Bruce Springsteen - The Boss Thread (Western Stars Out Now) | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Bruce Springsteen - The Boss Thread (Western Stars Out Now)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by VicePresidentJocasta, Feb 11, 2017.

1. I'd say Born to Run/Darkness On The Edge of Town/Born In The USA are the best starting points. Then probably The River/Tunnel of Love/The Rising. If you really wanna ease in, his Greatest Hits or Essential Collection would be a good starting point and might give you an idea of which eras you'd like best based on the singles. I detailed where to jump in for @cortex on the last page as well.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. I forgot about The River, sheesh.

Lots of great Springsteen compilations out there, too.

Euphoria and irishlamb like this.
  3. Leaving Darkness off of your list is also a sin!

Euphoria and Eric Generic like this.
  4. Thanks guys!!
    I kinda wanna go with an album, I’ve always preferred playing full albums over Greatest Hits if I can help it!
    The River was another one that stuck out to me actually, now you mention it @Eric Generic.
    I know some Born To Run and Born In The USA so I guess it would make sense to go with them.

Eric Generic likes this.
  5. He’s such an incredible artist. So glad he’s still around doing great work.

Gorgeous album cover too!

6. His best in years.

Euphoria and SlowBurn like this.
  7. I actually got into Bruce with the Born In The USA album first, through I'm On Fire (probably still my favorite Bruce track). I'd been familiar with Dancing In The Dark, My Hometown, etc...

My top 3 favorite albums are Nebraska, Darkness On The Edge of Town, & Tunnel Of Love.

It's very hard for me to explain my love for his music - once I fully dug into his discography, his music resonated with me deeply - as if it's always been woven into my life. His voice sounds like an old friend, his lyrics constantly lead me to reflect on my past, present, & think about what I want my future to be like. He's just an incredible artist, with deeply moving, passionate music.

Not sure if it'd be helpful or not (I have a long list of favorites), but here are a few of my essential Bruce tracks if you or anyone else is looking to explore his music:

- I'm On Fire
    - Dancing In The Dark
    - Racing In The Street
    - Atlantic City
    - Tougher Than The Rest
    - Streets of Philadelphia
    - Candy's Room
    - Sad Eyes
    - My Father's House
    - Reason To Believe

That list is admittedly '70s-'80s heavy, but I'm still working my way through his discography!

Jwentz, SlowBurn, irishlamb and 2 others like this.
  8. I love the appreciation for Tunnel in this thread! Nebraska is so underrated, as well. I have to be in the mood to listen to it as a whole, but it's such an incredible, darkly cinematic record. Few artists would have the balls to go from a stretch of massive albums like BTR, Darkness, and The River to a bare-bones acoustic record full of songs about serial killers and daddy issues. I'm glad he still brings some of Nebraska out on tour (I may have wept to the full-band Reason To Believe once or twice...). I also think his first record is often overlooked, even though it's packed with youthful brilliance.

Eric Generic and Euphoria like this.
  9. Tunnel Of Love is fantastic. The blend of rock, ‘80s pop, & country served him really well. Nebraska’s one of those albums that creates its own world & atmosphere. It’s brilliant. I know what you mean about Reason To Believe - it’s one of my all-time favorite Bruce songs. I’ve cried to it multiple times, dddd.

I need to listen to Greetings... a bit more, because I always neglect it for The Wild, The Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle! They’re like sister albums to me. New York City Serenade is another all-time favorite.

Eric Generic likes this.
  10. Those first two records really are very much are sister albums. I often go back and forth between which is my favorite of the two. Greetings has some of my all-time Bruce favorites: Growin' Up, Lost In the Flood, Spirit In The Night, It's Hard to Be A Saint In The City. But I also struggle to name any album closer as strong as the back-to-back run of Rosalita, Incident on 57th Street, and New York City Serenade. Such a fucking knockout.

11. So I’m on my 4th play through of Born To Run haha it’s great!! I’m finding it hard to understand what he’s singing though, I dunno if it’s because I have it too loud or maybe it’s the remastered version? Anyway, it’s great!
    Faves after a few listens are Thinder Road, Born To Run (I knew those two already), Jungleland and Tenth Avenue Freeze Out.(possibly my fave). Loving the whole thing though. Might sit with this for a couple of weeks and then move onto Born In The USA.

12. I can listen to pretty much any Springsteen album and enjoy it, except for the first two. They're just too Dylan-try-hard for my tastes.

Euphoria likes this.
  13. Loving all the praise I've been seeing for Hello Sunshine.

I said this in the Madonna thread, but the fact that Madonna & Bruce Springsteen, in their 60s, are making better first singles than someone in their prime like Taylor Swift just goes to show how lucky we are as fans.

14. Not at all familiar with Bruce's discography but I have to say, Hello Sunshine is gorgeous.

VicePresidentJocasta likes this.
  15. I didn't love the second single, There Goes My Miracle, but those who attended the listening session said it's the weakest track on the album. Reviews coming out are glowing, and the lyric book leaked and hints at this being quite a dark record. I'm perched.

Next single should be out Friday with a video.

16. Yeah, I was not thrilled with the overtly polished sound of There Goes My Miracle, either, but everything else about the album sounds quite amazing!

17. I have to catch him on tour at some point. What an incredible talent and total legend.
    Him and Billy Joel are on my MUST SEE list.

18. Hungry Heart is one of my fave songs of his

19. Reviews for this incredible across the board. I'm so perched for Friday.

Rolling Stone: "A lushly orchestrated set of throwback, country-tinged folk pop that, despite some resemblance to previous works like Nebraska and The Ghost of Tom Joad, sounds like little else in his catalog. Frankly, its sheen is off-putting at first. But once you settle in, the set reveals some of Springsteen’s most beguiling work ever." (4/5 Stars)

The Guardian: "An album that manages to be both unexpected and of a piece with its author’s back catalogue. ... Western Stars is powerful enough to make you wish Bruce Springsteen would take more stylistic detours in the future." (4/5 Stars)

Consequence of Sound: "With all the lush classicism and narrative contentment, it would be easy for Western Stars to become overly saccharine by the end of its 50-minute runtime. But Springsteen wisely keeps the instrumentation sparse and somber in a handful of stories (namely the music-industry breakup “Somewhere North of Nashville” and the lovelorn closer “Moonlight Motel”) and ensures that not all of the album’s happy endings are quite so grandiose." (A-)

Irish Times: "Those old enough will recognise the influence of Burt Bacharach and Glen Campbell while Springsteen’s nuanced vocals carry some of the drama and emotional heft of Roy Orbison or the Walker Brothers. ... Perhaps with his own fragile mental health in mind, the writer’s empathy with their vulnerability hits home. The 13 songs are also remarkably cohesive in tone with the exception of Tucson Train, a catchy if standard tune from another era, and the Tex-Mex lite Sleepy Joe’s Cafe." (5/5 Stars)

Newsday: "Springsteen pairs the orchestral grandeur of early 1970s greats like Harry Nilsson and the collaborations of Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb with tales of men trying to cope with lives, knowing they are past their prime. The title track is about an actor best known for being shot by John Wayne now peddling erectile dysfunction medication." (4/4 Stars)

The AP: "Each song stands alone as a self-contained story; taken as a whole it’s a panorama of loneliness and heartbreak. The protagonists are mostly men, and mostly beaten down, but there are occasional whiffs of freedom, usually tied to the joys of the open road, that most enduring of American myths."

Subwaykid likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.