Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B | Page 537 | The Popjustice Forum

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by pop3blow2, Jun 3, 2016.

1. I don’t get the California love.

2. Give it a few more listens, and you'll probably be thinking 'Now I don't hate California after all'

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    BeingNormal, Conan, Jacques and 10 others like this.
  3. You need to listen to it with a good pair of headphones so you can hear all the waves and water sound effects. Carly really gave me the sandy beach vacation I wanted with spending a dime!

4. [​IMG]

The only way I leave the house now.

5. Love on the beach and the tide is high~

xOJakeXo and boombazookajoe like this.
  6. I stan.

7. California is one of the highlights from side b imo. It's my instant fav

boombazookajoe likes this.
  8. Okay I’ve listened a few more times and I’m starting to take back what I said.

9. How long is it until the Japanese physical is released? Just wondering when we'll hear Always On My Mind.

10. omg SOLO haha ..sorry but this album is so good.. who would have thought ? I like it more than Dedicated after 2 listens

Memoria and Music Is Life like this.
  11. RJF

RJF

Sis... this post is a mess. I can guarantee you the vast majority of people on this forum are not of an age where Emotion could be that kind of an album to them, so to put it down to nostalgia and people being emotionally attached (?!?!) is a muscle-pulling reach. Emotion was a proper level up from the previous album that seemed to announce her songcraft well and truly crystallising. She made classic, traditional pop songs and she made them incredibly well.

Personally, my problem has been is that she found this niche and... started building a house on it. I feel like a lot of songs after Emotion are kind of redundant because she already perfected the formula on that album and then... continued to use it. Now, some of y'all will happily gobble up four back-to-back albums of the same thing, and that's fine. I couldn't do it, but it's fine. It's also fine for her to make... lateral creative moves at best, which is what she does in my opinion. She's good at what she does, and working this way also kind of lets her not fuck up because she knows her strengths, but it also kind of makes her unexciting to follow because she isn't discovering new strengths and keeps serving something that I already bought from her.

But then I'm not entirely sure Carly thinks about her career nearly as deeply as we do, and that's fine too. She writes fifty pop songs a month and when someone starts bugging her for an album she sifts through her drafts, finds twelve of the best, and doesn't think about it any further than that. And that's fine. I like this album. I liked the last album, but I'm really not coming back to much of it.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled, "She doesn't have a song that isn't 10.5/10!!!" programming.

12. June 17?

Nephilim and Music Is Life like this.
  13. Ohhhh. Okay. That's long enough that I'll end up forgetting (ddd probably not) and have a nice surprise when it pops up online.

Thu Ra Aung Kyaw likes this.
  14. At least that's what is said on cdjapan. It'd be amazing if it's with an alternative cover

Music Is Life likes this.
  15. Oooo what if it was that wall-paper animation?

Thu Ra Aung Kyaw likes this.
  16. So people heard Summer Love and went 'nope, not good for album release let's shelve this'.
    Yikes. It's CRJ top 5 for me.

17. @RJF summed it up perfectly. It’s a nice record, just not a very memorable one. As much as I liked Dedicated upon the first listen I couldn’t remember much of it afterwards and I don’t think I have listened to it at all since it’s release week. Carly has gone safe and while it’s pleasant and reliable it just doesn’t excite me enough to keep me listening to more than a handful of her songs repeated times.

Personally there are a few standout tracks though. ‘The Comeback’ is beautiful with its simultaneous melancholy and empowerment, ‘Summer Love’ is another favorite and the “underwater scenario in a video game”-production of ‘Now I Don’t Hate California After All’ is refreshing and brings something new to the table.

RainOnFire and Thu Ra Aung Kyaw like this.
  18. Wishful thinking lol they haven't put up an cover for it so there's still hope

Music Is Life likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.