Camila Cabello - C,XOXO

I have no real interest in listening to it again but there's something compelling about this whole thing.

It's extremely clear the likes of Rosalia and Charli have opened up paths for lower-mid pop girls on majors like Camila to attempt this sort of thing now, even if it doesn't click as a believable package.

he/him
I like it. It's disjointed but it works. The whole package makes me think of debut era Lorde for some reason, even if obviously doesn't sound like a Lorde song at all, it just has that mid-10s alt kid vibe.

We're in the midst of a mid-late aughts revival, so it makes sense. Camila is your generic girl who will try on every trend that comes across her FYP, and that's fine. It's also the responsibility of a pop star to at least recognize these things and try to keep up, so we can't knock her completely. Her absolute non-commitment to whatever body she's snatched for an era before tossing it aside for a fresh one is pretty fascinating, though. The wendigo of pop. I luv it.

The section post 'iluvitiluvit...' is pop-perfection and the stuff that really scratches my brain.

The video felt like a Rosalia directed episode of Euphoria. Bit of a serve.

I've had the chorus ping-ponging around in my head for weeks but I'm not sure the whole package hangs together properly. The video feels like a lot of disparate ideas, unless there's an intentional reference I'm missing. The rap is a miss for me too, sadly.

I have no real interest in listening to it again but there's something compelling about this whole thing.

It's extremely clear the likes of Rosalia and Charli have opened up paths for lower-mid pop girls on majors like Camila to attempt this sort of thing now, even if it doesn't quite click as a believable package. I find that quite interesting from a pop nerd point of view, I guess.

Streaming and TikTok also opened the same doors - labels areaway with taking a risk with a song that doesn't smash immediately.

It feels like it just…exists? Which is no wonder considering she’s copying her influences rather than using them to actually create her own vision.

I do feel like there was potential during the debut era, but most of the material since then, coupled with the racism, have made for a disastrous career to watch.

Not you spelling her name with the hard -er.

wait that was not--
FAg.gif

The production isn’t bad (especially when Playboi Carti comes in), but that hook and especially the post-chorus or whatever? Awful. I understand people are going to like, punish themselves into thinking it’s good, or “stan ironically” because they’re ~subversive n edgy~, but it’s okay to accept that something is just… not great. Truly.