Cardi B - "Enough (Miami)" + 2nd Album

he / him
Have there ever been any other big artists with such a long gap between debut and sophomore albums? I honestly can't think of any.
The gap between Kelly Rowland's debut, Simply Deep, and sophomore, Ms Kelly, was close at around five years, but she had Destiny's Child's Destiny Fulfilled and #1s in that gap.

The way she's missed every single opportunity to release an album is really something.
They made it seem like we'd get album news fairly quickly after Like What/Enough dropped, but it's been 6+ weeks of virtual silence again after the promo rounds ended. I imagine they expected Punteria and Enough to do better, but they still should have used them as a jumping off point.

The Meta Gala is next week, though - I could see her making a splashy appearance there and then announcing a new single. But I think they need to stop waiting on a smash and just announce the album.

They made it seem like we'd get album news fairly quickly after Like What/Enough dropped, but it's been 6+ weeks of virtual silence again after the promo rounds ended. I imagine they expected Punteria and Enough to do better, but they still should have used them as a jumping off point.

The Meta Gala is next week, though - I could see her making a splashy appearance there and then announcing a new single. But I think they need to stop waiting on a smash and just announce the album.
The fact she literally had two of these, one of them being a solo song, and still no album…

A top 10 debut was fantastic for her after all these hit and miss droplets, I don't know what more they want if success is the issue.

I think her label is searching for a WAP or Up sized hit to launch the album. They probably felt they had good odds with Enough + Punteria dropping so close together that they'd get a US hit with Enough and a Global hit with Punteria, but both songs fizzled quickly. Enough only spent 1 week in the top 40 and it's racked up less than 30M streams on Spotify in 6+ weeks. They were clearly trying to build comeback hype with Like What dropping right before, too, so I have to image they're disappointed in the (lack of) longevity of the single.

She should have been ready with an album announcement as soon as Enough went top 10, with another single lined up a few weeks later. Whatever they do next will feel like starting from scratch all over again, because Enough feels like it's come and gone the same way Hot Shit and Bongos did.

I was just thinking about how if "Enough" was dropped with the album pre-order, this would have been wildly more successful since it's a banger. Kinda feels like fans are done with singles until something concrete is coming from the looks of things nn.

Just drop the album. Delaying it more won’t change anything and will only generate more negative press.

I can't imagine the pressure to deliver a sophomore album after a wildly successful debut, but they have to just do it. If they would've put something out after Up, even if didn't deliver on the hype (which at this point, nothing will. It's been too long so I really don't think there's anything she can do that'll be universally revered) she would've been riding on the back of that and WAP and those two massive moments would at least be apart of the era. It'd be out and over with so she could move on without expectations quite as high. Now that they've waited 6+ years and gone through several singles, it's going to be even more of an uphill battle than it would've been 3/4 years ago. I want her to win so bad!

Anyway - Enough is a banger, hopefully it's a slow burner and she's got more up her sleeve and an announcement is coming very soon. Also kind of unrelated - a visual album from her would be everything. Her visuals are always done so incredibly well, she has an insane eye. She's truly one of the best in the game on that front. I realize that's a pretty lofty wish considering there's not even an album announced yet, but I hope it's something we get in the future.