BPG CLASSIQUE 2011 - The End

Well. Alright then.

Sense and muscle memory are strange things in how they can unlock the past in ways traditional recollection cannot. How the smell of barbecue suddenly and viscerally reminds you of the stench of burning flesh on the battlefield that was the final days of The Fame Monster thread. How old scars obtained in deadly fights with Mr Telephone Man throb at the sound of a Britney Spears song. How your eyes passing over a red haired Rihanna on a £3 t-shirt in Cancer Research suddenly triggers a blackout and next thing you know, the volunteer shop assistant in her sixties is begging you to remove your hand from her throat. How hearing Beyoncé's voice on anything pre-2013 feels like an alternate reality. Trauma is the ultimate killer, and I have no doubt that the trauma I sustained from logging into THIS every day in 2011:

Untitled.png

...will be what kills me in the end. Memories are not recycled like atoms and particles in quantum physics. They can be lost forever. It's sort of like my past on this forum is an unfinished painting, and as the artist of that painting, I must fill in all the ugly holes (all of you) and make it beautiful again. It's not that I've been dishonest, I just loathe the reality of the original 2011 Rate's results.

So, as my final turn as a rate host, I will rewrite that reality... with your help.

Are you ready? Let's begin.

Welcome to BPG Classique 2011.

Tease.gif

Bam.

Whatever way you cut it, this is going to be a show. 2011 is potentially one of the most interesting, chaotic, hectic, and successful times for the big female artists of pop music... ever. I came to the whole scene of pop music stanning around halfway through 2009 and by 2011 we were in the absolute thick of it, weren't we? We thought even back then that sales were dying, but the reality was that all these girls were still shifting albums in their millions, selling out stadiums, and racking up hit after hit after hit after hit. One of the main conversations we always had back then felt like such a non-starter because the answer felt unknowable, and therefore a perfect stick for haters to wield: will we still be talking about any of these girls in ten years time?

Yes, it turns out. Yes we fucking will.

Let's get into it!

0d32be7456a45ccd53635ad438504fbe-1000x1000x1.jpg

Femme Fatale, Britney's seventh studio album, was her first after her 2009 Greatest Hits and saw her go into the studio with two of... actually no the two biggest pop producers of the time to head up the record. Taking inspiration from the emerging genre of dubstep, the album - for better or worse - acts as a marvellous time capsule for the era it was made in. Is the forum still living for these 2011 sounds in 2022? And... do revelations not only in the last year but in the last several, put everything in a different light? We'll have to find out.

1. Till The World Ends
2. Hold It Against Me
3. Inside Out
4. I Wanna Go
5. How I Roll
6. (Drop Dead) Beautiful (feat. Sabi)
7. Seal It With A Kiss
8. Big Fat Bass (feat. will.i.am)
9. Trouble For Me
10. Trip To Your Heart
11. Gasoline
12. Criminal
13. Up N Down
14. He About To Lose Me
15. Selfish
16. Don't Keep Me Waiting
17. Scary

827eeaa64f563bc7f0ee797b734c248e-1000x1000x1.png

Born This Way was a super mega blockbuster era that came after... basically another super mega blockbuster era, and despite the crushing pressure surrounding her, Lady Gaga threw her soul into what most people consider to be her best album. But with a larger than life personality like Gaga's, saturation had been reached, and everyone just seemed tired of her by the end of the year after she had completed a promo cycle unlike anything we lowly maggots had ever seen. Have the girls recovered from their fatigue?

1. Marry The Night
2. Born This Way
3. Government Hooker
4. Judas
5. Americano
6. Hair
7. Scheiße
8. Bloody Mary
9. Black Jesus + Amen Fashion
10. Bad Kids
11. Fashion Of His Love
12. Highway Unicorn
13. Heavy Metal Lover
14. Electric Chapel
15. The Queen
16. Yoü & I
17. The Edge of Glory

71-OHd4veu-YL-SL1500.jpg

After 2008's I Am... Sasha Fierce saw her snatch massive hits and go on a globetrotting tour that went on for basically two full years, 4 definitely marked a gear change in Beyoncé's approach to her career that would signpost things to come. The singles maybe weren't as big, but the album was enduring, and it enabled Beyoncé to - amongst other things - become the first woman in twenty years to headline Glastonbury in a performance that felt genuinely iconoclastic and career defining. And she was pregnant the whole promo cycle?! Will the forum be as kind to the album as time has?

1. 1+1
2. I Care
3. I Miss You
4. Best Thing I Never Had
5. Party
6. Rather Die Young
7. Start Over
8. Love On Top
9. Countdown
10. End of Time
11. I Was Here
12. Run The World (Girls)
13. Lay Up Under Me
14. Schoolin' Life
15. Dance For You
16. Dreaming

1e017a217bfd1ce7b2aaf8c0a0dce722-1000x1000x1.jpg

Rihanna! Rihanna in a BPG Rate! Hey sis, long time no see! Talk That Talk was Rihanna's third album - but sixth in total - in as many years (and would be followed by a fourth the following year) and seemed to come together very, very quickly as she wound down the Loud Tour that year. When I said hit after hit etc above... most of those hits came from Rihanna in a ridiculously concentrated space of about five years, and this album album birthed not only more big hits, but arguably Rihanna's biggest hit ever. However, was the album conveyor belt starting to show signs to requiring repair? I'll let you guys decide.

1. You Da One
2. Where Have You Been
3. We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris)
4. Talk That Talk (feat. Jay-Z)
5. Cockiness
6. Birthday Cake
7. We All Want Love
8. Drunk On Love
9. Roc Me Out
10. Watch n Learn
11. Farewell
12. Red Lipstick
13. Do Ya Thang
14. Fool In Love

RULES

So let's get into the rules!

...right after this.

EXTRAS

As is a more recent tradition of BPG Rates, there is an extras section full of the biggest female hits of the year that aren't on any of the above albums and orphan singles from honorary BPGs. As this is more of a retrospective rate, we also have the advantage of knowing that some songs released in 2011 would actually go on to be defining not just in the year after, but for the next decade to come. It also contains massive songs that eclipsed their respective artists, who never reached those heights again. So let's discuss and rate them!

Adele - Rolling In The Deep
Adele - Someone Like You
Adele - Set Fire To The Rain
Alexandra Stan - Mr Saxobeat
Avril Lavigne - What The Hell
Azealia Banks - 212
Christina Perri - Jar Of Hearts
Jennifer Lopez - On The Floor
Jessie J - Price Tag
Kelly Clarkson - Stronger
Lana Del Rey - Video Games
Nicole Scherzinger - Don't Hold Your Breath
Rebecca Black - Friday
Taylor Swift - Safe & Sound (feat. The Civil Wars)

PM-FRIENDLY LIST BEHIND SPOILER

1. Till The World Ends
2. Hold It Against Me
3. Inside Out
4. I Wanna Go
5. How I Roll
6. (Drop Dead) Beautiful (feat. Sabi)
7. Seal It With A Kiss
8. Big Fat Bass (feat. will.i.am)
9. Trouble For Me
10. Trip To Your Heart
11. Gasoline
12. Criminal
13. Up N Down
14. He About To Lose Me
15. Selfish
16. Don't Keep Me Waiting
17. Scary

1. Marry The Night
2. Born This Way
3. Government Hooker
4. Judas
5. Americano
6. Hair
7. Scheiße
8. Bloody Mary
9. Black Jesus + Amen Fashion
10. Bad Kids
11. Fashion Of His Love
12. Highway Unicorn
13. Heavy Metal Lover
14. Electric Chapel
15. The Queen
16. Yoü & I
17. The Edge of Glory

1. 1+1
2. I Care
3. I Miss You
4. Best Thing I Never Had
5. Party
6. Rather Die Young
7. Start Over
8. Love On Top
9. Countdown
10. End of Time
11. I Was Here
12. Run The World (Girls)
13. Lay Up Under Me
14. Schoolin' Life
15. Dance For You
16. Dreaming

1. You Da One
2. Where Have You Been
3. We Found Love
4. Talk That Talk
5. Cockiness
6. Birthday Cake
7. We All Want Love
8. Drunk On Love
9. Roc Me Out
10. Watch n Learn
11. Farewell
12. Red Lipstick
13. Do Ya Thang
14. Fool In Love

Adele - Someone Like You
Azealia Banks - 212
Jessie J - Price Tag
Rebecca Black - Friday
Taylor Swift - Safe & Sound (feat. The Civil Wars)

THE RULES

1. @Laura Vanderbooben joins me once again because doing this without her as a terrifying, soul destroying prospect! You can send your ballots to either of us and it doesn't matter which.

2. I'm going to try a new approach this year and send a message back to everyone who sends their ballot to me to let them know I've received it. I might leave PMs sitting for a day or two until I have time to input them, but if you haven't received this Two Blue Ticks message within a week of sending your ballot, post in the thread... and I'll take you off Ignore nn.

3. I know some of the girls have been playing with the numbers, but I'm an old gnarled hag who likes you to give songs a score between 0-10, with only half scores allowed, and one song can be given the hallowed 11/10 mark. If you give anything that doesn't end in a .0 or .5, it'll get rounded up. I'm not chasing people to clarify a quarter fucking mark.

4. I would prefer if this thread was a (Bey)hive of chatter and discussion where people are actually engaging with the content, so as always with my rates post-2016, please provide commentary for your 11/10 ONLY. Any other commentary will be discarded. Save it for the thread!

5. Popjustice has become a wonderfully diverse, inclusive community over the last decade... but I also know a good chunk of you are grown ass men in your thirties who should really be over being intensely in your feelings over millionaires who don't even know you exist. So don't fucking troll because of stan allegiances.

VOTING WILL CLOSE @ MIDNIGHT FEBRUARY 28TH

For one last time... good luck, and don't fuck it up.

Last edited:

LEADERBOARD

1. Lady Gaga - Marry The Night
2. Lady Gaga - The Edge Of Glory
3. Azealia Banks - 212 (feat. Lazy Jay)
4. Beyoncé - Countdown
5. Beyoncé - End Of Time
6. Lady Gaga - Scheiße
6. Lady Gaga - Heavy Metal Lover
8. Beyoncé - Love On Top
9. Rihanna - We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris)
10. Lana Del Rey - Video Games
11. Beyoncé - Schoolin' Life
12. Adele - Rolling In The Deep
13. Lady Gaga - Bloody Mary
14. Lady Gaga - Judas
15. Lady Gaga - Government Hooker
16. Beyoncé - I Miss You
17. Rihanna - Where Have You Been
18. Britney Spears - Hold It Against Me
19. Lady Gaga - Born This Way
20. Beyoncé - I Care
21. Nicole Scherzinger - Don't Hold Your Breath
22. Adele - Set Fire To The Rain
23. Britney Spears - Till The World Ends
24. Jennifer Lopez - On The Floor (feat. Pitbull)
25. Beyoncé - Dance For You
26. Beyoncé - Party
27. Lady Gaga - Highway Unicorn
28. Beyoncé - Run The World (Girls)
29. Britney Spears - Trip To Your Heart
30. Lady Gaga - Hair
30. Britney Spears - How I Roll
32. Lady Gaga - Americano
33. Lady Gaga - Yoü & I
34. Beyoncé - 1+1
35. Britney Spears - I Wanna Go
36. Kelly Clarkson - Stronger
37. Lady Gaga - Highway Unicorn
38. Lady Gaga - Fashion Of His Love
39. Beyoncé - Lay Up Under Me
40. Adele - Someone Like You
41. Avril Lavigne - What The Hell
41. Lady Gaga - Black Jesus Amen Fashion
43. Britney Spears - Inside Out
44. Beyoncé - Start Over
45. Taylor Swift - Safe & Sound (feat. The Civil Wars)
46. Beyoncé - Best Thing I Never Had
47. Rihanna - Watch n' Learn
48. Beyoncé - I Was Here
49. Rihanna - Talk That Talk (feat. Jay-Z)
50. Alexandra Stan - Mr Saxobeat
51. Britney Spears - Up N' Down
52. Lady Gaga - Bad Kids
53. Rihanna - Do Ya Thang
54. Britney Spears - Criminal
55. Britney Spears - Seal It With A Kiss
56. Beyoncé - Rather Die Young
57. Rihanna - Drunk On Love
58. Rihanna - Roc Me Out
59. Britney Spears - Gasoline
60. Rihanna - You Da One
61. Britney Spears - He About To Lose Me
62. Rihanna - Cockiness (Love It)
63. Britney Spears - Don't Keep Me Waiting
64. Britney Spears - Trouble For Me
65. Lady Gaga - The Queen
66. Britney Spears - Scary
67. Beyoncé - Dreaming
68. Britney Spears - Selfish
69. Rihanna - Red Lipstick
70. Britney Spears - (Drop Dead) Beautiful (feat. Sabi)
71. Rihanna - Fool In Love
72. Rihanna - Birthday Cake
73. Rihanna - Farewell
74. Rihanna - We All Want Love
75. Rebecca Black - Friday
76. Christina Perri - Jar Of Hearts
77. Britney Spears - Big Fat Bass (feat. will.i.am)
78. Jessie J - Price Tag (feat. B.o.B.)

Last edited:
Adele - Someone Like You
Azealia Banks - 212
Jessie J - Price Tag
Rebecca Black - Friday
Taylor Swift - Safe & Soun

omg

Oh this is gonna be fun! I haven't actually listened to 4 or Talk That Talk in full yet, so it'll be interesting to see how I feel about those compared to Born This Way and Femme Fatale.
Assuming we only send commentary for our 11s and/or 0s?
Also, the extras section is stacked with classics, along with a few songs I don't know, but I'm worried What The Hell and Safe & Sound will be done terribly wrong.