Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated + Side B | Page 392 | The Popjustice Forum

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated + Side B

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by pop3blow2, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Right? It's my favorite. I'm still so annoyed it won't be on the vinyl (even if Real Love is admittedly a fantastic closer).

2. It has some of the most interesting production she's ever worked with. Layers and layers and layers.

Something I really appreciate about the album is how up front her vocals are. She's rarely sounded clearer and more accessible vocally.

Sam, myblood, Tracy Jacks and 3 others like this.
  3. Drove out to the countryside to stay at my sister's over the weekend, and I played the album both heading there and heading back - what an experience!!

I've seen a lot of people say they felt underwhelmed, but the pedestal we hold Emotion up to, it was always going to turn out that way. No Drug Like Me, Now That I Found You and Want You In My Room are my current trinity. Definitely would be keen to see Dedicated: B Sides at some point.

4. For those who bought the physical album, is this actually the back cover?

5. I like that the tracklist forms the shape of a bobblehead angel. Holy queen.

Sam, myblood, AndrewX and 4 others like this.
  6. At least the Canadian Deluxe Edition.

francisco likes this.
  7. I also see a pacifier, queen of soothing babies.

8. It is and I hate it.

Jersey, Lapras and francisco like this.
  9. Off topic-ish, but All That is severely underrated.

10. I'm kinda drunk, but listening to Fever has me picturing Carly on these Kylie tracks and she would fit perfectly. I totally see her as the millennial Kylie. She taps into a similar emotion. Sheer joy combined with a twinge of melancholy.

11. Dddddd. The back cover serves Carrie Underwood country pop album.

12. ALSO, have y'all noticed there are such incredible ad-libs in literally every track if you listen with a little intent? She trills, echoes, harmonizes and flutters under so many toplines.

This album is made for us, sistren. We'll notice stuff 200 listens later.

Sam, myblood, Music Is Death and 7 others like this.
  13. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

This didn't really click with me on my first listen, but I'm listening to the songs on shuffle right now and I'm coming around to them. I think the album's biggest drawback is its sequencing? There's a lot of transitions between tracks that are quite jarring (Feels Right in between Automatically In Love and Right Words Wrong Time is the worst offender), and it's especially odd because the album's overall sound is fairly coherent (with a few outliers) and I don't think it'd be difficult to rearrange them into something that flows more organically.

I have to talk about For Sure though. That production with the glockenspiels (or whatever they are) and winding bass is just...out of this world, and I love how it ends with a whimper rather than a bang. It even reminds me a little of Track 10, and I wish it was actually the album's closing track.

Euphoria and nametag like this.
  14. It's a great album, perhaps needs a few listens to really get into though. Definitely stronger from the middle onwards.

15. I mean it's literally

Music Is Death and jknza22 like this.
  16. How many times is that 'Carly ranks her own songs' video going to be posted, I wonder?

17. When Popjustice see Carly rank her own songs then they post it too much

heavymetalGAGA, Sam, myblood and 19 others like this.
  18. I’m sort of stuck on ‘Want You in My Room’ and ‘For Sure’ at the moment but it’s all pretty great (though, funnily enough, the pre-release tracks bar ‘Too Much’ still don’t do it for me, even against the backdrop of the album).

Mr Blonde likes this.
  19. Perhaps almost as much as the Simlish version of Run Away With Me got posted when it was first released.

JMRGBY, myblood, lushLuck and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.