Bruce Springsteen - The Boss Thread (Western Stars Out Now) | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Bruce Springsteen - The Boss Thread (Western Stars Out Now)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by VicePresidentJocasta, Feb 11, 2017.

1. His discography is so vast that it's tough to say exactly. I love his first two albums, but they're maybe a bit tough to get into as introductions to his work (particularly his second record, which is a bunch of 7+ minute songs). Born To Run & Darkness On The Edge of Town are probably the best intros. Not only are they two of the greatest albums of all time, but they're perhaps his most accessible after Born In The USA. I can also assume you're a Killers fan based on your avi, and those two albums + The River are where much of Sam's Town and Battle Born are born from in terms of lyrical content.

What's incredible about his discography is that it quite literally tracks every stage of life; the young, no-fucks-given, fist-to-the-gods hopeful recklessness of the first few albums, the period of growing into adulthood and recognizing the struggles that weigh on your parents, grandparents, friends, and town, which starts around Born To Run/Darkness and really gets deeper with The River and Nebraska, stories of turbulent relationships and self-reflection that make Tunnel Of Love an unmissable record (probably his most underrated), and later in his career many more political musings and rumination on faith, loss and growing older on The Rising, Magic, High Hopes. Even the later albums that are a bit more spotty, quality wise, have gems on each of them.

The first two albums have a ton of essential moments (Growin' Up, Spirit In The Night, Lost in The Flood, Incident on 57th Street, It's Hard To Be a Saint In The City, 4th of July Asbury Park, Rosalita, New York City Serenade), so make sure you go back to those if you start with Born To Run.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. Great! Thanks for the detailed post. Born to run and darkness were my next choices (kinda based on the fact they are in most best lists and their sales).

VicePresidentJocasta likes this.
  3. Enjoy! Let me know what you think after you give them a spin.

4. Looks like Bruce is following in the big pop girls' footsteps and teasing his new era aesthetic on his social media. Word is that there's likely a new single coming very soon an a solo album in June.

Subwaykid and Euphoria like this.
  5. YESSSSSS. Long live the King!

6. From the press release:

Bruce Springsteen’s first new studio album in five years takes his music to a new place, drawing inspiration in part from the Southern California pop records of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s. The album was recorded primarily at Springsteen’s home studio in New Jersey, with additional recording in California and New York.

The song "Hello Sunshine" and a video will be released just after midnight ET tonight.

Tracklist:

1. Hitch Hikin’
    2. The Wayfarer
    3. Tucson Train
    4. Western Stars
    5. Sleepy Joe’s Café
    6. Drive Fast (The Stuntman)
    7. Chasin’ Wild Horses
    8. Sundown
    9. Somewhere North of Nashville
    10. Stones
    11. There Goes My Miracle
    12. Hello Sunshine
    13. Moonlight Motel

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  7. Woooo! Looking forward to this.

8. Now's a good time to point out we got a Boss doll in Greece in 1986 looking like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'MANDONNA'

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  9. I would stan.

10. The song is out there. It's a simple, 60s-inspired tune about trying to leave behind depression ("You know I always liked my walking shoes/But you can get a little too fond of the blues/You walk too far, you walk away/Hello sunshine, won't you stay?"). It's a nice song, if not spectacular. It's got me quite excited to hear the rest of the album. It reminds me a bit of stuff from Devils & Dust.

Euphoria likes this.
  11. I love Hello Sunshine. A bittersweet '60s country-inspired song with gorgeous strings. Bruce's voice sounds soulful & deep. Thrilled he's back with new music.

12. Yea, this in HQ is a proper little bop. I really love it as well. I wonder if he's gonna do a short solo tour or wait until the Born In The USA re-release (rumors say it'll come Q4 this year) and tour with E Street for that next year. I'd love if they reissued both BITUSA and Nebraska together. As much as BITUSA is a great record, most of the tracks have been played to death live. It wouldn't really excite me that much to see the full album played the way they did The River Tour (though I'd still go, obviously). However, I'd kill to see the E Street Band take the original full-band Nebraska on tour.

Subwaykid likes this.
  13. Wow, I managed to miss this thread until today.

I love Springsteen, I've got all the albums, multiple comps, all the usual shizz.

Tunnel Of Love is my favourite album, although the one-two of Streets Of Philadelphia and Secret Garden in 94/95 was my peak of Bruce obsession.

Ray, Euphoria and Faceintheleaves like this.
  14. Excellent post, not more I can add except that I revisited Magic not long ago and it's far better than I thought at the time. I kind of felt he tailed off with all the post-Rising albums...too many badly-produced albums in too short a time, the reverse of the situation in the 80s and 90s.

VicePresidentJocasta likes this.
  15. Hello I am here to stan.

16. I stan anyone who stans Tunnel of Love. I come from a family of Bruce lovers and it always baffled me that many of them would overlook that album. Walk Like A Man, Tougher Than The Rest, Spare Parts, Two Faces, Brilliant Disguise, One Step Up... so many great tunes.

I agree about Magic, it's a solid record. Livin' In The Future is classic E Street without feeling redundant (it was relevant enough to get tons of angry fans to walk out during the Giants Stadium show I went to in '08), and the last run of tracks is truly fantastic (Last To Die, Long Walk Home, Devil's Arcade + Terry's Song). Gypsy Biker was great live and I have really fond memories of that tour. Wrecking Ball also has a few standouts: Death to My Hometown, in particular. But I also really like This Depression, Shackled and Drawn, Wrecking Ball, and the fact that they finally recorded Land of Hopes and Dreams and American Land. Working on A Dream is his post-Rising record that I go back to the least. Devils & Dust and High Hopes also have some good stuff.

Euphoria and Eric Generic like this.
  17. My favorite release of the week, along with FKA Twigs' Cellophane.

Just gorgeous.

18. I know the odd song of his but I’ve been meaning to get into him properly for ages.
    I have no idea where to start but I’m gonna play this new album anyway.
    I have the Magic album in my head as the best place to start for some reason. I have no idea why because I’ve never heard it but I swear I saw that album cover so much when I first started listening to music passionately around 2008. So I dunno, I guess I might start there.

19. Magic isn't a bad place to begin.

Key albums for me are, in no particular order:

Tunnel of Love
    The Rising
    Born To Run
    Born In The USA
    Magic

There's a great album in amongst the Human Touch/Lucky Town era, too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.