Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B | Page 538 | The Popjustice Forum

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by pop3blow2, Jun 3, 2016.

1. I'm the *Queen* of Wishful Thinking.

Thu Ra Aung Kyaw likes this.
  2. Listened to this for the first time in ages. Still amazing bop.

3. A CLASSIC.

BeingNormal, Jacques, -M- and 2 others like this.
  4. I do agree, and in fact I've never seen you in particular pull the "this isn't as good as Emotion" card and always brought valid criticism. My post is about those whose only reason not to enjoy her new stuff because "it isn't euphoric bubblegum pop anymore" which doesn't seem to be your personal issue with it. At least you had more to say about my post than call me condescending and get away on a white horse

Music Is Life likes this.
  5. I wish this was as excellent as the cast offs from Emotion. I’ll take This Is What They Say and Fake Mona Lisa and run.

6. Wow, Comeback is phenomenal.

Memoria, lushLuck, Lego and 3 others like this.
  7. There's a good handful of tracks here that sound like indie pop bands from the late noughties and I'm SHOOK.

It's the percussion led production.

New Young Carly Club snapped!

8. (The other half of the album is Curiosity throwbacks and I ain't mad.)

-M-, lushLuck, Poker Pro and 3 others like this.
  9. You when you get it three days from now: "Now I don't hate Now I Don't Hate California After All after all."

10. The girls listening to Dedicated side A: I'm gay blahblahblah where da bops tho

Carla adding 'Solo' to side B:

[​IMG]

11. Perfect gif use.

Andrew.L likes this.
  12. I don't think I'll ever get what makes Side B apparently more appealing to some of you than Side A. They are on pretty equal footing to my ears.*

*Top-shelf gold star footing

13. Same. I'm obsessed with both.

14. To me it's:

E•MO•TION>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> E•MO•TION Side B >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dedicated > Dedicated Side B

Conan and letuinmybackdoor like this.
  15. For me, it goes Emotion Side B > Emotion > Dedicated Side B > Dedicated.

I done Metacritic scores for myself for each and from Emotion Side B to Dedicated, there's only a difference of 7 points.

Andrew.L likes this.
  16. What's strange about the "All her songs sound the same!" argument is that it's just...not true. Thematically and lyrically, Carly doesn't cover much ground which perhaps makes most songs feel too similar. But both sides of Dedicated show growth, including lyrically. If some people are hearing these new songs as Curiosity castoffs, some think they're not as good as Emotion, some think they're better than Side A, then surely that's an indicator that she's changing her sound enough to warrant the diverse reactions. What does Summer Love sound like from the other albums? Comeback? California? Everything He Needs? Julien?

I get the feeling that part of this response, which now happens every time she releases anything, is people being annoyed with the over adoration. As someone who's been around since Kiss and watched Carly Rae Jepsen the meme queen overshadow the pop songwriter, I was also fatigued with the Carly Slay! Give her a sword! stuff. It's fun to a point but then it's exhausting. Not every song is a 10 and I depend on this place to discern quality. That's why it's frustrating to see songs or entire albums written off. I wish people were hearing what some of us are hearing, is all! But *shrug* we all grow out of artists.

17. Oops, I love the first extra look.

18. There is not a single dud on Dedicated and Dedicated Side B. The same for Emotion.

tj-x, lushLuck and Music Is Life like this.
  19. Summer Love just might be end up in my top 5 for her, I’m obsessed.

20. The expectation of some that Carly covers new ground in her music stems from what we're used to with pop girls. They are expected by some to keep showing new sides to the public, otherwise she'll be criticized for doing more of the same, like Lana was for years. Keeping the same lane is considered "lateral" change and frowned upon, differently from what happens to the so called "alternative" acts, who are not expected to create a completely different sound every album. This also has to do with how pop music is seen, like a lesser, transitional kind of music that girls have to do until until they find their footing in folk/rock/r&b/electronic music.

The whole Carly phenomenon is a rejection of all of this. I wouldn't expect anytime a transition like that of Charli in 2015. She's already made a true disco album before Dedicated, a folk album before Emotion and has reportedly considered an entire pc music album, but didn't go through with any of this. And, honestly, I think it'd be crazy to say that there's no change to be seen from Kiss to Dedicated, or that there's no range between songs like No Drug Like Me, Run Away With Me, Warm Blood and Heartbeat.

What's interesting though, is that I've seen Carly being criticized more from changing too much from Emotion than from changing too little. Especially from the section of her fandom to which Cut to the Feeling is one of her best songs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.