Britney Spears

Shade, shade, and shade.
Lies!

I’ve always thought it was ballsy of her to tackle Whitney because, like, nobody should ever do that, but it really does blow my mind that they signed someone with a voice like this - not amazing but very solid and, with proper coaching, enviable - and were like, “Okay, can you do that except not at all and coo like a 17 year old baby instead? K thanks.”

Yeah, her baby voice is legendary and instantly recognizable now, but it’s also launched a billion jokes. I feel like her career would have taken a different trajectory if the baby voice had never happened.

Or maybe she would’ve gone nowhere without the baby voice. Who knows.

Her voice is so instantly recognizable and iconic and that is to her benefit. The mockery really stems from the constant lip syncing, at least as the years have gone on.

I think it was @mindtrappa that once pointed out that what Britney was really good at when she was young was imitating better singers than herself and I think that’s true. Her own, most natural singing voice is probably best represented on From the Bottom of My Broken Heart. The Britneyisms are there but it’s a deeper register and a little more natural. The idea that she was just like Christina but was forced to sing like she does never held water. She had a really nice voice that was molded in Sweden to something unique and, ultimately, iconic.

he/him
I think it was @mindtrappa that once pointed out that what Britney was really good at when she was young was imitating better singers than herself and I think that’s true. Her own, most natural singing voice is probably best represented on From the Bottom of My Broken Heart. The Britneyisms are there but it’s a deeper register and a little more natural. The idea that she was just like Christina but was forced to sing like she does never held water. She had a really nice voice that was molded in Sweden to something unique and, ultimately, iconic.

Yes, she’s more of a voice actress than anything else when you really think about the way she can play around and mimic styles. There’s never been a “real” pre-baby Britney voice. The video of her performing as a child on Star Search, she’s flat out mimicking Judy Garland

Even during the MMC days she was mimicking the artists she was covering – and doing it brilliantly

Britney’s voice is elastic and possibly the most adaptable in pop music history. There is nothing like it. She can mold herself into virtually any sound and still make it her own.

To build on what @Drew said, on her first few albums (up until Britney I guess) she does serve vocals. Not in the Mariah/Whitney way but they are pretty rich with adlibs and interesting little soulful choices that betray her influences. It was after that when they started becoming more and more reliant on the baby voice and vocal effects.

Why are people so obsessed with Britney being a SINGER? It's such a weirdly modern phenomenon and you can only blame the press that Whitney and Mariah employed in the 90s and shows like the X Factor - but being obsessed with the technical quality is missing the point.

People confuse being a singer with being a vocalist. They're not the same thing. Being a technically proficient singer is nice but it doesn't sell records. Being a vocalist a totally different skill - it's about being able to sell the attitude of the song, providing a pleasant tone and largely being instantly recognisable. There are lots of massive pop stars who aren't particularly talented singers but can deliver a brilliant vocal. On the flip side there are lots of great singers who stand behind the main act on packed stages delivering harmonies and not pulling attention.

Britney's voice is iconic. It fronts some of the biggest pop hits of all time. ...Baby, One More Time is a better song for being delivered by Britney and establishing her weird little vocal tics. There's also this narrative with Britney that vocal training and the record label 'stole' her 'real' voice and created the babydoll thing she does. But all major pop stars have vocal trainers who choreograph their voice with the song, and it worked for Britney because she SOLD and has the numbers to prove it.

This new recording is a very naff version of a song made famous by a woman whose entire act was based on her ability to do powerhouse vocal acrobatics. But who cares? That's not what Britney does but it's not like it hurt her career.

The miming thing is a whole other conversation but it's little to do with her ability to SING. She can turn out a vocal live that reflects the record (A TALENT!) but I don't think she's ever particularly cared to. I saw her live multiple times in her peak years and you never got the impression that turning in a live vocal was particularly high on the priority list for anyone.

That audition tape was awful ddd

Didn't they sign her after seeing in her person and seeing how charismatic she was?
To add to what @blaze_dave, let’s not forget the extensive resume Britney had at that point from Star Search, Mickey Mouse Club, etc.

It was a no brainer, she immediately showcased those skills from those shows on her first video where you can see a completely confident, sharp, emotive yet fierce personality. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that level of star power on any newcomer.

Are we sure that audition tape is real and not just some AI stuff that somebody took some time with editing and cropping it together to make it sound like an old recording? I could‘ve sworn that there was a short clip auf the audition that sounded different to this…

Edit: supposedly this one is the “original” and the other one is a version from Britneysvault in which they tried to enhance the vocals.

Last edited:
Are we sure that audition tape is real and not just some AI stuff that somebody took some time with editing and cropping it together to make it sound like an old recording? I could‘ve sworn that there was a short clip auf the audition that sounded different to this…

Edit: supposedly this one is the “original” and the other one is a version from Britneysvault in which they tried to enhance the vocals.

I was thinking that too - the original snippet that leaked was this:

It’s super LQ but it sounds slightly different. However, someone pointed out that if you raise the leaked version by one semitone, the songs sound the same. Not sure why someone edited it but there ya go!

I was thinking that too - the original snippet that leaked was this:

It’s super LQ but it sounds slightly different. However, someone pointed out that if you raise the leaked version by one semitone, the songs sound the same. Not sure why someone edited it but there ya go!

Yeah, the YouTube link I posted is the original tape’s audio and it already sounds much better. They’ve used software to enhance the vocals and make them sound clearer.

Legit crying with laughter. This will now be placed alongside Nicola's version of 'California Gurls', Melanie C's 'Gimme More' and that iconic groups version of 'I Hate This Part'.
I think they were called The 004! Put some respect in their name. I remember a tinder match with the guy...
For kii's: https://forum.popjustice.com/threads/the-004-i-hate-this-part-legends.65412/
giphy.gif