Blood, Tears & Votes: The Hurts Discography Rate. #8: I knew it right from the start | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Blood, Tears & Votes: The Hurts Discography Rate. #8: I knew it right from the start

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by CorgiCorgiCorgi, May 20, 2019.

?

which album are you rooting for?

1. Happiness

46.9%
  2. Exile

12.5%
  3. Surrender

12.5%
  4. Desire

9.4%
  5. Dedicated by Carly Rae Jepsen, out now on iTunes and Spotify

18.8%
  1. I...had no idea Wings was ever a single.

2. I suspect most of the British public thinks the same way.

3. Mother Nature at 39? The B-Side discrimination...

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  4. Wings deserved much better. It's such a Moment when they do it at concerts.

CorgiCorgiCorgi and londonrain like this.
  5. [​IMG]
    38. Something I Need To Know (6.994)
    high scores:
    10 (@roborovsky @CorgiCorgiCorgi)
    low scores: 3 (@Ana Raquel)​

You remember Keane? Or Snow Patrol, or The Fray... there were a lot of groups aiming for that anthemic Ryan Tedder-esque sound in the mid-2000s, and Hurts gave it a shot in 2017. As you can tell by my score, I think they did a darn good job with it. But clearly, not everyone did!

@abael (5) is meh about it all: "OK lyrics, underwhelming production." And @VivaForever (5) makes some fun comparisons: "Musically this is basically an amped-up retread of Stay but not as good. Lyrically it’s just that Duran Duran song."

@Untouchable Ace (6.8) asks, "How does Hurts translate into the current music climate? It doesn't sound like they know." And @Reboot (7.5) says, "This song is pretty much Hurts trying to emulate the brilliance of Stay and Wings, but without the spark that made those two songs so special. But I’ll take what I can get on this otherwise slightly disappointing album."

@OspreyQueen (8) admits, "While it’s not up there with their absolute best, this is one of the only songs from Desire I still bother with. The lyrics not only have an actual meaning rather than just being a bunch of vacuous nonsense, but they’re genuinely well-written and actually quite moving. How did THIS get on THIS album??" And @berserkboi (8.1) says it's "Strong but throwaway…" (Insert "sounds like my ex" joke here)

soratami, əʊæ, londonrain and 5 others like this.
  6. [​IMG]
    37. Magnificent (6.997)
    high scores:
    10 (@Sprockrooster)
    low scores: 4 (@Ana Raquel)​

This is fine. Not great, not bad... it's fine. Being ranked as the 37th-best Hurts song sounds about right.

@VivaForever (5) feels "like I’d enjoy this more if it were sung by someone with a bigger range - the line ‘and hope the fireworks never end’ should pop off, and it doesn’t." I could see this as a fan favorite album track on a Panic at the Disco album, now that you mention it...

@abael (5) jokes, "Magnificent? This one? I don't hear it." And @RUNAWAY (6) "was so glad when this song was over."

@OspreyQueen (7) reluctantly says, "Ehh, the romantic in me likes this one despite it sounding like it was made for X Factor montages. Have a semi-decent score."

@Reboot (8) is conflicted: "Is this song actually good or is it just good compared to the rest of the album? I’m torn." And @berserkboi (8.7) goes full Aretha with "Some aspects are gorgeous!"

@londonrain (9.5) name-drops a few X Factor montage standbys: "Can you sing Beneath Your Beautiful over this? Of course you can. (You can even sing Back For Good over most of it.) I still think it’s quite a sweet little song, though."

soratami, əʊæ, abael and 7 others like this.
  7. Tomorrow we break the 7.0 mark! Both songs got multiple 10s! It's gonna be horrible, I can't wait!

soratami, əʊæ, londonrain and 4 others like this.
  8. It already is.

9. It will be a Return To Bloodweiser Camp as per the PJ00s Round run by @Hudweiser!

10. People do the absolute most with Desire. How these two outlasted Cupid is beyond me.

11. Same for Exile to be honest.

12. Yeah, I only just realised we are already down to the last 3 tracks for Desire, (2 of its best and another good one at least.) Yet 8 tracks remaining for Exile? How did I not see this turning so dark.

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  13. No results for today (possibly tomorrow), my husband's having some health issues so I'm focusing on that. If it looks like I'll be out for a while I will find someone else to do the rest of the reveals, don't worry!

14. Oh my. Take care. Speaking for myself I can say there is no rush and I can wait. Big hug!

15. No problems here, I can wait. Hope your husband feels better soon.

16. Thanks everybody! He's doing much better now, urgent care clinics are a godsend. Back to the eliminations!

[​IMG]
    36. Affair (7.01)
    high scores:
    10 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi @Reboot @tylerc904 @RUNAWAY)
    low scores: 3 (@soratami)​

I am losing so many 10s lately! Affair is a classy little number with deceptively-simple lyrics. But Theo sings the hell out of it, and the instrumental is one of the best of their whole discography. It's one of their longest songs, clocking in at almost six and a half minutes - and it keeps your attention the entire time.

@abael (4): "It all seemed a bit off-sync, not good especially for a longer song."

@berserkboi (9.9): "Gorgeous!"

@Reboot (10): "The production of this song is up there with their best, and I kind of wish they had more songs like it. There’s something about this song that just takes me somewhere else. I loved it when they randomly decided to perform it on their Surrender tour."

@RUNAWAY (10): "this was the only other contender for my 11. I’ve been in love with this song since the day some kind soul posted it on here when the Wonderful Life single came out. This song is so gorgeous, lush, and perfect. It’s 6 minutes and 26 seconds of PERFECTION."

17. [​IMG]
    35. Slow (7.02)

high scores:
    10 (@OspreyQueen @berserkboi)
    low scores: 5 (@abael @VivaForever @saviodxl @Sprockrooster)​

Billie Eilish who? This ominous bop isn't the easiest song to listen to, but it's still quite the ride. What it lacks in accessibility, it makes up for in originality. I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been used in more TV shows and movies - I feel like it could be great for, like, a nightclub fight scene in one of those dark-n-gritty superhero shows. (I miss Daredevil...)

@abael (5): "One of the better songs lyrically, but it could've been composed in a better way."

@VivaForever (5): "Skip a beat and move with my body. Yeah. Slow. Slow."

@saviodxl (5): "The daunting synths were not enough to keep the whole song interesting this time. Sorry lads."

@Untouchable Ace (9.7): "Almost experimental and uneasy. Maybe because you either want the tempo faster or slower. I guess it's a negotiative dance for short term companionship."

@berserkboi (10): "Amazing!"

@OspreyQueen (10): "Goddammit, why don’t they have more songs like this? The production is so odd and off-kilter for them, and it creates an absolutely gorgeous mood."

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  18. That's good news, in reference to both your husband and this rate.

19. Who knew @OspreyQueen and I would agree on so many tracks here? Since she also once 12ed Erreur 404 - we'll call it consistent taste!

20. I made a quick correction to the Slow elimination - forgot to add @Untouchable Ace's commentary. Whoops!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.