Blood, Tears & Votes: The Hurts Discography Rate. #8: I knew it right from the start | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Blood, Tears & Votes: The Hurts Discography Rate. #8: I knew it right from the start

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by CorgiCorgiCorgi, May 20, 2019.

?

which album are you rooting for?

1. Happiness

46.9%
  2. Exile

12.5%
  3. Surrender

12.5%
  4. Desire

9.4%
  5. Dedicated by Carly Rae Jepsen, out now on iTunes and Spotify

18.8%
  1. Hmm... it does feature on Happiness. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

2. Sunday and Rolling Stone are also incredible and would be in tight competition for my 11 if it weren't for my actual 11.

3. I have sent in my scores. I've handed out twenty 10s, including my 11.....

4. As the ballots roll in, I'm pleased to report that my 11 remains in the top 10.

One album has been completely shut out of the top 10! Which one do you think it is?

berserkboi and OspreyQueen like this.
  5. Gee that's a toughie.

londonrain and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.
  6. Dedicated by Carly Rae Jepsen, out now on iTunes and Spotify?

7. Honestly I'm happy I'm discovering them post-Surrender. If Exile were their most recent album when I discovered them, I'd write them off as having peaked with album 1 with nowhere else to go.

Desire is just okay (it's too Train for me), but Exile is easily my least favorite of the four.

8. Have written a full page (single-spaced, 11-point Arial) of commentary on my 11.

londonrain, soratami, əʊæ and 2 others like this.
  9. This track is not available in my country and I can't seem to find it anywhere :(

əʊæ likes this.
  10. This is an S.O.S. indeed (Save Our @saviodxl)!

Do any of these work? If not, I'll just upload it to Soundcloud when I get home.

11. I'd rank them Happiness, Surrender, Desire and Exile as well though many do not care for Surrender.

CorgiCorgiCorgi likes this.
  12. Many are wrong.

londonrain and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.
  13. I'd probably say

1. Happiness / Surrender
    2. Exile

666. The other one

14. A 'track 7' tisane.

15. Random post, but I have accidentally stumbled upon Hurts' shoutbox on last.fm, and it's so funny to scroll back in time through the comments and see users getting upset that "Surrender is a mainstream pop album" and that "they have sold out with Desire". I think people keep forgetting that Hurts were a pop act from day one, and have described themselves as such.

That said, I'm curious to find out if/how these opinions may be reflected in the top 10 on here.

16. To be fair though, they kinda did sell out with Desire. "Mainstream pop" is by no means a bad thing (Surrender's a perfectly solid album), but it's obvious they just wanted to coast along on playlist streams with that era.

Untouchable Ace and VivaForever like this.
  17. I'd agree with Desire being very "mainstream" and "basic white man pop song on Spotify", but I also have to laugh whenever I see fans getting angry over it. I've dabbled in online Hurts fandom a little bit (on Tumblr, where most of the fans are mostly female), and seeing the reactions from Surrender onwards has been ... interesting.

VivaForever and OspreyQueen like this.
  18. I've been revisiting their whole catalog in preparation for this rate, and I'm honestly blown away at how consistently strong their material has been. They really don't have a bad album. To me their only slight blip was Desire. It still has a lot to offer, but it's definitely their Love + Fear catering-to-the-locals autopilot album.

I have to say I'm surprised to see Exile ranking low with some people. I guess expectations were sky high after the debut, but it's such an epic cinematic listening experience. Might be my favorite.

berserkboi likes this.
  19. Finished.

Happiness: Low 0 x 1 - High 11 x 1, 10 x 2 - Average 6.81
    Exile: Low 3 x 1 - High 8 x 1 - Average 4.79 (ddd)
    Surrender: Low 5 x 3 - High 10 x 1 - Average 6.85 (this excludes the intro)
    Desire: Low 4 x 1 - High 9 x 1 - Average 6.08

Interesting that Surrender came out higher than Happiness. Must have overscored it slightly...

20. You would not believe the current #1 song.

londonrain, soratami, əʊæ and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.