Camila Cabello - Camila

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I see people use this excuse all the time for a number of artists and it never, not once, makes sense. She's a mainstream pop star signed to a major label and this is her first album campaign. She's not SZA or Khalid or Kacey or any one of those slow-burn crossover artists who don't rely on big singles to push their albums. No one is checking for Camila Cabello of all people to deliver an authentic album experience. Swae Lee was not called up to add a verse to Real Friends because she was intent on "moving in a different direction", it was to get a hit, and it failed.

I also don't see how there's any threat of overexposure? Her career isn't even two years old yet. All I'm saying is that Ariana and Rihanna and Katy got to where they are because they played the game and delivered a steady stream of hits for years before doing whatever they wanted. Camila can move in a different direction all she wants, but if that means joining Alessia Cara at a job fair, then sure.
I really don't think the plan with New Friends was to be a radio single, though. Sangria Wine was a lost cause, but I do agree that maybe it is a bit ignorant to think big "traditional" hits aren't the end goal. What I've noticed from her especially is that there's a strong interest in keeping her streaming presence alive. She's had so many songs in and out of huge playlists on Spotify, it all feels like that's a main focus for her.

Camila is an okay album. Not any worse than the debuts of popstars that are legends now. I mean, of course it ain't Madonna or The Fame, both of which are ridiculously strong debuts, or even a Yours Truly, but I think it's probably a bit stronger than Kylie and Britney's debuts.

That's not to say she'll be a legend. It's becoming clear to me that her and her team are way too conservative and bland in their approach to make her an exciting enduring act. I still think she has the potential though.

Last edited:
Camila is an okay album. Not any worse than the debuts of popstars that are legends now. I mean, of course it ain't Madonna or The Fame, both of which are ridiculously strong debuts, or even a Yours Truly, but I think it's probably a bit stronger than Kylie and Britney's debuts.

That's not to say she'll be a legend. It's becoming clear to me that her and her team are way too conservative and bland in their approach to make her an exciting enduring act. I still think she has the potential though.

She doesn't have the it factor really, her personality/image reeks of desperation and I don't see the geepee ever getting invested in her. The Ashanti of our time.

I don't get "artsy" from any of her songs. To these ears the current songs sound like safe re-treads of her hits. Liar and Senorita sound like Havana. Shameless and Easy sound like Never Be The Same. They're not bad, but not groundbreaking either. Nothing she's doing feels like a departure or anything artsier than what worked for her before, which is a problem of its own but a familiar one when labels want to re-create "hits".

I don't get "artsy" from any of her songs. To these ears the current songs sound like safe re-treads of her hits. Liar and Senorita sound like Havana. Shameless and Easy sound like Never Be The Same. They're not bad, but not groundbreaking either. Nothing she's doing feels like a departure or anything artsier than what worked for her before, which is a problem of its own but a familiar one when labels want to re-create "hits".
They’re like rehashes but even worse - she’s lost me this era

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
She doesn't have the it factor really, her personality/image reeks of desperation and I don't see the geepee ever getting invested in her. The Ashanti of our time.
t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

I'mma need you to leave icon Ashanti out of this

Status
Not open for further replies.