Britney Spears - Femme Fatale Tour

he/him
I went last night and really enjoyed it! It was by no means perfect and obviously it wasn't the same Britney as in her heyday, but it was never going to be. It was the first Britney show I've ever been to so obviously there's going to be an aspect of "OH MY GOD THAT'S BRITNEY SPEARS" to take away from the lackluster dancing, but I've seen far worse productions (a backhanded compliment if ever there was one I know.)

The fact she was there, miming like a pro, hitting the right moves and standing in the right places was enough for me at this stage in her career. And my boyfriend, who I dragged along and only likes a couple of songs, was ripping the piss out of her beforehand for not even singing live, but he left with positive comments and her songs going round in his head so that's all I could ask for really.

vasilios said:
Amazing setlist and an absolute spectacle. And Britney.

Well that's one opinion. I really enjoyed the show but don't know if I loved it. The setlist was pants - almost every song from Blackout except the two best ones? And the lack of Circus tracks was fine but I wanted Mannequin (although when she eventually performed it I wish she hadn't). In terms of spectacle it was great, but DWAD was better.

In the long run, my favorite Britney tour was The Onyx Hotel. She had better songs at that point than during DWAD, her swagger was peaking, and the dancing was phenomenal. DWAD and Circus are her best executed shows in my opinion, but as far as Britney being at her best, I vote Onyx. I think that DWAD is the definitive Britney tour though, largely due to it being the only one released on DVD. Interesting it took her ten years to release another concert DVD.

V

vasilios

DWAD and too hmmmm TRL, Disney, Nsync?
Like, more pop than it should be.
If I make sense.

True tea, E-Platypus. I was watching back some Onyx Hotel tour clips last night on Youtube, and it's a bit gutting that I'll never get to see that kind of Britney in the flesh. That, and the fact that there's more chance of her doing Email My Heart than there is some of the awesome In The Zone album tracks like Breathe On Me and Touch Of My Hand these days.

I'm so glad she retired Breathe/Touch Of My Hand for this tour. They've had their time. I saw Onyx Hotel and it was great etc but at the time I wasn't like 'omgzz look at her dancing!' because back then it was the norm for her. It's a shame its taken hindsight to really appreciate what she was capable of, and that goes for the fans and general public.

I find DWAD rather over blown. Great dancing though and great use of floating platforms and water.

The worst thing about Onyx is that big fat bastard bloke.

Another question from me....is the tour booklet any good? The Circus one was brilliant!

It's not great. I like the fact there are photos from the tour in it which is unusual (presumably from the final dress rehearsals) and there's a CGI of the stage but apart from that it's just the album cover photos, a bit about Jamie King and the dancers.

I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE LAST NIGHT!

Britney was utterly brilliant, I have waited 8 years to see her live and it was a truly brilliant and emotional experience. Plus Joe Jonas was absolutely brilliant live, although I was expecting that as he was brilliant when I saw him and the brothers 2 years ago. Also the new girl group Destinee & Paris signed to GaGa's label and who have worked with Red One were also superb, and were so nice when me and my sister met them!

I would see Britney 10x over, she is Femme Fatale.

Revisionist history is fun, isn't it.

Circus was a pretty fucking spectacular tour. Breathe On Me was amazing and she was genuinely sexy... she really got into character in Freakshow/Peepshow, it was the closest realisation we got to a proper Blackout era.

Circus tour was really boring, it could have been anyone miming/dancing... The Femme Fatale tour is 100% Britney and I'm sure she really gave it her all. It's up to you whether her all is enough to produce a great show. For me, it totally was.

LewJB said:
Revisionist history is fun, isn't it.

Circus was a pretty fucking spectacular tour. Breathe On Me was amazing and she was genuinely sexy... she really got into character in Freakshow/Peepshow, it was the closest realisation we got to a proper Blackout era.

It's just a shame she never danced during it, aside from those 15 seconds in Get Naked. And Breathe On Me was a dull performance, even she looked bored during it.
Lace and Leather lapdance >> Breathe lapdance.

Though 15 seconds in Get Naked were baffling, weren't they?

See, I think Britney's genuine sexiness has completely left the building. She was genuinely sexy during Circus and she still had some sort of performance attitude.

I do wish the Britney of today was a continuation of the Get Naked performance. Best thing she's done since 2004.

LewJB said:
Though 15 seconds in Get Naked were baffling, weren't they?

See, I think Britney's genuine sexiness has completely left the building. She was genuinely sexy during Circus and she still had some sort of performance attitude.

I do wish the Britney of today was a continuation of the Get Naked performance. Best thing she's done since 2004.

Have you been to see the current tour LewJB? Did you enjoy it?

I have to say, looking at some of the London videos, her energy level seems shockingly low. Like, drastically different than some of the US dates.

And about her "sexiness" - it's an odd thing. To be honest, she isn't that sex kitten she's pushed as when she's in a bra and shorts, hopping around. It's almost asexual. However, I always thought she was at her sexiest when she had that rough edge to her, around In the Zone, when she was a mess, but a sexy mess; cute but with a dirty wink. She still has some of that today, too. Like in Criminal: that's the sexiest I think she's been since 2004 or 05.

There's no wink in her cute anymore, is what I'm saying.

Oh for me, the Criminal video is the only time, and even then it's vague, that she's been genuinely sexy in this era.

DarkSacoura said:
I have to say, looking at some of the London videos, her energy level seems shockingly low. Like, drastically different than some of the US dates.

Yep, the European leg has been pretty lacklustre apart from a couple shows (Paris, Stockholm). I wish I wouldn't have to worry about whether she'll be half-assing it at my show.

The Slave clip looks decent but it's like she's performing in an empty arena.

A few days late to the party but here is my take on everything...

Went to the Friday show at the 02 and I have to say I really enjoyed it but that was only because I went with zero expectations. I've been an obsessed Britney fan for over a decade but the whole Femme Fatale era has just been dire in my opinion and never have I been so lacking in excitement for a Britney concert. Even on Friday I felt like it was a chore going (compare that to the weeks before Circus, Onyx and Oops I was counting down the days and couldn't sleep the nights before). I hadn't watched any youtube videos before hand so can't compare legs. So yes I did enjoy it as I had no expectations but if I'd have gone with expectations I might have come away crying.

You could tell it was lower budget compared to her other tours and yes I agree there was quite a bit of recycling from the Circus Tour ala the photo frames and cages but the one thing that got my back up was the set list. I've ranted on this forum about Boys being included before, but why oh why does she insist on still performing a song that was shit in 2002 and is still shit 9 years later. Also why on earth did she perform S&M, when she has so many hits she could have included? It really does pain me that she never performs Oops! I did it again or even Crazy but she can resort to singing a Rihanna song (don't care if she guest appeared on a remix, it's a Rihanna song at the end of the day and if I want to hear a Rihanna song I'll go to the Loud tour thank you very much). Thank god she didn't perform Burning Up on this leg or I would have been more pissed off, an artist this deep into a career should not need to resort to covers. My highlights were definitely Hold It Against Me and Till The World Ends, I was really excited for Gimme More but I didn't like the remix too much. I was disappointed with Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know too, it just didn't fit I thought even though I was ecstatic she even bothered to acknowledge a song from Oops!

Someone mentioned previously they saw Jason before the show and I agree with that person, I was surprised too no one recognized him. I had a brilliant view of Jedward from the lower tier and they were waving at Britney the whole show but she never acknowledged them once. I'm glad their dream came true though during I Wanna Go. I was really surprised at the reaction to that song, as the place was electric during it. I have to say though that for a Britney concert that was the strangest crowd ever. There was no one dressed up really which is usually a given for a Britney concert, I also thought the crowd seemed a lot older than the usual Britney demographic. I noticed too that there were a lot of foreign fans there. In terms of crowd liveliness I've seen better and I've seen worse.

I really do wonder what has happened to Britney when it comes to the dancing. I mean is it a confidence thing? has she just lost it as she has got older? You watch performances from the Onyx and she is amazing yet now it's like watching a different person. I would just love to know how she lost her mojo for dancing. It really does baffle me. It just so sad, is it her way of even saying I don't want to be doing this anymore? It really is fascinating. I can't say if it was better or worse than the circus because at the end of the day the reason many people were blown away by Circus was the production. With Femme Fatale you get to see what Circus would have been like without a big production behind it. I'd say she put equal amount of effort into femme fatale as she did with circus. I don't think she was waaay more interactive this time round than 2 and a half years ago.

I know I've mentioned a lot of negatives but I really did enjoy it but I think writing this review has brought out the old obsessive Britney fan in me. We all know how amazing she was and can be but something just isn't clicking anymore. Someone said a few pages back that she could have been Madonna but she has turned into more of Janet and it couldn't be more true. Maybe she doesn't want to be Madonna but whatever is going on behind the scenes I think Reindeer Entertainment need to give it a rest for a bit after the tour because it isn't doing Britney and the brand any favours whatsoever. If anything I think this era has alienated quite a few people including myself to an extent. It's like she is being turned into a joke. Just let her go away live her life and if she wants to tour then brilliant but I think everyone knows she'd rather be back in California eating cheese grits all day and playing with her kids. I know these tour dates haven't sold amazingly compared to previous tours but if this continues just think how much worse subsequent tours might sell. Also I think it's good the tickets didn't fly off the shelf (or box office even) as it might teach Larry etc where they are going wrong. Britney is and always will be amazing but at the minute this previously obsessed fan is turning into a real casual one (and if you would have told me two years ago I would have been saying this I would have been speechless!)

So all in all good night as there were no expectations but things need to change if she is to continue to have a loyal fan base.