Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated + Side B | Page 343 | The Popjustice Forum

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated + Side B

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by pop3blow2, Jun 3, 2016.

1. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say this is "nothing like Emotion" as it is still 80s indebted pop music written and performed by Carly Rae Jepsen, but rather than being a complete rehash of that album there's some sonic progression here. Just judging by the snippets, but it's a little groovier, more of a mood album than the blockbuster collection of bangers Emotion was.

2. Honestly, I agree. I also know that I'm going to love this, possibly just as much as EMOTION.

GimmeWork and slaybellz like this.
  3. ‘Julien’ is fucking fantastic. The production is sublime. I’m so hyped for this album. Yas take me to your warm disco, Queen.

ohnostalgia, RUNAWAY, Lander and 11 others like this.
  4. I love it. If you wanna wait then don't listen to the 90 sec clips...here they are..

Blob, Lander, mmcg10 and 16 others like this.
  5. That's fair. You're right it is still 80s, 70s influenced. It's just so much more of a groove, a mood, and a sensual one than anything on emotion other than maybe warm blood.

Like if Emotion was a fist pump, this is a booty drop to the floor. And it picks it up slow.

6. I'm digging the overall vibe of those samples - she seems to be more rhythmically experimental than on her past stuff. I don't know if I'll ultimately like it as much as Emotion, but I appreciate the shift in sound. I think it will still be a solid set of songs. It's Carly Rae.

7. The Emotion/Dedicated progression totally reminds me of what La Roux was going for when Ely dropped the heavier synthpop elements on Trouble in Paradise. Kylie with Body Language too. I love a velvety serve!

Ferk and GimmeWork like this.
  8. Julien is my favorite so far. I really like the production and the vocal delivery, its so slinky.

Also enjoying the more overtly disco vibe this time around based on the snippets.

Ferk and GimmeWork like this.
  9. Well... Right Words Wrong Time sounds lovely.

10. “Julien” fucking sparkles. It’s passing the Friday night joint test wonderfully. I liked this on first listen, but now I’m completely in love. It’s hook after hook! The way the bridge drowns itself before the key changed synth crashes in... a moment. Plus, her voice is perfectly emoted. It’s a rollerskating crush song and a clear progression.

11. Based on the 90 second previews, sounds like a third of the albums are fillers...The others are OK to good.

Not Party For One being one of the top tracks.
    ddddddddd

I'll still buy the album to support the good sis so she can continue working and hopefully strike gold again.

12. Sam

Sam

I’m so happy with those snippets. After digging Party For One for a while, not really getting into the other two and then Julien being nice enough, I wasn’t super optimistic for this album, but holy shit. The production sounds fucking sublime throughout. Super into Right Words Wrong Time and I’m hoping For Sure has a drop somewhere with all that tentative teasing and building. Too Much sounds like the one in the way that Run Away With Me was, albeit a little more muted and understated. The only one I’m not really digging on first listen is Automatically In Love, but I’m open minded.

Honestly I don’t think I can articulate how happy I am she’s moved on from the Emotion soundscape. Everything is still sugary in a way, but I think that’s just down to the nature of her voice. I’m so glad she’s changed it up.

Music Is Death, Ferk and GimmeWork like this.
  13. Real love sounds like a real winner.

It's all feeling a little underwhelming. However, I'm hoping it's just because they are clips. Thank you for posting them by the way.

14. Thank you so much!

I don’t know what you guys are talking about, these snippets sound UH-MAZING! I hope the full thing lives up to my hype now

15. “Julien” is giving me that Goldroom, The Knocks, Bondax, Fred Falke/Alan Braxe-esque sun-kissed “nu-disco” that I adore. Bring on the album!

GimmeWork and Crisp X like this.
  16. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

It’s a warm, rainy, spring morning and Julian sounds absolutely dreamy. Bring on an entire album of this.

ohnostalgia, RUNAWAY, Jwentz and 6 others like this.
  17. Julien is sublime. It’s Carly at her most wistful and light.

18. Julien is perfect for this weather. That chorus hits in just the right place

RUNAWAY, speedyboi, GimmeWork and 2 others like this.
  19. Ok those snippets sound amazing. Someone put me into a coma until May 15 please.

And I’m not hearing much of her previous albums so those of you looking for ~growth~ should be thrilled.

RUNAWAY, Sam, tj-x and 5 others like this.
  20. ‘Too Much’...yas give me that obsessive, sociopathic anthem that I love, my stalker Queen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.