Booksmart | The Popjustice Forum

Booksmart

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by aboutyounow, May 26, 2019.

1. I can not recommend this film enough. It’s not your atypical coming of age story, this adds to the conversation and feels so real.

Beanie and Kaitlyn are amazing together and their on screen chemistry makes them feel like real life best friends rather than actresses in roles.

This truly feels like the first 10/10 film of the year, for me personally.

Slice of Life, stuaw and slaybellz like this.
  2. Perfect film!

The characters, music, script were all excellent. Olivia Wilde did an amazing job with this.

stuaw, slaybellz and aboutyounow like this.
  3. I'm gonna see it this weekend

stuaw likes this.
  4. What a fucking film. Might be the best thing I see this year.

Dare I say it deserves similar Oscar attention to Ladybird...

Slice of Life, stuaw and slaybellz like this.
  5. I am curious why they released it this month? I guess having an alternative to the blockbusters is good but it has the potential to get overshadowed.

6. One of the best films I’ve seen this year! Definitely in my Top 5 films so far this year. Hilarious.

There were lots of stand out scenes, but for some reason the two scenes with them complimenting each other have stuck with me. “Who gave you permission to take my breath away?”

And the drug/doll scene, natch.

Slice of Life and scottdisick94 like this.
  7. Have seen twice now and it is absolute perfection. Cannot recommend enough. The film of the year thus far, and maybe the first truly great teen comedy since Easy A.

Billie Lourd steals every frame she’s in.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  8. The type of movie that you wanna watch 20 more times the second it finishes.

9. The more I think about it, the more I think this is my favourite film this year.

10. I'm sure it was an attempt to strike a chord with teens graduating.

11. Loved it! Olivia Wilde really knows how to handle comedy and depth of characters. The scene in the bathroom really struck a chord with me - the cold truth of realizing you're not a better person than everyone else is always bitter.

Too bad the release strategy was majorly fucked-up by Annapurna; it's bombing in the US and the Netflix release in Europe is very underwhelming. This had the potential of being the next indie fever if correctly handled.

12. Same here. I was bullied throughout high school and the one thing I had over all of the losers who verbally abused me on a daily basis was my intelligence and the fact that I was going to go to Uni and get the hell out of there.

This film really is brilliant. I went to see it the week it came out in the UK and there was one showing at my city centre Vue. I just don't understand it. I'm hoping it'll get the cult following that Mean Girls has, there is so much to love about it and it deserves it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  13. Me and my Mum are off to see this on Wednesday. Can’t wait.

14. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

A genuinely perfect movie. Its underperformance at the box office is so disheartening.

15. OK, this was hilarious and genuinely touching.

16. I somewhat quite like Judd Apatow films, but for all the reviewers to call it a female version of ‘Superbad’ was quite a disservice.

Slice of Life, Alphableat and stuaw like this.
  17. This was such a great movie and gorgeously filmed, too. I’d really like to see Beanie in more films, she was excellent in this and Lady Bird.

18. THIS WAS INCREDIBLE.

Billie Lourd in particular was amazing, but the whole thing was wonderfully cast and performed.

That it pretty much bombed everywhere sucks, but it’ll have a long life beyond its theatrical window.

19. Yep, I actually think it’s the first 5 star new film I’ve watched this year.
    Let me just say, it’s wildly accurate, honestly hysterical, and deserves to be seen amongst all those actiony mega-blockbusters that are populating the start of summer.
    Give it a go!

VitaminBee likes this.
  20. Also Lykke’s cover of Unchained Melody was put to the best use.

Slice of Life, VitaminBee and steste like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.