to most when I see them live.

8. I wish I could give my 11 to this comment!

9. I cannot believe we are not rating that random cover of I Keep Forgettin'!!

Kidding. I was doing some preliminary shuffling and it came on, had totally forget about its existence.

10. If I included covers, then everyone would give their 11 to this:

11. I've never properly gotten into Hurts (always meant to), but I'm listening to the first album now and loving it. I'll try to vote!

12. I'm in! The extras are done at least whew.

13. Have now listened to Happiness twice and can confirm I love it.

All I Want for Christmas is AMAZING.

14. Okay, I've already found my 11. Playing it on repeat and crying to it. What a fucking song.

londonrain, əʊæ, Reboot and 3 others like this.
  15. I hope Chaperone leaves first.

əʊæ and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.
  16. I'm nearly done with scoring. I had to take a break from listening to Exile this morning because, as much as I love it, it's such an exhausting listen (to me).

RUNAWAY and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.
  17. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my scoring done in a couple weeks! I already know my 11 and it seems like a ridiculous choice, but hell, when it's right, it's right.

CorgiCorgiCorgi and VivaForever like this.
  18. Oh my goodness, I wonder if we have the same 11...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.