Camila Cabello - Camila (Debut Album & Singles Discussion) | Page 251 | The Popjustice Forum

Camila Cabello - Camila (Debut Album & Singles Discussion)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Hyrulian, Oct 14, 2016.

1. It's not a big album, it is quite lowkey, feels maybe not reductive but flat at times. Flat considering the hype we got. I was expecting more instrumentation and hit-me-in-the-face melodies. Not necessarily ambitious and stuff, but with 4 solid bangers, 2 solid ballads and the rest. And what I found on Spotify today was a draft of an album. Now I get the notebook promotion/images we got before.

But, at the same time, while not so loud, it is cute and growing. A good choice for a tea time/coffee time.

Vixen and Ferk like this.
  2. A spectacularly solid endeavor, teeming with jubilant personality and smoldering exuberance, awash in a mixture of confidence and contemplation. In the grand tradition of solo departures, it feels a perfect showcase for her abilities to stretch between balladry and boppery with an almost effortless swing; yet, at the same time, there lingers a resistance to totally declare independence, creating an atmosphere more cozy than confessional.

Perhaps most tangible is the pervasive acoustic-laden, chilled-out vibe, opting out of a full-on dance record that may have cheapened her individuality, which is, quite frankly, marvelously stamped upon each track. It feels deeply personal whilst holding much depth, opening the doors for more fascinating possibilities and pathways to embark upon.

A nice, smooth collection of lowkey-pop nuggets.

3. "Into It" is a bop.

Whyamievenhere likes this.
  4. I can't believe how popular she is. She's literally one of the biggest stars on the planet right now.

Drawlight likes this.
  5. I'm really enjoying this. She Loves Control, In the Dark and Real Friends are my faves on the first listen.

Serg., Whyamievenhere and andru like this.
  6. In the Dark won't leave my head.

7. She Loves Taking Wigs Control is an album highlight on the first listen

8. Bought the CD yesterday in HMV in the UK. Love it - never liked Fifth Harmony, though.

Whyamievenhere likes this.
  9. The sparse, galactic atmosphere of In The Dark is incredible.

Petty Mayonnaise and Raichu like this.
  10. It's definitely the best of the songs we hadn't heard before release.

11. The only song I'd heard before the release was Havana, so digging into this album was a bit of a discovery.

Raichu likes this.
  12. Just listened to Scar Tissue. It's pretty shit. Glad it didn't make the album.

13. Aw. I actually really like scar tissue. I love the building prechorus and the melody used there

bleedingheart80 likes this.
  14. I kinda hope The Boy leaks.

aniraz likes this.
  15. US Spotify:
    #4 - Havana
    #6 - Never Be The Same
    #34 - Real Friends
    #44 - In The Dark

#74 - Into You It
    #77 - She Loves Control
    #81 - All These Years
    #107 - Consequences
    #115 - Inside Out
    #123 - Something’s Gotta Give

Singles #3 + #4 confirmed, please & thank you.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  16. Something's Gotta Give really grew on me after a few listens

17. I love how periodically throughout this thread, Into It gets called Into You.

Ariana and her gospel hymn always on our minds.

18. This feels much more like her My Everything than her Yours Truly to me.

19. Luc

Luc

I guess she'll be Ariana Grande's main competition now.. Wonder which one will stay!

20. For me it's the reverse, this album puts cohesion ahead of bops, it's a prototypical pop album written for balance and to establish an identity rather than flood radio with easy hits (something you can only do effectively once people know who you are).

dylanaber likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.