❃ BoA - The Discography Rate (Part 2) ❃ - #80 | The Popjustice Forum

❃ BoA - The Discography Rate (Part 2) ❃ - #80

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Crisp X, May 10, 2022.

1. [​IMG]

~ We meet again, K-Popjustice! ~

It's been a full year since the winner of the first part of BoA's discography rate was revealed. Meanwhile, our beloved chanteuse hasn't stopped working as she took judge duties for Mnet Dance program Street Woman Fighter, joined fellow SM Entertainment idols in the K-Pop supergroup GOT the Beat, and started celebrating the 20th anniversary of her Japanese debut, with a self-cover album on the way. Before we get to the details of this rate, let's do a quick recap!

Born as Kwon Bo-ah, BoA is a South Korean singer, dancer, songwriter, record producer and actress. She was first discovered when she followed her older brother to an SM Entertainment audition in 1998. After two years of intensive training, she debuted at the age of 13 in Korea with the album ID; Peace B in 2000. In parallel, she joined Avex Trax, allowing her to debut in Japan in 2001, and later becoming the first non-Japanese Asian singer to hit number one on Japanese charts. Since then, she has released 20 albums in total. Recognized as one of the most successful entertainers in Korea, she has also been rewarded with more than 50 awards.

Throughout her sprawling career, BoA has dabbled in a variety of genres. Nevertheless, she has remained distinguishable thanks to her distinctive tone and her often frenetic choreography, commonly giving her the title of Queen of K-pop. Having accomplished so much now at 35, she is highly regarded in the entertainment industry, with generations of people looking up to her.

The second part of this rate will take a look on the rest of her first decade as an active artist, that found her pivot her career to the Japanese market while she was preparing for her highly anticipated US debut on the side. The songlist will span from her fifth Korean album Girls On Top in 2005 to the deluxe edition of her first self-titled English album BoA in 2009, totaling up to 90 songs.

But once again, which one will you crown?

[​IMG]
    1. Please give the 90 songs listed below a score between 0 and 10. ONE song will get your 11. I will also allow scores in simple decimals such as .25, .50, and .75. You can use any of the playlists posted below to help you guide your listening and rating journey!​

2. Commentary is encouraged, but not required!

3. Please refrain from trolling. At this point, I don't doubt that any potential voter must find most of her discography to their liking, so I trust you not to come up with any troll ballot nn.​

4. Some songs have Korean and Japanese versions. The songlist was put together by mainly picking the versions that were released first, but feel free to score whichever you prefer.

5. Send me your ballot containing your scores and the accompanying commentary in a PM by​

16th July 2022 @ 12:00 AM GMT

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Girls On Top

MOTO
    둘이 함께 (Do You Love Me?)
    Girls On Top
    오늘 그댈 본다면 (If you were here)
    Love Can Make a Miracle
    집착 (Addiction)
    Freak In Me
    공중정원 (Garden In The Air)
    I Spy
    Can’t Let Go
    시선 (Heroine)
    숨… (Breathe Again)
    가을편지 (Autumn Letter)

[​IMG]

OUTGROW

Silent Screamerz
    DO THE MOTION
    キミのとなりで
    OUTGROW ~Ready butterfly~
    make a secret
    Everlasting (Korean version)
    LONG TIME NO SEE
    cosmic eyes
    抱きしめる
    Love is just what you can’t see
    Stay My Gold
    soundscape
    With U

[​IMG]

MADE IN TWENTY (20)

Lady Galaxy
    七色の明日 ~brand new beat~
    Winter Love
    STILL.
    SO REAL
    KEY OF HEART
    OUR LOVE ~to my parents~
    no more make me sick
    Revolution-CODE:1986-1105 Feat. RAH-D
    Your Color
    Prayer
    Candle Lights
    Gracious Days
    LAST CHRISTMAS

[​IMG]

THE FACE

AGGRESSIVE
    Sweet Impact
    My Way, Your Way feat. WISE
    be with you.
    LOSE YOUR MIND feat. Yutaka Furukawa from DOPING PANDA
    Girl In The Mirror
    Happy Birthday
    Diamond Heart
    LOVE LETTER
    BRAVE
    ギャップにやられた!
    Style
    Smile again
    Beautiful Flowers
    Best Friend

[​IMG]

BoA
    2009.03.17 (Standard)
    2009.08.31 (Deluxe)

I Did It For Love feat. Sean Garrett
    Energetic
    Did Ya
    Look Who's Talking
    Eat You Up
    Obsessed
    Touched
    Scream
    Girls On Top
    Dress Off
    Hypnotic Dancefloor
    Control
    Crazy About

[​IMG]

Extras

Before you said goodbye to me
    White Christmas
    赤鼻のトナカイ
    First snow
    슬픔은 넘쳐도 (People Say…)
    TRF meets BoA - survival dAnce ~no no cry more~
    Touch
    DOTCH
    Sunshine
    Bad Drive
    이브의 경고 (feat. Shindong)
    안개
    Hey Boy, Hey Girl feat. BoA
    12월 27일 (On December 27th)
    precious
    Kissing you
    Sparkling
    Joyful Smile
    Believe in LOVE feat. BoA
    永遠
    UNIVERSE feat. Crystal Kay & VERBAL (m-flo)
    Girlfriend feat. BoA

MOTO
    둘이 함께 (Do You Love Me?)
    Girls On Top
    오늘 그댈 본다면 (If you were here)
    Love Can Make a Miracle
    집착 (Addiction)
    Freak In Me
    공중정원 (Garden In The Air)
    I Spy
    Can’t Let Go
    시선 (Heroine)
    숨… (Breathe Again)
    가을편지 (Autumn Letter)
    Silent Screamerz
    DO THE MOTION
    キミのとなりで
    OUTGROW ~Ready butterfly~
    make a secret
    Everlasting
    LONG TIME NO SEE
    cosmic eyes
    抱きしめる
    Love is just what you can’t see
    Stay My Gold
    soundscape
    With U
    Lady Galaxy
    七色の明日 ~brand new beat~
    Winter Love
    STILL.
    SO REAL
    KEY OF HEART
    OUR LOVE ~to my parents~
    no more make me sick
    Revolution-CODE:1986-1105 Feat. RAH-D
    Your Color
    Prayer
    Candle Lights
    Gracious Days
    LAST CHRISTMAS
    AGGRESSIVE
    Sweet Impact
    My Way, Your Way feat. WISE
    be with you.
    LOSE YOUR MIND feat. Yutaka Furukawa from DOPING PANDA
    Girl In The Mirror
    Happy Birthday
    Diamond Heart
    LOVE LETTER
    BRAVE
    ギャップにやられた!
    Style
    Smile again
    Beautiful Flowers
    Best Friend
    I Did It For Love feat. Sean Garrett
    Energetic
    Did Ya
    Look Who's Talking
    Eat You Up
    Obsessed
    Touched
    Scream
    Girls On Top
    Dress Off
    Hypnotic Dancefloor
    Control
    Crazy About
    Before you said goodbye to me
    White Christmas
    赤鼻のトナカイ
    First snow
    슬픔은 넘쳐도 (People Say…)
    TRF meets BoA - survival dAnce ~no no cry more~
    Touch
    DOTCH
    Sunshine
    Bad Drive
    이브의 경고 (feat. Shindong)
    안개
    Hey Boy, Hey Girl feat. BoA
    12월 27일 (On December 27th)
    precious
    Kissing you
    Sparkling
    Joyful Smile
    Believe in LOVE feat. BoA
    永遠
    UNIVERSE feat. Crystal Kay & VERBAL (m-flo)
    Girlfriend feat. BoA

PLAYLISTS

YouTube (+ MVs only)

If anything is missing, please refer to the Spotify playlist below.

Spotify

Missing or unavailable tracks:

All songs from BoA (check them out on the YouTube playlist instead)
    White Christmas
    赤鼻のトナカイ
    Touch
    Sunshine

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  3. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

If you need another reserved post, I'll be happy to delete this but I just want to say YAAAAAAAAAAS!

@Crisp X you're a queen, and I can't wait to start rating this ICONIC section of her discography <3

Remorque, evilsin, ohdenny and 7 others like this.
  4. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

5. I missed the first rate but I think I NEED to participate in this one.

6. It's finally time to skull drag the english album!

Remorque, Crisp X and RUNAWAY like this.
  7. I’ve been so so excited for this, can’t wait!! Thanks for hosting @Crisp X ! A stupid amount of potential 11s here.

Remorque, evilsin, RUNAWAY and 3 others like this.
  8. I'm still here!

[​IMG]

How is everyone's ballot getting along?

Anyway, I wanted to tell you I managed to find the studio version of survival dAnce ~no no cry more~ on Spotify after all. I also included the Japanese version of DOTCH on the latter as well, whereas the YouTube playlist contains the Korean one only. Just in case anyone has a preference! As a result, the playlists have been updated as well. Let me know if anything goes missing during the voting period I hope that won't happen but you know how fickle YouTube and streaming services can be nn

Also there may be Part 1 voters that haven't been made aware of this thread yet, so expect a tagging post later tonight x

Remorque, soratami, Monado and 8 others like this.
  9. I was watching her latest video The Greatest today when I thought of how immense and packed the discography is, so I’m excited to join in again.

This era of her career is so up and down in terms of so many JPN releases and then only one Korean album. But I am ready to give Outgrow their flowers, and really see how some of these album tracks land.

there aren’t obvious baby BoA vocals that would place songs in the bottom, so it’ll be interesting to see where things end up!

Remorque, RUNAWAY and Crisp X like this.
  10. There really isn’t an obvious winner in this rate so I’m curious to see what wins.

Remorque, evilsin, clowezra and 2 others like this.
  11. I can't believe it's been almost 20 days and you haven't even tagged me about this, @Crisp X. Not @RUNAWAY beeing a shady little binch and not mentioning this for me as well...

Having said that:
    [​IMG]
    It is the period of her career that is nearest and dearest to my heart after all.

Remorque, mi|kshake, ohdenny and 3 others like this.
  12. I've looked through the songlist and I have a question: why is "IZM feat. VERBAL" is included when it's the b-side for "BUMP BUMP feat. VERBAL" is which is single from "Identity". Shouldn't it be included in Part III of the rate?

13. Oop... you're correct! Including it in Part 2 is a mistake on my part nn. I might have noticed it was released within Part 2's timeline (2005-2009) while omitting the fact it's from an era that will be covered in Part 3.

I can remove it from the songlist if no one is objecting to it? I've already received a ballot though.

soratami, evilsin and RUNAWAY like this.
  14. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

I don't object. It's definitely an IDENTITY era song, so let's rate it with the rest of that (amazing) album <3

Crisp X and evilsin like this.
  15. [​IMG]

Hi! If you're getting tagged here, it's because of your participation in Part 1 of the BoA rate, or because you liked promotional posts about this one. If you are interested in participating, let me know how your ballot is coming along, and whether an extension is needed. Otherwise, I won't mention you in future tagging rounds!

@_hazzie_
    @aaronhansome
    @An Insider
    @Ana Raquel
    @BEST FICTION

soratami, evilsin, RUNAWAY and 2 others like this.
  16. [​IMG]

Hi! If you're getting tagged here, it's because of your participation in Part 1 of the BoA rate, or because you liked promotional posts about this one. If you are interested in participating, let me know how your ballot is coming along, and whether an extension is needed. Otherwise, I won't mention you in future tagging rounds!

@boombazookajoe
    @askew
    @Attis
    @clowezra
    @codecat

soratami, evilsin, Attis and 5 others like this.
  17. [​IMG]

@Cutlery
    @eatyourself
    @Empty Shoebox
    @evilsin
    @junglefish

soratami, evilsin, RUNAWAY and 2 others like this.
  18. [​IMG]

@Kaz D'Oerba
    @KimLippington
    @Love Deluxe
    @M24
    @mi|kshake

soratami, evilsin, mi|kshake and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.