Britney Spears - Glory | Page 1599 | The Popjustice Forum

Britney Spears - Glory

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Take You Home, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Island

Island Staff Member

MYCAL likes this.
  2. Definitely coming at midnight at this point. Really strange, since it is in the database, but maybe they really can set it up to come worldwide now.

3. Sorry to go off topic but this is literally me when I see my straight friends out and I've had one too many.

https://instagram.com/p/BHQ-NfAhGtQ/

livefrommelbs and JacobTheMiro like this.
  4. I don't even understand why it's being discussed is my point. I think sexual orientation plays a large part in feeling freedom to admit one likes pop music, but if race impacts the likelihood of admission, I would imagine that degree of effect is infinitesimal compared to whether one likes their own gender vs. the other or both.

5. Oh joy. More stereotypes about music and sexuality.

ALEX, Shinko, Mr.Arroz and 2 others like this.
  6. Channel the spirit of Hannah xx

Shinko and Island like this.
  7. "Clumsy" is a cabaret remix of a One Republic hit that drops everything but the background vocals in its chorus in favor of a breakdown from a random song that the kids in Ibiza would have loved in 2003...repeated thrice. I don't hate it.

8. Stop ruining Clumsy for me, guys. *sniffles* I'm loving the "Sci-Fi Mardi Gras" vibe. I find it to be a really strong album track. Weird, trashy & fun.

BML, Modeblock, Shinko and 11 others like this.
  9. It ruined itself

Euphoria likes this.
  10. C'mon, it was a joke playing on the stereotype. Obviously we can all enjoy whatever we want to enjoy, I know plenty of straight guys who enjoy pop music (Well, 2, but still).

Modeblock likes this.
  11. Since everyone got so wound up. I mean music critics. Which are pretty often the same cynical 40+ y.o. rock music lover white straight males, that can't even dance or feel sexy or have a laugh. Which is why i never took reviews on britney's albums that serious.

12. I just got flashbacks to all the male reviewers of Dangerous Woman saying she "looks too young to be considered dangerous or a woman" and feel attacked.

Ironically, I took a peek at LEMONADE's scores on Metacritic and the "lowest" three (aka like a 70 and two 80s, which are still good, but still) were all written by white men, while a good chunk of the 100/100 scores were written by women or people of color in general.

Beyonce's only one of three women in the Top 20 for highest scores for 2016 and maybe the only mainstream, non-rap album in the Top 100, possibly 200. Like, obviously men can write good reviews on women's music and white people can write good reviews on black artists, no one suggests they can't (but apparently that's always how people take it I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_), but then just as obviously we're nowhere near a point where music critic culture is free of these prejudices & biases.

I'm gonna especially cringe if any reviews for Glory incorporate some weird covert ableism and we get armchair psychology about her conservatorship or her role in the album is downplayed because she's a woman who's currently in a conservatorship. Just review the bops and give a woman her dues, god I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_.

BML, Modeblock, Shinko and 9 others like this.
  13. Honestly, I'm just leaving the thread for a while. People started getting hostile and hostility is an instant "I'm out" for me. I see no point in further engaging any side of this discussion. I'm hiding in the Roisin thread. See you around!

Deleted member 22552 likes this.
  14. So, how bout that Liar snippet. Anyone here hear it? I haven't.

Sanctuary likes this.
  15. "Clumsy" may be a mess but it has more personality than anything on Britney Jean. We are getting BRITNEY again with this album, and that can only be a good thing.

JacobTheMiro likes this.
  16. This feels like a good time to remind everyone that the original Make Me video still isn't out.

Izzie and lushLuck like this.
  17. Even the Exhalers have accepted it's never coming though, sis.

mskx4 and Deleted member 22552 like this.
  18. I think the knife is pushed in as far as it can go already.

Euphoria likes this.
  19. Which mod has that quote by Britney along the lines of "The music isn't deep or meant to change the world, but that doesn't mean I didn't work really hard on it"?

I genuinely love that quote.

evilsin, ALEX, Modeblock and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.