Britney Spears | Page 5150 | The Popjustice Forum

Britney Spears

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Toxicated, Jun 24, 2006.

1. ........Ya'll need to go listen to an Aaliyah record, good lord.

fancygreen, Sexbox, LPT and 26 others like this.
  2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Late 90s till 2001 then (which kinda is what I meant anyway)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    blaze_dave and Overdose like this.
  3. I can't believe I just witnessed a comment on this forum that Timbaland was "barely around" when Toxic came out. Aaliyah, Tweet, Missy, Lil Kim I am so sorry..

I mean, The Jump Off alone..>>

4. Timbaland was absolutely an established name by 2003 what is going on in here

fancygreen, Sexbox, LPT and 13 others like this.
  5. Missy's biggest Timbaland produced hits were all before 2003 like???

LPT, GimmeWork, Wishlight and 11 others like this.
  6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Of course Timbaland was an established name. I'm just not quite convinced Toxic came about because he produced a (great) Aaliyah album 2 years before.
    He was by no means irrelevant, but was it a case of 'we need something that sounds like a Timbaland production if we want a hit in 2004'? Neh.

7. I could definitely see the comparison between Get Ur Freak On and Toxic though

1991 and YourLeadSinger like this.
  8. That's not really what people are disputing though?

@YourLeadSinger inferred that Toxic was close to Timbaland's sound when there's no tracks of his that sound like it.

We all know Timbaland had mega hits in the 90's and early 00's but he never made a song that was sonically similar to Toxic.

IfUSeekAmy likes this.
  9. Timbaland sampled Bollywood and Middle Eastern music in many of his productions across his work with other artists. Considering Britney is something of a Missy mega-fan, I don't see why this is so hard to digest.

10. I know I just said it, but Get Ur Freak On is very sonically similar.

YourLeadSinger and 1991 like this.
  11. Damn, I’m shocked at how much I like this and how it actually works as a song. Very well done!

LPT and Holly Something like this.
  12. Oh wow this is genuinely great. Love what they did to the bridge. I would personally love an album of Mood Rings.

13. But sonically those samples are nothing like Toxic's. Get Ur Freak On and his other similar works mostly sampled percussive Banghra music (the main melody of the song is played on a tabla), whereas Toxic uses string melodies from 'Tere Mere Beech Mein' which is Hindi Film Pop with some light use of banghra elements for the percussion.

You could make the argument that 'Get Ur Freak On' has similar sounds to 'Tere Mere Beech' (there is Tabla percussion in both and Missy's song heavily relies on the tumbi) but those elements aren't in Toxic which is why I don't see a direct similarity or inspiration?

Call me pedantic but just because both styles derive from Indian music, that doesn't make them sonically similar in my eyes and I don't think Bloodshy & Avant were looking to Timbaland's songs as a direct reference. Bloodshy even confirmed he was playing with just Bollywood string samples in this interview.

To be honest, I'm ready to move on from this point because the comparison itself hinges on one's own view and experiences of Indian and Punjabi music, which is incredibly diverse and contains a lot of overlap in subgenres.

The original point being made was 'Britney doing what was popular at the time', which to me doesn't really apply to Toxic since she didn't create the melodies or decide the samples for the song anyway.

14. "What Timbaland sound? He was barely around then" suggested that to me, but oh well. Truth be told I don't think that Toxic's production is very Timbaland, in any case. It's just odd to me to say he was "barely around" at the time it was released

15. GimmeWork, Gardenia, JoshWho and 6 others like this.
  16. The Britney Funkos have been some of the best of their music-related ones that I've seen.

17. She looks radiant!

18. This is the content we love to see

Only Human, Ti_v, johnoclock and 5 others like this.
  19. Oh that latest IG video of hers is lovely, I forget it’s almost been a whole year since she was given her freedom back. So much has happened since then. I couldn’t stop gigging at the “hey Justin Bieber” bit in the video with the monkey.

20. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

I love seeing her so happy. It's so infectious.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.