Brandy - B7 (7th Album) | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

Brandy - B7 (7th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Butterfly, Jun 25, 2019.

1. In the context of “battling” Monica, I don’t think any Human tracks would’ve been a good move.

topopMAC1, nooniebao and Euphoria like this.
  2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Sis, she played Put It Down. Literally anything from Human would have been better than that.

Mr.Arroz, TRAVVV and Daniel_O like this.
  3. Precisely my point - I don't think the poppier tracks from Human would've been appreciated against Monica's edgier catalogue. But for the record, I love Human. And Put It Down.

topopMAC1 likes this.
  4. I think her resentment for the Human era comes from being forced by the label to create a poppier, AC sound and Darkchild not giving her his best effort.

But Camouflage is one of my top Brandy tracks ever. Her voice, whew.

londonrain likes this.
  5. Monica's discography (what I've heard which is not all, but most) is not even in the same ball park as Brandy's honestly.

Jersey, Verandi, nooniebao and 5 others like this.
  6. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Human is really just so...warm and honest as a record. It pains me that she doesn't reflect too highly on it.

7. This was everything. Love them both and The Boy is Mine is one of my favorite songs of all time. Having said that it always bugs me at 2:46 that the vocal editing on Monica seems so low

8. How can anyone not like Human when it has Camouflage, Something’s Missing, Right Here, Warm It Up, 1st and Love, Gotta Find My Love, Piano Man, and Long Distance.

LPT, Daniel L, Butterfly and 6 others like this.
  9. I appreciate the perspective she comes from on Human, but it’s certainly the most bland Brandy music to date (outside of a couple detour tracks). And I can’t really equate Brandy with bland, even on a messy, uneven album like B7.

10. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

As someone who’s listened to the entirety of both ladies’ discographies... hard disagree. But also I go to them for very different things, partly because they come from very different backgrounds and that influences their music, and partly because Brandy is all about the vocal layering and harmonies (she mentioned on the Verzuz that she’d be happy just doing background vocals on a song) whereas Monica is all about the vocal power as well as “grittier”, more personal storytelling.

I can’t imagine Brandy recording a song like Street Symphony, Everytime Tha Beat Drop, I Wrote This Song or U Should’ve Known Better, and I can’t imagine Monica recording something like What About Us, Afrodisiac or Right Here (Departed).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  11. Thanks!

12. I enjoyed parts of what I've seen from this. I love both of their music equally. So glad that these ladies are getting the resurgence and relevance!

Now, can they do one for All Saints & Sugababes, por favor.

TRAVVV and bess marvin like this.
  13. I own Monica's album up until After the Storm and enjoy all of them (well, I love Boy Is Mine, After the Storm and All Eyez On Me. The debut is patchy). It was afterwards that I found it hard to carry on. I only really listen to albums I own, so I haven't revisited Makings of Me, Still Standing and New Life in years. I ought to snag copies in my next bulk spree. I guess I feel like albums-wise, no Monica album can touch Never Say Never, Full Moon, Afrodisiac or Human. Though song-wise, Monica has a bunch of songs I seriously adore.

Angel of Mine may very well be my favorite song out of either catalog simply due to my childhood memories attached to it.

TRAVVV, nooniebao and Daniel_O like this.
  14. Loved this interview and also love that Verzuz is giving all these living legends their flowers and encourages them to create new art.

I second a vote for Black Brit artists to be featured, because Verzuz should highlight Black artists around the globe.

sesita, lushLuck and nooniebao like this.
  15. I never really realised when I was young how much of an masterpiece Full Moon the song was but my god it really is !

-M-, sesita, lushLuck and 1 other person like this.
  16. The original, the Cutfather & Joe remix and the Fat Joe remix are terrific!

sesita and lushLuck like this.
  17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Beverley Knight vs. Gabrielle, please!

kermit_the_frog likes this.
  18. I'm so disappointed to say that I really can't stand this album :`(

I was hoping it would grow on me with time but it's only gotten worse lol. My least favorite of her albums. It just feels low quality. That and I don't understand how people are going up for the production, which is one of the worst aspects to me.

Typically I can get over all that other stuff because her voice saves the day, but even that isn't giving me the feels I'm accustomed to when listening to Brandy music. Her voice sounds drawling and fuzzy and just unappealing. Super upset b/c I waited 8 years for this, but even as a STAN I have to be honest that this is not a quality record.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.