Britney Spears - Circus | Page 281 | The Popjustice Forum

Britney Spears - Circus

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by ChrisLisi1982, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bit late to the party, but Mannequin is AMAZING! I can't wait for the full version.

The backcover is great. I really love the circus theme.

2. I understand what you're saying, and I would be inclined to agree, apart from the fact I'm still convinced it's a child not a dwarf. I guess I'll probably be proven wrong when it becomes available in HQ though, haha.

3. Well put, that's what I was getting at. I find the whole picture quite surreal and strange, and with all the connotations of the circus being a freakshow you mentioned. Very at odds with the front cover. It's interesting how two people can view the same picture totally differently though.

I also noticed she lost the Executive Producer title. But in reality I'm sure there was a lot more going on behind the scenes of Blackout then we really knew about considering the state she was in at the time.

4. paul lekakis

paul lekakis Guest

Deluxe DVD Edition seems to get a different colour scheme, the way "Keep Gettin' Better" had a yellow border:

[​IMG]

5. I'll take one deluxe edition please and thank you.

I'm so happy the UK is getting Amnesia too (Maybe. Hopefully. All signs point to yes.)!

6. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

Hopefully the Deluxe edition get's a different front cover too!

7. someboy0716

someboy0716 Guest

Crazy Britney alert! She's hanging out with clowns!

Interesting she's not listed as an executive producer, I'm sure people are going to have a great time with that, "OH, LOOK, Larry has hypnotized her again!!!!"

8. The border is slightly different - the red and blue is switched.

9. I reckon that pic you've got as your avatar will just be on the back of the booklet; convenient for a quick switch-a-roo. I did the same with Blackout!

10. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

Do did I, I'd love to know what clown(no pun intended) makes the album decisions!
    The booklets are always 20 times better!

11. So right. I hate to bring up "Keeps Gettin' Better" on sacred ground, but really, with that whole collection of really awesome promo/booklet shots, why would they choose that cover? Christina's (nor Britney's) are really that bad, but their other photos are (or I'm expecting them to be) better than said covers.

12. I'm completely underwhelmed at the moment by those 30 second clips. Maybe my mind will change once I hear the tracks in their entirety and in hq. A handful of "good" songs and a bunch of mediocre ones with two really awful ones.

Good songs, although not amazing, definitely no gimme more's, piece of me's, or break the ice's on this album that's for sure.

Good tracks:

Kill the lights - Danja saves the album, although if you compare it to his tracks on Blackout, it is not as great.
    Mannequin - the underdogs, possible single material
    Unusual You - bloodshy and avant along with danja save the album(the best track on this album, imo)
    womanizer - (and here i thought it was a heater single and there would be much better songs on the album)

Mediocre:

Circus - Benny Blanco/Dr.Luke tried to work some of their Katy Perry I kissed a girl magic on the two songs they did together and failed. Circus lacks a hook, the chorus drowns her out.
    Lace and Leather - see above, except even more boring.
    If You Seek Amy - Max Martin's best work? I think not.
    Shattered Glass - cheesy but good album filler just not amazing.
    blur - like perfect lover only with a prince vibe, a bit boring. however i might move this into the good category once i hear the whole thing, it is produced by danja.

Simply Awful:

My baby - this is the best Guy could come up with? After producing What it feels like for a girl and everytime? to this?
    Mmm Papi - no words. it's not even good in a its so bad it's good kind of way.

Phonography - sounds like an X cast off. In fact this album reminds me a lot of X. A handful of good songs and the rest a mess. Just splattered together. I was kind of expecting something better for her supposed comeback album.

Doesn't it feel like there are no catchy single choices unlike with blackout which was an album filled with single possibilities. I can't see any of these songs even Kill the Lights going to number one. What propelled Womanizer was that it was the first song and people thought there'd be better songs on the album.

I think they'll go like this:

2.circus
    3. out from under
    4. if you seek amy
    5. mannequin/kill the lights

although i'd like:

2. kill the lights
    3. unusual you
    4. mannequin

13. I like it but it sounds like a regression from Blackout back to an older ITZ/maybe even Britney sound...

I'm not a big fan of the sound of the Dr. Luke songs, apart from the title track. The slow bit of Shattered Glass sounds good though. If U Seek Amy is good but I feel like Britney should be above this type of song by now. Lace and Leather is actually shit. I think the album would be better with less Dr. Luke/Max Martin. Guy Sigsworth's songs aren't that great, and I know he can do better... The Danja, Bloodshy & Avant, and Nicole Morier tracks sound the best. Mannequin's amazing too.

Unusual You is brilliant. I like songs that are sort of ballady but the actual music isn't.

14. Observations:

- She'd better say "Mmm, papi" during "Mmm Papi" or else it should have been titled "Mmm Papa"
    - "My Baby" sounds like "Shout to the Lord"
    - "Blur" could be really beautiful
    - The synth during "Circus" must be present somewhere in the song
    - "Out from Under" sounds like "Mended by You"
    - "Phonography" sounds like "All Nite (Don't Stop)". So that's good.
    - "Radar" should not be on this album
    - Perhaps the "if you're feeling froggy, leap" line refers to the photographers squatting down and hopping back as she walks.

15. As much as I really don't like Brit Brit (do they still call her that?), I caught myself humming "F U C K Me/If You Seek Amy". It's a clever chorus. I'm looking forward to the Bloodshy & Avant tracks even though there is only ONE new one on the album, but there are two more to get on the Deluxe. B & A work well with her, but I think that has to do with her limited range. They work well with people that have limited range, not so well with Kylie, Jordan Sparks, Sugababes.

As some one had mentioned previously her range ,as limited as it is, has decreased for her a bit. And that is not a good thing at all for her. Soon it will be robots and computers singing all of the song completely for her.

Much luck Brit, like she need it.

16. No, she's slowly disposing the singing robots and computers, not much of its usage in the new tracks and *tries* herself, and she still has a good singing voice.

17. I'm trying not to comment because I always make the mistake of calling clips of her albums shit, but loving the final product.

What I will say is that I don't think it's as good as "Blackout" by far, but like someone already said, that's a hard one to top.

Here are my favourites based on the clips:

Out From Under: I'm actually shocked how much I keep playing this.
    Kill The Lights: Although as someone said, it's not as good as the Danja tracks from Blackout.
    Shattered Glass: I really like the sound of this one.
    Unusual You: !!!. Imagine what the bridge is like!
    Mannequin: Although it's not as good as I expected from the rehearsal clip, I still really like it.
    Lace and Leather: This is SO different for her and I think that's why I like it so much.
    Phonography: Why the fuck is this only a bonus track?!?!?!

The rest... I don't know if I should comment on yet... oh well, I will anyway...

Circus: Annoying, boring etc.
    If U Seek Amy: I think the full version is going to get on my nerves.
    Blur: It sounds like "Outta This World" which I love now so maybe this will grow on me.
    Mmm papi: It confuses me, is it meant to be something about Adnan or not?
    Rock Me In: 'Chemistry' B side, anyone?

And...

My Baby: This could be the first Britney song that only gets one listen and nothing more; an absolute dirge.

So there we go... there goes my 'not commenting' rule, ugh.

18. There are reasons why it's there. But yeah, it won't be making my iPod tracklisting.

19. I think Circus(the single) can be up there along with Oops I Did It Again, Left Outside Alone and Umbrella, thats for sure!

20. I don't understand the fuss over 'Circus'. It's not BAD but I don't think it's a big second single.

Maybe I'll eat my words when the full version leaks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.