Canadian Politics | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Canadian Politics

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ohnostalgia, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Fair point. I fully admit that I don't really know much about Western Canada at all, aside for maybe BC. Which coincidently seems to be one of the only provinces that voted left.

Clearly it's time I start paying attention.

Mr Blonde, nooniebao and ohnostalgia like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

For me personally, my disconnectedness comes from the feeling that the Liberals have abandoned non-conservative voters out west because they know they won't win seats. It's not a coincidence that the NDP is usually the second choice candidate across Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta. Like @KYLE said, it's so incredibly frustrating to live in a region where the people who share your values seem to be in an ever shrinking minority. I really thought the NDP could hold on to some urban prairie ridings, but we couldn't even have that. And we lost our most important representative - Ralph Goodale - because of an independent smear campaign to vote him out to "send a message to the Liberals."

But the general strand of "western alienation" is of course very different from my own perspective. This Wikipedia page and this article are a good place to start.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    nooniebao and slaybellz like this.
  3. Dumb question: Why is Central Canada called Central Canada when it's just the two most eastern provinces? I was thinking that somehow the regional divide was opposite to the U.S.'s (coast/urban enclaves vs rural/central), but it's sort of east vs west?

ohnostalgia, nooniebao and inevitable like this.
  4. Are you talking about Quebec and Ontario? They're not the most eastern provinces.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. Oop I forgot Nova Scotia and New Brunswick because they're so small on the map... and someone told me about "Newfies" once...

So is Eastern Canada in the same predicament as Western?

ohnostalgia likes this.
  6. Plus Newfoundland & Labrador and PEI.

slaybellz and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Western Canada: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba
    Central Canada: Ontario & Quebec
    Atlantic Canada: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland & Labradour
    The North: Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut

I'd argue the divide is Western Canada vs. Central Canada, with a side of Anglo Canada vs. Quebec (or perhaps more accurately Alberta vs. Quebec).

Yes, Eastern alienation is also a thing. But because most of those provinces have been part of Canada longer than Western Canada, they have better representation in government. Newfoundland used to be its own country until 1949.

8. Not to make myself sound like a damn idiot but last night was the first time I ever heard of a problem between Quebec and Alberta and I’ve never been aware of Western Canada having issues with Ontario & Quebec.

Where I live in Ontario is not in a major metropolitan area, so the vast majority of my understanding of provincial politics is Northern Ontario vs. Southern Ontario, which in itself is a whole different battle.

9. Seems like Canada needs an electoral overhaul just like the US does.

10. Thanks! I know this stuff's probably all on Wikipedia again, but it's nice to have someone break down the cultural/regional divisions. I've been trying to follow the election more closely since you started this thread and have realized I know far less about Canada than I would've thought – typical Americunty!

inevitable and ohnostalgia like this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Always happy to help! Canada is definitely a nation of regions and it doesn't help that it's so expensive for Canadians to travel to other parts of Canada.

12. I never knew about Quebec vs. Alberta specifically either. I thought it was just Francophones vs. Anglophones in general.

inevitable and ohnostalgia like this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

It's definitely still francophones vs anglophones, but Alberta and Quebec especially hate each other. One of the fundamental tenants of "Western Alienation" is that Central Canada spends more energy on keeping Quebec in the country than it does reaching out to Alberta. Also many are resentful about the equalization payments that transfer money from Alberta to Quebec.

Remorque, inevitable and slaybellz like this.
  14. Canada is just so geographically huge and with travel being impractical or expensive for most, it becomes quite disconnected.

15. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

@slaybellz here’s a good article about western alienation, interviewing an actual westerner.

In other news Elizabeth May stepped down as Green leader, which I think is a good move. I’ll have to keep my membership up to date so I can vote for the new leader next year.

16. What a mess all of this is.

nooniebao and ohnostalgia like this.
  17. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

nooniebao and thequinntessential like this.
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Considering a large number of Canadians were aboard Flight PS752, I hope Iran will cooperate with us on the investigation.

slaybellz likes this.
  19. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Well it turns out that Iran accidentally shot down the plane. So an unfounded US act of aggression led to the death of mostly Iranians and Canadians.

tea, Mr Blonde and slaybellz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.