CDjustice | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

CDjustice

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Dennis, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Don't you ever struggle when you bought a (second hand) CD online and it arrives and you can't possibly tell if the tray it's coming with is the actual one that belongs to it?

ModeRed and Deleted member 33299 like this.
  2. *Drool*

poshbabyyy and Eric Generic like this.
  3. I (nearly) always replace the case and tray for 2nd hand stuff that comes in the post. I'll use something from the correct era.

4. As EG said some things are fairly obvious - a clear tray on a 1993-1994ish CD is likely to originally be slightly frosted; a Warner album is likely to have the W logo on the front. Those are the more obvious ones. Some grey trays and the prongs that hold the disc in can just look wrong and too modern for an older CD. American jewel cases (in my experience) usually have the longer bars that hold the booklet in, whereas older UK/European ones will likely be the smaller raised round bumps. I sometimes have to check online to see how an example should look.

poshbabyyy, ModeRed, Mvnl and 2 others like this.
  5. I use to found lovely and nostalgic when they still have Our Price, Virgin, HMV or any dissapeared record store sticker price in the case!

Angeleyes, ModeRed, Mvnl and 2 others like this.
  6. I think the W logo on the front only started in 1992, but I do sometimes put a late 80s or 1990/91 Warners disc in one of those.

Clear trays were frosted in 1993, then partially frosted by 1995/96, and completely clear by the end of the 90s.

CDMCLP, Mvnl and lob0to like this.
  7. I tend to keep them on now if I buy something with the sticker left intact. Same with hype stickers. To think I used to freely chuck/replace those!

8. Evolution of the clear plastic CD tray!

[​IMG]
    Top to bottom...1993 to 1997 (ish).

9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Cases breaking with a hype sticker being on the front and having to choose between the sticker or a new case are a bit pet peeve here. (Though quite often I get the sticker of and put it on the inside of the book or tray)

10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I don’t think I even know the top kind? But then I’m very much a late 90s/00s guy

11. The top style was on original releases by The The (Dusk), Bowie (Black Tie), Jamiroquai (Emergency) and a few others (Jesus Jones, Sunscreem). All from 1993. I loved those.

burntoutcar and CDMCLP like this.
  12. It's basically the same style as a traditional grey tray - rough surface, ribbed outer bit which shows on the front when closed, only see through! The later, better known ones are completely clear and untextured/smooth.

Mvnl and Eric Generic like this.
  13. Moden cases and trays are so...

CDMCLP and lob0to like this.
  14. Argh I hate the ‘hype/cd part 2’ sticker dilemma. Just received a cd and the hype sticker has a coffee(?) stain - but if I swap the cd case then it’s gone completely… sure I should have more serious problems to deal with than this

15. Ugh, this is so true. I have this really nice Diana Ross collection with beautiful sticker and the case is broken. I still can't decide what to do and it's been decades...

CDMCLP, Eric Generic, lob0to and 2 others like this.
  16. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I even have a signed case (I handed Cheryl Cole the case with the booklet on it so she had something hard underneath to write on and she ended up signing the case as well) where the part where the front connects to the back is broken but yeah... Getting rid of that box feels very off too

poshbabyyy, Jacques, ModeRed and 2 others like this.
  17. Those hype stickers are often removable. You need to warm it up a bit (I usually use a kettle and get the steam to hit the case on the other side of the sticker, but probably hair dryer works as well). Then use a pin to get underneath the sticker, and very carefully lift it off. Sometimes you can just paste it immediately onto a new case without needing more glue.

P/S - you might want to try practice with a non-valuable CD first.

poshbabyyy, Vasilios, lob0to and 2 others like this.
  18. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Anyone got any experiences with shipping without the case?
    I guess if 9 times out of 10 the case isn't in the best shape anyway it makes sense but I'm not sure what it does to the discs & booklets in mail (apart from being far cheaper!)

ModeRed and Eric Generic like this.
  19. Or you have replacements available or all you're going to save on shipping without the case is the same your going to spend to buy a new case. Well, depends of your shipping rates...

Mvnl likes this.
  20. Yes, only really works without cases if you have enough spare ones ready to put the CDs and inlays into.

Had quite a few sent to me that way, and they've been fine. It's the packaging which is the key thing. Rubbish packaging will damage most things.

ModeRed and Deleted member 33299 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.