Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B | Page 245 | The Popjustice Forum

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by pop3blow2, Jun 3, 2016.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I listened to her cover of Last Christmas today

[​IMG]

4Roses, Kuhleezi, K94 and 25 others like this.
  2. RJF

RJF

I... keep forgetting this even exists.

3. I play it literally every day nñn.

4. It was an immediate bop but it's even better with each listen.

Ferk likes this.
  5. Am I alone in thinking the reception to this is kind of... muted? I was hoping she'd take more of a risk at this stage.

Rob, ephemeralartery and neinzedd like this.
  6. This has grown on me a bit, but there's nothing very notable about it. I know people will say that Carly should just continue to do what she's good at, but if we're gonna deify her on this forum, I think we should also expect progression (and by that I mean progression that you don't have to squint to see). Party For One is pleasant, but I don't think it's nearly as good as most the stuff Kim Petras put out before that Haloween collection, which I don't care for anymore.

Tracy Jacks and Verandi like this.
  7. I think we should wait for the album, her first singles are always this type of songs. Surely the album will show progression.

8. I don't think it reaches the heights of EMOTION but it also distances itself from the lows (Black Heart, Love Again, LA Hallucinations).

On another note, I just rediscovered the magic of Never Get to Hold You for the first time in forever since it's not on US Spotify and fuck, what a song!

clowezra likes this.
  9. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

LA Hallucinations and Love Again are NOT lows!!!

10. GLC

GLC

Personally, "Making The Most of the Night" is the only real low on the album (excluding the bonus tracks). It's just too aggressively Sia for my tastes. At least LA Hallucinations' chorus bops.

collxtion and AndrewX like this.
  11. Mittens is ha best Christmas song teebs.

12. Party For One is her Missing U. Now we wait for the Honey.

Andrew.L likes this.
  13. I...don’t know that Carly has the range for something as loose and translucent as Honey.

14. Making The Most Of The Night has some of my favourite songwriting ever. I hate "hijack" in the chorus, but the verses are stunningly written.

JakobVision22 and GimmeWork like this.
  15. Ha Agave cometh then.

matthew., nikkysan, Jwentz and 2 others like this.
  16. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Don't think mean something that will sonically match "Honey", but rather something that represents the same shift as it did for Robyn.

matthew., Crisp X, Lander and 15 others like this.
  17. I would certainly be here for that.

My comment wasn’t necessarily meant as a direct criticism either; Carly excels at more direct confessional songwriting and tends to paint it wider strokes. Something as dreamy as Honey would be a gorgeous fit for her voice but I’m not sure how her songwriting would match it.

matthew. likes this.
  18. I could definitely see her following a more Robyn-esque trajectory eventually. She’ll likely never reach the same exhilarating heights as Robyn, true, but I think she does have the potential to follow a somewhat similar path if she has the chance.

GimmeWork likes this.
  19. RJF

RJF

Carly does not have the range for much further than what she’s currently doing.

20. Didn’t you say this when you heard missing you?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.