Britney Spears

A

AAAAAAAHHHPUSSYCONTROL

Christopher said:
APC said:
I became a fan during the crazy days as well, but because she gained a certain amount of "street cred" and wasn't this teeny bopper, flowery pop tart anymore. Now they're just un-fucking-doing EVERYTHING.

Exactly. While the Dark Britney period wasn't the best for her mental health and we're glad she's better etc etc, her people missed a major re-branding opportunity to turn her into a profitable mature artist rather than clinging to the easy fix of re-softening her.

Her people miss everything. They're as clueless as it comes. That said, it's easy to make fun of them and knock them down, but in all honesty, if it were actually Britney who had control of the reigns we'd probably get nothing. I have no doubt that it's her team that pushes her along at this point, and she just rolls with it. Whereas other artists get a craving to write, or jump in the studio when inspiration hits them, I think Britney just goes in when told and leaves. Nothing extra. So, it's probably a good thing her team has so much control over her.

Her team occasionally miss the smallest details that only people on internet forums pick up on.

I mean honestly, we're talking about the people who made Britney Spears one of the best known women in the world, to suggest that they're somehow idiotic is embarrassingly misguided.

A

AAAAAAAHHHPUSSYCONTROL

Someboy said:
Her team occasionally miss the smallest details that only people on internet forums pick up on.

I mean honestly, we're talking about the people who made Britney Spears one of the best known women in the world, to suggest that they're somehow idiotic is embarrassingly misguided.

Her team is crap compared to her peers in the present pop landscape.

But why? People like to say that a lot, but they never provide any reasoning or evidence for their beliefs. I understand that when placed next to the rise of Lady Gaga, the Circus album campaign looks underwhelming, but then so does everyone else. However, if you compare her to Rihanna or Beyonce, there doesn't seem to be a massive difference between their album campaigns.

The only thing that Britney doesn't do frequently is perform, which of course will be an annoyance for as long as it goes on.

A

AAAAAAAHHHPUSSYCONTROL

Someboy said:
But why? People like to say that a lot, but they never provide any reasoning or evidence for their beliefs. I understand that when placed next to the rise of Lady Gaga, the Circus album campaign looks underwhelming, but then so does everyone else. However, if you compare her to Rihanna or Beyonce, there doesn't seem to be a massive difference between their album campaigns.

The only thing that Britney doesn't do frequently is perform, which of course will be an annoyance for as long as it goes on.

It's everything. All of the small, medium and large things just add up. Her imagery, the photoshoots she gets booked for, her album/single covers, her cheap/plain/boring music videos, her lack of promotion, her website, the way nobody in her team seems to be on the same page with anything, etc. I follow Britney, Rihanna, Gaga, Katy Perry and Ke$ha very closely, and Britney's team is far and away the worst one.

Someboy said:

Exactly...

I can understand the whole performances aspect, but her career is run quite like Beyonce, Rihanna. The ONLY major differences campaign wise between Rihanna, Beyonce, and her..is the amount of output they have per album. Even in her prime, Britney wasn't milking her album till it was dead and dry. The all have a very formulaic approach to each album campaign.

Britney has one of the best teams in the industry, the massive success of everything Circus is evident about that. We base the entire Circus era in reality off a very few things, so of course it's going to look lackluster compared to people who were on every talk show, in every magazine , at every award show flogging their newest album. It makes perspective seem clouded. The fact that she was so successful, despite the fact she most of the publicity was riding on her name alone, makes it even more obvious of the great job she and her team have done with her career.

I can't imagine her pulling what she did with Circus again, promotion wise, and if she does, you best believe I will be leading the angry mob with torches and pitchforks in tow.

A

AAAAAAAHHHPUSSYCONTROL

...So...she has a brilliant team, because they basically did nothing and she still sold mountains? And think of how much she would've sold if she and her team would've tried. You know, that thing that everybody else does.

APC said:
It's everything. All of the small, medium and large things just add up. Her imagery, the photoshoots she gets booked for, her album/single covers, her cheap/plain/boring music videos, her lack of promotion, her website, the way nobody in her team seems to be on the same page with anything, etc. I follow Britney, Rihanna, Gaga, Katy Perry and Ke$ha very closely, and Britney's team is far and away the worst one.

The photoshoots she gets booked for? So Rolling Stone, Cosmopolitan and Glamour are somehow negligent? Strange, as they are three of the biggest magazines in the States.

Cheap music videos? 'Womanizer' was the most expensive video of its year - if you don't like them, just say it, don't beat around the bush trying to say you would like them if only some effort were put into them when major directors like Joseph Kahn, Francis Lawrence, and Jake Nava are brought in and clearly they've had a bit of money spent on them.

Her website, which I visit about once a year, I'll give you.

I guess you have access to the emails that Larry Rudolph and Adam Leber send to one another so her team is somehow not on the same page with one another. That's a strange thing to say, and while I understand what you're trying to say, I just don't see where you get that suggestion from.

Like I said before, I honestly don't see a massive difference between the album campaigns that Beyonce, Rihanna, or Katy Perry have run compared to Britney's last one. Britney did not perform particularly well, but that's not her team's fault as much as it is hers. If we want to point fingers, start with La Spears herself.

Pretty much...no one is saying she should have done what she did. But the fact that she did and still was successful through it proves something. The amount of buzz that was built was incredible, she had specials, was on every magazine, and every news show was talking about her. They did a great job.

It all looked so promising, then once we realized oh this was all we will be getting...that was not so great.

Someboy said:
If we want to point fingers, start with La Spears herself.

I think this is probably the crux of the issue. I agree that Beyoncé, Rihanna, and Katy pretty much do the same type of album campaign, but the difference is that they're all at the forefront of said campaigns. With Britney, I can see why some people could feel there's some kind of faceless leader at the head of it. I mean, obviously she's in the front seat, but it doesn't always feel like the driver's seat.

A

AAAAAAAHHHPUSSYCONTROL

I am fully aware that the main issue is Britney herself, which is why I said before that if it wasn't for her team, even with flaws, we probably wouldn't get shit.

I seriously don't believe some people are comparing the campaigns of Katy, Rihanna and Britney.

And then you guys say "the only different aspect is the performaces". Erm, of course. Performances are simply the most important part of promoting a damn album.

Britney did one performance total in the US. How THE FUCK is that comparable to the campaings of Katy and Rihanna, I just don't know.

And I agree with RJF, and though this is subjective, I always got the feeling Britney was the little kid pushed by her parents into stage during the school Xmas special. She literally acted like one. Heck, a little kid would be more eloquent.

No one will give a fuck about a damn petition, Beyonce fans did the same exact thing cause they were pissed with her Deja Vu video, Christina fans did one to with her lack of promotion of Bionic, and not a single fuck was given. I mean seriously petitions do nothing...

Her era hasn't even started...

Also, Britney's demos were not lost in Rusko's house fire...according to her manager.

A

AAAAAAAHHHPUSSYCONTROL

I just want Britney to go downright ravey on this album. It sounded like it was happening during the spring/summer, but not anymore...unfortunately.

APC said:
I just want Britney to go downright ravey on this album. It sounded like it was happening during the spring/summer, but not anymore...unfortunately.

Balls-to-the-wall rave-ups and Britney would be a perfect fit. Throw in a few 'Unusual You's, and we're good to go.

A

AAAAAAAHHHPUSSYCONTROL

clockworknovak said:
APC said:

Balls-to-the-wall rave-ups and Britney would be a perfect fit. Throw in a few 'Unusual You's, and we're good to go.

Exactly. It'll never happen though...there might one or two that almost qualify (a la 3), but that's pushing it I'm sure.