Boney M | The Popjustice Forum

Boney M

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Paintbrush, Jun 3, 2009.

1. My mum had their greatest hits on during a barbecue over the weekend. Forgotten just how genius their music was. Ma Baker, Daddy Cool, Rasputin anybody?

2. We used to listen to their 'Nightflight to Venus' album on vinyl when I was a nipper, great pop tunes, but it's all about 'We Kill the World' for me (though the 'Don't Kill the World' half is lame).

Didn't only 2 of them actually sing?

3. Actually, only one of the girls sang and Frank Farian (the producer) did the dancing dudes voice.

I really like Boney M., the only good classic 70's Disco group to come out of Europe.

4. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

'Rasputin' is one of my favourite songs ever. Their greatest hits is quite good indeed.

(PS I think this should be in the retirement village)

5. There's always a part of me that wants to burst out singing 'Brown girl in de ring, TRA LA LA LA-LA!' quite a lot.

That and 'Mary's Boy Child' are the Boney M songs that never escape my head.

6. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

NOOOOOO! All I need is for someone to say that song title and it'll now be in my head for approximately 15 years.

7. I bet good odds it'll be 25.

8. I AGREE. If we don't try to keep some order here everything will go to SHIT. Boney M will bring down Popjustice.

I love Boney M. 'Ma Baker' is my favourite I think. Although I did play 'Daddy Cool' constantly about two years ago, it was one of my most-played for ages. It's so uncool now it's very cool because no one thinks it's cool. Yes.

(And I can listen to 'Mary's Boy Child' at any time of year; it and Mariah's famous song (if I say it I'll want to play it) are the only ones that can claim that honour.)

p.s. This thread title should have a . at the end of it because that's how they write it. Can't you people do things properly, etc. etc.

9. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

What is with you silly people praising songs as your favourite that clearly aren't 'Rasputin'?

Everybody now:

RAH RAH RASPUTIN LOVER OF THE RUSSIAN QUEEN

Amazing.

10. Oh, those Russians...

11. For some reason my favourite (apart from Rasputin, obviously) is Never Change Lovers in the Middle of the Night. It has an unintentionally comic moment when they pronounce 'groping in the dark' as 'grouping in the dark'. Ahem.

12. You beat me to it, god damn it.

FREEEZZZZZE I'M MA BAKER, PUT YE HANDS IN THE AIR N GIMME ALL YER MONEY.

Baby Clyde likes this.
  13. That's cool.

There's a Boney M. discotheque in Gran Canaria, there was a plane flying around towing a banner advertising it as "not just for young people!"

Painter Man is a tune and a half too.

14. passionoia

passionoia Moderator

Sorry to be picky but two of the girls sang, one was the more prominent lead singer (though the other did get to lead the odd song too) but both girls featured on pretty much all their hits and often shared the lead (Rasputin and Ma Baker for example).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv53gKx0cyo

Totally amazing, why don't girl groups of today wield tommy guns while wearing fur and smoking cigars? It's a sad state of affairs.

15. You're right, I was listening to "Take the Heat Off Me" recently and that other Girl sung lead on that one. It's a great sleazy Disco-track.

16. I love "Mary's boy child", it's so good when one Easter at a friend's party they put on the Boney M album, me and my friend Martin walked home singing "Mary's boy child" afterwards. It's in your heard for HOURS.

On the other hand, I've found Boney M created the ultimate anti-earworm medicine - Brown Girl in the Ring. If you get a song stuck in your head and you can't get it out, just start chanting "Brown Girl in the ring TRA-LA-LA-LA-LA!" and before you know it, you'll have that song stuck in your head instead. Fifteen minutes later, it will empty itself out of your head leaving unable to remember what was in your head previously. (Or at least it works that way for me).

17. I've been on stage with two original members. (And two new ones.) And I danced.

I hate the way the version of Rasputin on the greatest hits fades out suddenly.
    Is there a long version?

18. I've always had a soft spot for Painter Man. :)

Mainly for the line Dirty postcards coulda done...

19. Pye

Pye

Sorry to bump this thread.

I loved Boney M as a child but other than having one of their greatest hit' Cd's I haven't really bothered exploring them until tonight. Ive been catching up on all the interviews on Youtube and actually watched some of their official videos for the first time. I don't actually remember ever seeing any of the videos as they always seemed to appear in person on Top Of The Pops. I quite surprised how sexual the 'Ma Baker video is......Maizie was always my favorite.......

As a kid I thought they were amazing but as I got older considered them naff well I have rectified that tonight and now can see their brilliance again.

All these years I thought the 3 girls were German!

[video=youtube;yLzqMJQzzcA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLzqMJQzzcA[/video]

Baby Clyde likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.