Blood, Tears & Votes: The Hurts Discography Rate. WE HAVE A WINNER | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

Blood, Tears & Votes: The Hurts Discography Rate. WE HAVE A WINNER

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by CorgiCorgiCorgi, May 20, 2019.

?

which album are you rooting for?

1. Happiness

48.6%
  2. Exile

14.3%
  3. Surrender

11.4%
  4. Desire

8.6%
  5. Dedicated by Carly Rae Jepsen, out now on iTunes and Spotify

17.1%
  1. [​IMG]
    28. Heaven (7.26)
    high scores:
    10 (@Reboot)
    low scores: 4 (@abael)​

This bouncy little number would fit in perfectly on Desire. Unfortunately, it was recorded for Exile, which is probably why it's relegated to bonus track hell. On one hand, it adds some nice contrast to a very bleak album; on the other hand, it's quite jarring to hear right after the quiet and melodramatic album closer Help.

@abael (4): Sounds like how someone who hates U2 would hear U2.

@OspreyQueen (8.5): Despite being one of my favourite albums of all time, I genuinely didn’t know until this rate that Exile had deluxe tracks. Evidently I was missing out, because this is a total banger.

@Untouchable Ace (8.9): This ones really only about the O's and nothing else. Especially the middle 8 which I don't think works here.

@berserkboi (9.8): Reminds me of Sunday a bit, which is a great thing!

@Reboot (10): A bop. Should have been a single, really.

2. [​IMG]
    27. Exile (7.36)
    high scores:
    10 (@Reboot @Ana Raquel)
    low scores: 4 (@VivaForever )​

Four Exile tracks fall in a row - this time, it's the title track. This ominous little number always reminded me of Muse covering Metallica, which sounds awful in theory, but somehow it works here. The intricate production is a real highlight, not only of this song, but of the album as a whole - it's constantly slowly building up, until it just explodes about three and a half minutes in.

@RUNAWAY (6): this is their worst opening track, absolutely. Goes nowhere, and it’s just a drag to get through.

@abael (7): Hurts comes back with an angrier tone, which, while this is well done, I hope isn't a trend.

@OspreyQueen (9): I don’t often listen to this on its own, it’s an album intro to me. But fuck, what an intro. The siren-like synths and the tremorous (if that’s not a real word, it is now) guitars set the desolate apocalyptic vibe of the album perfectly.)

@berserkboi (9.3): This really comes alive from that midway part, hey?

@Untouchable Ace (9.6): It takes a little while to get where it's going. I wouldn't have this as opening track.

@Reboot (10): I got into Hurts after I’d survived a brief but slightly terrible brush with depression in 2010. I felt happy at the time, and I thought things couldn’t possibly get any worse. After all, all my favourite artists were releasing good music and I finally found a course at university that I was good at. Unfortunately, things still managed to get pretty terrible. In 2012/2013 I fell into a really bad depression that sucked my enjoyment out of everything, even my favourite bands. Weirdly my brain decided to punish me by making me hate all the music that had ever made me happy. Hurts were the only band I could still get myself to listen to, and ironically they decided to release their darkest album during a period when the only thing I could relate to was, well, dark music. As a result, I don’t really listen to Exile that much – as a whole – anymore. The album is a window into how I was feeling at the time, and I’d rather not be reminded of 2013 that much. HOWEVER, the album is really good and the title song is one of their best. I adore the Freemasons remix.

Tomorrow... an 11 falls.......

3. Oh for fuck's sake Happiness isn't that bloody good.

4. Good to see the Exile exile, unfortunate the track 'Exile' is among them. Somebody To Die For is still in right? That shouldn't be the case if so.

Exile

5. Indeed it is! Here's what's left:

6. This culling of two albums which are not that much weaker than the rest is kind of tragic.

7. I just realised there's only 8 songs I really care for left - 4 on Happiness, 3 on Exile, and 1 on Surrender. So I only got 8 scores above 8 in the top 26. Dayumm, I've never got the majority of my faves annihilated so early on. But at the bright side, my 11 rarely makes it past top 30 so it's give-and-take, I suppose.

8. jtm

jtm

Exile was a moment as the opening track of their.. well Exile tour.

berserkboi and CorgiCorgiCorgi like this.
  9. Some really good Exile tracks being thrown out with the dross there.

I’m surprised Lights is here but I suspect it won’t be for much longer. Evelyn and Unspoken had better go before Miracle, Blind or the two remaining Desire tracks...

10. [​IMG]
    26. The Water
    high scores:
    11 (@abael), 10 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi)
    low scores: 4.25 (@saviodxl)​

We lose our first 11, and what a song it is! With its sparse, haunting piano and delicate vocals, The Water could have easily faded into the background behind Happiness's other more bombastic tracks - but if you ask me, it's one of the album's highlights. I'm not sure if the water is supposed to represent addiction, or depression, or a recent breakup, but whichever way you interpret it, it's a gorgeous song that everyone's identified with at some point or another.

@Reboot (7): This reminds me a lot of my depression . . . or of when I used to be super depressed, anyway. There was a time when it felt like my depression was always hiding, always ready to strike whenever it felt like it . . . and that I’d never really get rid of it. As a result, I haven’t really listened to The Water as much as the rest of the album. It hits a bit too close to home for me. It’s pretty, though.

@Untouchable Ace (9.3): Literal sad sombre, not the melancholy we are used to. Tears on the parquetry as apposed to tears on the dancefloor.

@berserkboi (9.6): There really is something in that vocal tone, hey?

@abael (11): They did IT. They worked that piano for all its impact possible.

11. [​IMG]
    25. Happiness
    high scores:
    10 (@OspreyQueen @RUNAWAY @londonrain)
    low scores: 4 (@Sprockrooster)​

Happiness is like The Water's polar opposite - an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink maximalist banger. The terse vocals, bubbling frustration, and pounding synths really make this ode to resentment into something cathartic and relatable.

@Sprockrooster (4): A bit weird that this feels unfinished while being the namegiver of the album. Glad the album was not built around this track as the title of the album would imply cause it would have made this stellar album something else.

@VivaForever (6): I hate when people name an album after a B-side/bonus track. (Looking at you, Ellie. And Roxette.)

@abael (7): A bop that is just a little bit too wonky to overlook.

@Untouchable Ace (8.8): Now this one is great but maybe it didn't fit well on the main album which is unfortunate.

@berserkboi (9.1): Very good, just not on par with the rest!

@OspreyQueen (10): This should have been the main album’s primary bop instead of Better Than Love.

@londonrain (10): I remember downloading this as a freebie from Amazon MP3 back in the day. A menacing bop.

@RUNAWAY (10): how this was wasted as a Japan-only bonus track, I don’t understand. This was somehow a trend around the time this album was released, as I remember Marina leaving The Family Jewels as Japan-only, and Ellie had Lights as some online exclusive (ddddd) and then Brandon Flowers did it again with The Desired Effect. I’ve never understood it. Anyway this is a Natasha Denona palette....... great song!

12. I saw that title and instantly heard “don’t giiiiiiiive it awaaaaayyyy”...

Boo to these two leaving so soon. #25 and #26 aren’t too bad, I guess, but Happiness in particular deserved better.

13. Darn, I knew The Water never was really in it to win it, but it's still undoubtedly my favourite from them. I'll just be happy it fell on the good side of halfway.

14. [​IMG]
    24. Evelyn (7.50)
    high scores:
    10 (@Remorque)
    low scores: 5 (@abael @OspreyQueen @CorgiCorgiCorgi)​

Honestly, I'm surprised Evelyn made it this far. We've lost much better songs from Happiness - that The Water elimination still stings! - and I don't really see this song discussed very often. The production's fine, the vocals are lovely, but the lyrics are far from their best, and it seems to drag on for quite a while - which is pretty damning for a song less than 4 minutes long. I think this is one of those songs that's better in live performances than in the studio.

@abael (5): Weak song that tries too many production tricks to distract from that fact.

@OspreyQueen (5): “Stay with me Evelyn, don’t leave me with the medicine” is…not a good line to base 50% of the song on.)

@saviodxl (6): Good enough, but I prefer Susie

@berserkboi (9.5): I need a song by them with my name next!!

15. [​IMG]
    23. Unspoken (7.56)
    high scores:
    10 (@roborovsky @berserkboi)
    low scores: 5 (@əʊæ)​

That's right, Happiness has lost four songs in a row, leveling the playing field between albums a little bit! I always saw this song as a counterpart to Devotion - saying he'd rather be alone than be the other man. It's a lovely song, well-performed and well-produced, but it's not quite as memorable as the rest of the album. And for an album as strong as Happiness, you've gotta be a 10/10 to stand out.

@abael (8): A vocal standout on the album, great approach to the inevitable ballad.

@OspreyQueen (8): A gorgeous song, but if I have to whinge about one thing it’s that I wish it had a more obvious structure. It sort of sounds like a long interlude.

@berserkboi (10): Giving the Sugababes a run for their money for best debut album!

16. Where is that song professing your love to @berserkboi Theo?? I am still waiting!!!

EDIT - now Unspoken goes too?? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

17. @abael finally using their powers for good I see.

18. Noooo!!! Evelyn is such a highlight to me. It's so dramatic and haunting. Deserved to go further...

Shoulda 10'd it.

I'm ready to bin most of what's left from Surrender now -- Kaleidoscope & Lights especially.

CorgiCorgiCorgi and berserkboi like this.
  19. Sis...

20. [​IMG]
    22. Why (7.64)
    high scores:
    10 (@Reboot @saviodxl @RUNAWAY @Untouchable Ace)
    low scores: 5 (@roborovsky @soratami @VivaForever @əʊæ)​

Like many other songs on Surrender, this is an absolute banger that's just a bit too surface-level. The production's great, the vocals are on point, it's catchy as hell - but it doesn't leave quite as much of a lasting impression as their other material. #22 seems like the right spot.

The studio version of this isn't on Youtube so here's a relevant Vine:

@OspreyQueen (7) I’d be lying if I said I didn’t like this one, but these lyrics were totally a prelude to the overwhelming banality of Desire.

@abael (8) They may never be master songwriters, the attention to the beat keeps this strong.

@berserkboi (9.6) Impressive enough

@Reboot (10) This is so catchy.

@Untouchable Ace (10): If they were one of the biggest acts ever this would be one of the cult classics. Sad bop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.