CDjustice | Page 37 | The Popjustice Forum

CDjustice

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Dennis, Sep 16, 2020.

1. I do this very often. They are usually very well packaged with cardboard/padding and it saves me a big chunk of change.

I had never heard of Momox before so think I'll spend the night browsing.

2. Looking on google, you could try some baking soda...

"Create a baking soda paste and apply it to the yellowed plastic. Mix water and baking soda in a cup or similar container until the solution forms a paste, then apply it to the plastic and let it sit for several hours. Scrub the paste off with a sponge or rag, then rinse well."

I might try this on one of mine, just for the hell of it. It does annoy me when so many white trays get discoloured.

ModeRed, Txetxu and CDMCLP like this.
  3. I can’t sleep and I’m reading this and chuckling. I’ll return soon with my proper thoughts, but I’ve recently bought three copies of Pet Shop Boys’ Very to get a pristine copy of the orange ‘Lego’ case. Inner tray prongs were damaged on a couple, rear track listing sticker was missing from the other.

4. You could try a magic eraser to get the case white?

Blaahh likes this.
  5. A hydrogen peroxide bath (liquid or paste) and UV light should work. Though it's probably not worth the cost and effort for one case, unless you're a hair stylist. Look on Youtube for DIY Retrobright.

Eric Generic and ModeRed like this.
  6. Yes it’s been making me grin too - it makes me feel better being amongst fellow cd case enthusiasts!

7. You used to be able to buy trays of all colours...red, blue, white, even green I think. Just in supermarkets or places like Maplins (RIP). Progress eh.

8. I haven't had any issues with CDs posted without jewel cases. It does save on postage and as I have about 1,000 albums in wallets, there's plenty of spare cases in my house.

There's nothing worse than getting a CD through the post and the jewel case is cracked or the inner tray is missing teeth because of poor packaging. A piece of bubblewrap over the teeth will protect this but plenty sellers don't bother.

Also annoying is a broken fatbox (the part that holds the jewel cases) as these are not easily replaced.

Good experiences with Momox and the similarly-named Dodax - no issues.

Use Music Magpie less often nowadays - can be hit and miss - but are fine for new stuff.

CDMCLP, Mvnl and Eric Generic like this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Is Dodax used as well? I don't get that clearly from their site

10. Considering buying a pack of 10 orange inserts off ebay because the teeth are damaged on my copy of Very but then they'll probably be the wrong shade

Angeleyes, Eric Generic and ModeRed like this.
  11. I use them a lot from eBay. Mostly because they do free shipping to Ireland. But it takes an age to get here from Switzerland. A surprising amount of CDs they’ve sent me have gotten lost in the post but they’ve no issue sending replacements and they always say to keep the original CD if it shows up eventually. Because this happened so frequently I began to wonder if they ever sent the CD in the first place. They’ve also sent me CDs marked as new but they were clearly used. Again they sent replacements. One CD marked as new showed up with the wrong CD inside the case. But overall I’ve found their new CDs to be a higher standard than music magpie and nagiry.

Txetxu, Eric Generic and Mvnl like this.
  12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

This... mainly sounds like another post convincing me not to use music magpie

13. When exchanging trays take the opportunity to look at Very's secret, hidden artwork. When I bought the album in 1994 I used to fairly regularly take out the tray to have a peek - but I wouldn't dare now for fear of breaking the unique case of a CD I've had for 28 years!

ModeRed, lob0to, dangeleyes and 2 others like this.
  14. This just reminded me of how mp3s were touted as the better format… in the name of progress. Upgrades that are actually, literally downgrades. These snake oil merchants… I shall forever mourn the loss of proper maxi cd singles where each release was like an EP. Nonsensical chart rules that hurt consumers… regressive progress.

15. So I think the first clear CD inlay tray I ever had was Stakka Bo’s excellent Supermarket album (you’ll have heard Here We Go).

Of course, Automatic For The People pre-dated that and came out in 1992 with that gorgeous yellow inlay, which was so startling as it was quite obviously part of the design of the package – something certainly I’d never seen before.

And things then came thick and fast, which coincided with the beginnings of my collecting. Very blew my mind in 1993. I was thrilled at Jam & Spoon releasing Tripomatic Fairytales 2001 and 2002 with a clear and a frosted tray respectively in 1994; another seemingly conscious design aesthetic. The first Deep Forest album was a gift for my 18th birthday from my little sister, and was my first white tray; Kylie Minogue followed soon after. And Take That put a subtle spin on the inlay tray in 1995 by making it glossy for Nobody Else – I wonder how many people noticed that?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Vasilios, CDMCLP and Eric Generic like this.
  16. I don’t know why but I always preferred the clear jewel cases, with artwork on the inlay, the black tray just always looked so cheap to me.

Overdose, Mr Brightside, Mvnl and 5 others like this.
  17. I will be going on holiday soon and so decided I'll bring my CD player on the trip, instead of using Spotify on my phone and draining the battery on it.

Got some CDs on order to take with my CD pouch. It is going to be great to listen to CDs again.

If you're curious to the CDs that I will be bringing...

Ava Max - Heaven and Hell
    Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR
    Natalie Imbruglia - Firebird
    The Wanted - Most Wanted
    Taylor Swift - Red (Taylor's Version)
    Madonna - Celebration
    Kylie - Step Back In Time
    Britney - The Singles Collection

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    Mvnl, dangeleyes, tylerc and 5 others like this.
  18. If I’m on a trip and it’ll be CDs only in the car then I always need one ‘various artists’ compilation to mix it up a bit

Mvnl and blaze_dave like this.
  19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

How harsh are you guys with your online orders?
    Just received an amazon order and the inside tray of one cd is broken and the deluxe of One Touch has a subtle scratch on the back. It's not 'I want my money back'!! Territory, but definitely 'I'd look for another copy if I got in a store'. And then another new order got 2 dents in the booklet where those small pins are which seems kinda unavoidable (especially with a really tin booklet) but also.. 'I just got this, I expect better?'

(Mind, I got my amazon order for 50% with giftcards from previous digipacks that arrived damaged so I lowkey feel like 'I can't keep complaining with every order... but fix your packaging??')

20. Momox has gone downhill over the last year. If there are no problems, then they are still great, if there is... their customer service is completely useless. Musicmagpie quality is always hit and miss but they are happy to refund in total if not happy and below 4 quid.

Eric Generic likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.