Britney Spears

he/him
In theory it’d be fun if she did a book solely devoted to talking about her albums and tours. Making them, writing them, things she’s proud of, things she’d do differently. But I think it’s a better idea in theory than it’d be in reality.

Yeah, I think this is something that'd work better in interview/editorial form. Like a commentary sort of thing with producers, etc.

I read an unofficial Britney bio like ten years ago? I wanna say it's Inside A Dream - but what's impressive to me is that almost 90% of what was in that book is also in Britney's book about her ancestors, growing up, gong back home to live a teenage life, then back for MMC, JT and Kevin being cunts - everything till around 2009 gets covered and kind spoiled Woman In Me for me dd.

In theory it’d be fun if she did a book solely devoted to talking about her albums and tours. Making them, writing them, things she’s proud of, things she’d do differently. But I think it’s a better idea in theory than it’d be in reality.
Yeah, I think this is something that'd work better in interview/editorial form. Like a commentary sort of thing with producers, etc.
An oral history of her albums, tours, and videos with the producers, songwriters, directors, dancers, etc. would be a literal dream.

I could see an updated anniversary edition to coincide with a paperback release. Perhaps a few new chapters covering the breakup with Sam and some other tidbits of introspection.

The two things that I’ve continued to think about throughout the week are 1. How much of an impact the Justin breakup had on her and 2. How much the “breakdown” makes sense in hindsight.

I know in For the Record she said she was devastated by the breakup with Justin but truly “didn’t know what to do with myself” after Kevin - but it seems that both were highly destructive to her mental well-being. For different reasons, obviously, but with the added context of the abortion, it reveals a new layer of just how degrading his public betrayals must’ve felt after all they’d been through together.

As for 2007/8, the book does a really solid job at putting so many headlines from that time into perceptive. You had people like Alli Sims and her former nanny doing interviews around 2009 that actually coincide with a lot of what she’s saying in the book. That instead of that time being fueled by a drug addiction or [insert mental diagnosis here], it was the combination of general turmoil and being stalked on a daily basis that caused such chaos around here. Her openness about her postpartum depression and how that led to her Adderall abuse, late-night drives, etc. just makes it all click in a way that the average reader here probably wouldn’t have understood before the book.

Splitting custody was challenging enough for her, but once her custodial rights were stripped away even further, it was a bridge too far for her to handle.

It all leads to the perfect opportunity for Lou to sweep in and orchestrate a literal takeover of her person. Her own family capitalized on the “She’s crazy!” narrative to assume power over her, and that’s something I don’t know how she even begins to cope with.

It's been a lot reading some of these pages. I've had to put it down a few times. But for Britney to have actually lived through all of that is... horrifying. The way all these people went to such great lengths to repeatedly dehumanise, abuse, and humiliate her, is so horribly upsetting, and evil. I don't know if I could've had the strength to live through all of that myself. She's such a ridiculously strong person, that I admire more than ever.

One specific part of the book that I found truly disturbing was about Justin, and the abortion. I had obviously heard about it through social media recently, like many other people, but (to me) it is so much more worse in the book. I truly detest that man, if you can call him that. The way he treated her was so cruel, and the emotional/physical pain that she had to suffer was unjust, and inhumane.

Lou Taylor, her family, Justin, all the judges/legal teams that allowed this to happen to her... they need to be punished severely.

On top of a everything shared about the 13 years of conservatorship in the book, sending Britney randomly to AA when she doesn't drink and rehab here and there for energy pills or to refuse a dance move is really insane.

It is still frustrating that these people haven't been deposed yet and are still walking around freely after the all the cruel things they did to her.

For me one of the hardest part of the book was when she agreed to go to rehab and her dad was there saying "You are a disgrace". Nobody seemed to care what was really wrong with her. Did nobody ever consider that she might have a very serious postpartum depression? That rehab was not what she needed? That she needed some love and understanding instead?

What I loved is that after the umbrella incident she sent the photo agency an apology note. That just shows that she's such a nice person with a big heart.

My heart broke when I read the part about her putting the kids back in the car to get them back to Kevin and realizing she might not see them again which prompted her to lock herself and the kid in the bathroom. I can't imagine how agonizing it must have felt. She carried them full term and he wasn't even around much and suddenly after they were born, she's not fit enough to see them anymore?

It struck me that even though this book sheds some light on the abuse she suffered, people will still play armchair psychology with her nonstop. Despite the vast evidence of her trauma and horrific mistreatment.

A friend shared how awful he found what she’s lived, but that she is “clearly unwell” going by her Instagram posts, and that it’s no surprise her kids want nothing to do with her, as him (my friend) wouldn’t want to be around someone like that… It’s like, didn’t we learn anything from the decades of tabloids speculation and clear greed and inhumanity of those surrounding her? What does unwell even mean? Of course she’s in a long process of finding herself.

I truly hope she can find some peace off the spotlight. I also think how difficult is to build new relationships as an adult, never mind being famous and dealing with what’s she’s survived. How do you rebuild in her case? Community is necessary, I feel, for healing.

Last edited:
Is it me or was reading about her going through the events of 2007 rather, "underwhelming".
Not in a "I wish it was more dramatic way". I just mean, the way she details it is so just normal. It was a woman suffering postpartum depression and trying to navigate a part of her life where she was figuring out what was resulting from the actions of other people around her and what she had to deal with. (Marriage dissolution and giving birth).

People wanted to make that time of her life out to be crazy, that she was crazy and needed to be put away, but she wasn't.
And she was obviously set up from the start. Who the F calls the swat team and helicopters on someone like her?

Celebrities have had nastier divorces with kids involved and nothing close came out of that. They were calling the police and saying lies to get them all out there.

And what breaks my heart the most, is Britney saying, if they didn't intervene like they did, she would have followed her heart and made it out fine and been okay eventually.

I've gotten to a point where if I see an article with an unflattering photo of her or someone on reddit starting their comment with someone insulting, I just don't continue to read or give attention. Real life too.
If people can't still see how strong and much of a fighter she is. I don't think they have much independent thinking of their own to have opinions.

It struck me that even though this book sheds some light on the abuse she suffered, people will still play armchair psychology with her nonstop. Despite the vast evidence of her trauma and horrific mistreatment.

A friend shared how awful he found what she’s lived, but that she is “clearly unwell” going by her Instagram posts, and that it’s no surprise her kids want nothing to do with her, as him (my friend) wouldn’t want to be around someone like that… It’s like, didn’t we learn anything from the decades of tabloids speculation and clear greed and inhumanity of those surrounding her? What does unwell even mean? Of course she’s in a long process of finding herself.

I truly hope she can find some peace off the spotlight. I also think how difficult is to build new relationships as an adult, never mind being famous and dealing with what’s she’s survived. How do you rebuild in her case? Community is necessary, I feel, for healing.
Exactly! Even IF her posts are not normal, this is a woman who experienced something extremely traumatic. And that for 13 years. Even longer if you start from the moment she had that abortion. So it's a miracle she's doing relatively fine. The fact she's now having migraines says a lot too.

I'm happy she said she's slowly starting to trust people again. It's gonna take a lot of time but she's strong.

Is it me or was reading about her going through the events of 2007 rather, "underwhelming".
Not in a "I wish it was more dramatic way". I just mean, the way she details it is so just normal. It was a woman suffering postpartum depression and trying to navigate a part of her life where she was figuring out what was resulting from the actions of other people around her and what she had to deal with. (Marriage dissolution and giving birth).

People wanted to make that time of her life out to be crazy, that she was crazy and needed to be put away, but she wasn't.
And she was obviously set up from the start. Who the F calls the swat team and helicopters on someone like her?

Celebrities have had nastier divorces with kids involved and nothing close came out of that. They were calling the police and saying lies to get them all out there.

And what breaks my heart the most, is Britney saying, if they didn't intervene like they did, she would have followed her heart and made it out fine and been okay eventually.

I've gotten to a point where if I see an article with an unflattering photo of her or someone on reddit starting their comment with someone insulting, I just don't continue to read or give attention. Real life too.
If people can't still see how strong and much of a fighter she is. I don't think they have much independent thinking of their own to have opinions.
She’s probably still not fully digested and dealt with the trauma. It might be a coping mechanism.