Carrie Underwood - My Gift (September 25th) | The Popjustice Forum

Carrie Underwood - My Gift (September 25th)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Disco Tears, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Well. 2020 keeps throwing curveballs. The latest is Carrie Underwood announcing her Christmas album in July. Talk about weird.

[​IMG]

2. "I realize we’re in the middle of a summer heatwave"

Christ. Also that set is a complete mess nn

3. Did she get lost in the Santa Village at the mall?

Staticboombox likes this.
  4. No vinyl? Weird. Any tracklisting?

5. The earliest a Christmas album should come out is the very end of October.

Ideally they wouldn't come out at all, but still.

6. They said the vinyl will be available to pre-order later.

If she gives us an Underneath The Tree, @ me. Until then, I'm good without hearing Carrie's Away in a Manger.

Espeon and MC54 like this.
  7. I never wanted this in place of a proper album but I really do think it’s just a cute side project thing to tide us over until she has a new album late next year.
    I’m sure it’ll be vocally great! Pretty sure it’ll be faith heavy, which is fine I guess. She seems quite genuine about it, and I can get behind the overall meaning of most faith based christmas songs. Just hope we get a mostly original set of songs and no repeats from the Christmas EP she put out around the time of Carnival Ride.

The cover is pretty! She mentions Little Drummer Boy being on the albums, ugh, hate that song.

8. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I don't think there was any need to announce the album this early. Sis, it's July. I know there's a limited amount of time to promote/sell a Christmas album, but still. It's not a traditional album campaign, she could've just announced it at the beginning of September.

Also, why does the cover look like she was photoshopped onto that background? It was an actual set according to the video, so why does it look so flat?

9. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

"We LOCKED Greg Wells IN as a producer early on."

The choice of words while dancing around discussing recording during the pandemic.

aux likes this.
  10. That cover.... is a choice. Very "meet Santa at the mall" stock photography.

Pineapple and johnny_tsunami like this.
  11. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

She announced it this early so country radio will start playing it in December of 2021.

12. I just can't get over how bad the execution of the cover is. The fake ass plastic trees, the foam on the ground, the plain grey background, the fact that under that dress she's probably standing on a pedestal and five Carries would fit under the huge skirt. It looks like the two worst artworks from my fave mixed together nn

13. She made her most pop-radio friendly album and didn't release any of the pop songs as singles. She starts aggressively promoting a Christmas album in the middle of July... Carrie sis, what's going on?

An Insider and Pineapple like this.
  14. I love her, and I know a lot of her songs are quite faith oriented, but I just can't stand the thought of a Christmas album dedicated to Jesus.

Verandi likes this.
  15. I'm not particularly hesitant about the Jesus bops.

Lest we forget that Something in the Water is one of her best songs ever.

16. I think it's just the way she talks about it in that video. The whole 'singing is my gift and I can now give something back to Jesus' thing just makes me cringe being a non-religious London boy.

17. I don’t know what possessed me to watch her mini-docu series with her husband, but I would’ve never thought that Carrie was so religious. The whole God talk is a bit too much for me too.

I also wonder if Capitol is the right label for her or if she’s having issues? Cry Pretty had some very good tracks for singles, but ended up getting shafted for boring ballads.

18. Okay. She can have this. Just please give us a real album next year.
    I don't mind religious topics too much in music, and especially from Carrie - I will forever love Jesus, Take The Wheel and Something In The Water - but I'm hoping there isn't too much of that on here, and it at least has a couple of original songs that are bops.
    Wonder if she'll top Aly & AJ's version of Little Drummer Boy

unnameable and Cristian Sanchez like this.
  19. This year is a fucking disaster so sure, why not? Hope Hallmark has their 6 Months of Christmas lineup ready.

20. This is the tracklist apparently

01. "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee" [3:56]
    02. "O Come All Ye Faithful" [3:14]
    03. "Let There Be Peace" [3:59]
    04. "Little Drummer Boy" (feat. Isaiah Fisher) [2:56]
    05. "Sweet Baby Jesus" [4:30]
    06. "Hallelujah" (feat. John Legend) [4:35]
    07. "O Holy Night" [4:41]
    08. "Mary, Did You Know?" [3:26]
    09. "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" [3:50]
    10. "Away In A Manger" [2:41]
    11. "Silent Night" [3:31]

Tracks 3, 5 and 6 are originals apparently.

If the originals are cute, I'll stream those but... It's a little too Jesus-y for my liking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.