BPG CLASSIQUE 2011 - The End | Page 70 | The Popjustice Forum

BPG CLASSIQUE 2011 - The End

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RJF, Jan 24, 2022.

1. 65

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.18

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 (@Andy French) (she's so crazzzzzzzy! Love her!!!)
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 (@boombazookajoe)
    MY SCORE: 6/10
    RJF'S SCORE: 7/10

Last full album standing Born This Way takes its first hit, so now we're really off to the races. You'd expect a Lady Gaga song called "The Queen" to have some more...oomph than this does. Maybe Fernando Garibay was paying per fuzzy synth and once Edge of Glory was done, he didn't have much budget left for this. But it also just sounds sort of like a demo, to my ears - rough in a "studio scratch" way instead of purposeful, plus when she just starts stretching out the word "Queen" like it's a placeholder lyric for when she thinks up something better.

It's easy to forget, in a post-Katharine McPhee world, that there was once another pop singer who was obsessed with homosexuals. It is also easy to forget that Lady Gaga was once never not on the road. This song reminded me of both of those things. On one of the seven thousand tour dates she did between 2009 and 2013, Gaga explained that this song was inspired by - I hope you're sitting down - gays, because she would be called "queen!" but she really associates the word "queen" with gay boys, and how she didn't want to be a queen anyway, or whatever. Basically the same plot as the movie Helen Mirren won her Oscar for.

Brave or not, the song is five goddamn minutes long and doesn't really justify that length, and so out it goes first. But at least it didn't get any zeroes! Here are some videos of Gaga performing it, during which I assume half the venue went to the toilets or bought another drink.

Sam, tylerc, Sail On and 68 others like this.
  2. Staaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy night cum inside me like never b4

[​IMG]

dont forget me when i come crying to................heavens door​

[​IMG]

myblood, Sam, tylerc and 29 others like this.
  3. First half of "The Queen"

[​IMG]

Second half of "The Queen"

[​IMG]

myblood, Sam, sesita and 7 others like this.
  4. If a deluxe track had to go first it should have been „Black Jesus + Amen Fashion“.

I like it a lot because it sounds so unfinished and rough. It would sound so weird on any other album but it fits so much on Born This Way.

5. WhaaaAAAtTttT the Hell is a moment.

Also, didn't it inspire this bop:

which inspired this bop:

?

6. rdp

rdp

Remember when Vox Lux referenced the scene from The Monster Ball HBO special that most likely originated this song word by word

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

myblood, Sam, Sail On and 15 others like this.
  7. What The Hell stays thriving!

[​IMG]

8. If someone was holding me at gunpoint and said “sing The Queen by Lady Gaga or I shoot”.

myblood, Sam, dodoriazarbon and 38 others like this.
  9. Should have gone fucking ages ago, but cigs will cig.

Verandi likes this.
  10. ‘The Queen’ is a song for Little Monsters who write letters and got mommy hugs on stage

theelusivechanteuse likes this.
  11. Dddd I've always loved The Queen and I make no apologies. It's self indulgent, overproduced and overwrought but that adds to its charm for me.

12. I gave 'The Queen' 7 in the Gaga Rate but 8.5 here, because I grade by comparing all the songs to each other, although I do like it more than I used to. It is my least favourite 'Born...' track, so don't mind it leaving now.

I wonder how long the standard edition tracks will last.

Maki likes this.
  13. I was being cutthroat. I wasn't just going to find a way to throw songs like The Queen that I don't even listen to a 6 just because it's Gaga and Born This Way. I can never even remember how it goes until I play it. 2.5 it is.

14. The Queen is a half-baked Edge of Glory, glad to see it flop yet again.

Andrew and R27 like this.
  15. The Queen is the embodiment of Gaga's worst overly-earnest, theatre kid sensibilities. That and the second half sounding like the first half of the song was shot, and now it's slumping away just to slowly die.

Dijah., AllGagaLike, DinahLee and 7 others like this.
  16. Oh, thank God.

17. "The Queen" is superfluous and under-baked, obviously, but I do think 2010-1 Gaga on autopilot is still stronger than a lot of what's left. In retrospect I under-scored it just because of how much weaker it is than most of its parent album.

Maki and MilesAngel like this.
  18. RJF

RJF

No

myblood, Sam, sesita and 30 others like this.
  19. Which songs specifically is The Queen better than? Quickly.
    [​IMG]

sesita, BTG, Modeblock and 1 other person like this.
  20. Even the worst song on the album Judas The Queen has some glorious moments (“cum inside me” that bit), the talent of it all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.