CDjustice

Mvnl

Staff member
I'm assuming it's based on some automatic pricing algorithm which looks at the prices elsewhere online and adjusts up or down depending on that.
It can be really all over the place. I've seen huge jumps. Like I think at some point TheAudience album suddenly was like 30 euros (and I thought 'this must be the Murder revival effect') but then days later it was back to like five euros or something.
Currently there's a japan only release that I've promised myself I'll get once it drops below 20 euros, but obviously since it's only been climbing.

It can be really all over the place. I've seen huge jumps. Like I think at some point TheAudience album suddenly was like 30 euros (and I thought 'this must be the Murder revival effect') but then days later it was back to like five euros or something.
Currently there's a japan only release that I've promised myself I'll get once it drops below 20 euros, but obviously since it's only been climbing.
It may be driven by the number of visits the item gets - every time you go check it probably counts as more interest and bumps the price?

Ignore it and you may get an emailed discount!

Mvnl

Staff member
Do you have a technique for checking if scuffs and scratches affect a CD's playback?
Just got one from WOB that has a lot of minor ones, but still they're all over it.
Obviously I can play it but that will just confirm it plays fine on the one player. I don't wanna complain too much (though they often send a new copy if I do) since it was quite cheap and not sold as 'like new' but.. well I'm more used to artwork/boxes being in a shoddy state than this.

Do you have a technique for checking if scuffs and scratches affect a CD's playback?
Just got one from WOB that has a lot of minor ones, but still they're all over it.
Obviously I can play it but that will just confirm it plays fine on the one player. I don't wanna complain too much (though they often send a new copy if I do) since it was quite cheap and not sold as 'like new' but.. well I'm more used to artwork/boxes being in a shoddy state than this.

I always run any 2nd hand purchases or new discs with visual marks (ie the NOW Yearbooks, boxsets etc) through my dbpoweramp ripping software. It detects any issues...some might only be very minor but it helps flag up discs that will have trouble playing. If I encounter too many problems (or the disc actually fails to rip successfully), I either junk it (used purchase) or return for another copy (new from amazon, HMV etc).

I am completing a few CD collections at the moment and I’m a bit fussy that they include hype stickers.

I haven’t bought from Amazon in a good few years. I had been buying from them directly (their stock that is sold by Amazon as I wanted new un used stock) I was getting some in perfect condition hype stickers intact like they were picked off the shelf for the first time and then some without and looked like they were not in their original case.

So I am wondering where they get their stock from? I would have expected them to be the most reliable with receiving a mint copy with stickers but maybe I’m wrong?

I think WOB have gone massively downhill this year, though they tend to send you other wants in replacement. However the last order of all Very Good - Grace Jones Bulletproof Heart (water damage, rips), Tin Men dvd (huge scratches) and Psychedelic Furs World Outside (meh) is shocking, they haven’t answered a website complaint and I’ve just had to do Watson the Chatbot…

Mvnl

Staff member
I think WOB have gone massively downhill this year, though they tend to send you other wants in replacement. However the last order of all Very Good - Grace Jones Bulletproof Heart (water damage, rips), Tin Men dvd (huge scratches) and Psychedelic Furs World Outside (meh) is shocking, they haven’t answered a website complaint and I’ve just had to do Watson the Chatbot…
I just read in their description ‘very good’ means a case has no scuffs or cracks either and that made me laugh, cause I don’t think I received one case that was in good shape

WOB's last two orders sent to me were appalling. I returned both. Must stick to my intention never to use them again, even if they have something I'm really wanting.

I just read in their description ‘very good’ means a case has no scuffs or cracks either and that made me laugh, cause I don’t think I received one case that was in good shape
I’ve had that on Discogs too where a case described as ‘mint’ looks anything but and ‘very good’ was in pristine condition. So now I tend to ask for a picture before I buy but feel like a pain doing that lol.

WOB's last two orders sent to me were appalling. I returned both. Must stick to my intention never to use them again, even if they have something I'm really wanting.
I got a Target CD of Dream Into Action from them this week, everything was filthy. Once I'd cleaned everything, it was just about a fiver well spent.

Is WOB World of Books? They are notorious in book-collecting circles for using stock images of covers, so you never know which edition of a book you'll get until it arrives, with a 50/50 chance of it matching the advertised quality. The good news is they have a decent reputation for sending replacements or refunding.

I reached a new low plateau with the normally ok MusicMagpie today.

Last February, they had a US cd copy on eBay of the Sinful album by Pete Wylie. However it was a Nimbus pressing and a bit sticky, @Eric Generic I’m sure reported this a while back. Unfortunately it skipped so I tried to gently clean the disc but as can happen it removed most of the cd title label. It still skipped. As it was over £5, MusicMagpie demand you return it and so I did. Note, if it’s under a fiver, they refund immediately and let you keep it on eBay…

Anyway, it’s now April and they had another copy listed which I snapped up. It arrived today and it’s the same copy I returned as faulty in February!

Of course their Leo chatbot/AI/algorithm wants the cd returned despite my ranting that they should have binned it last month. Grrrr.

Last edited:

Mvnl

Staff member
God, that's bad!
I've actually been quite lucky thusfar with my musicmagpie purchases thusfar even though I keep hearing the worst things here. 2 or 3 cases thusfar of albums that are really hard to find (for a reasonable price) on Discogs, each time I worried if it would be too good to be true (all set to blame myself for believing..) but each time fine thusfar.

God, that's bad!
I've actually been quite lucky thusfar with my musicmagpie purchases thusfar even though I keep hearing the worst things here. 2 or 3 cases thusfar of albums that are really hard to find (for a reasonable price) on Discogs, each time I worried if it would be too good to be true (all set to blame myself for believing..) but each time fine thusfar.
Yes, they are generally very good, by far the best to be honest. I’ve lost count of how many I’ve bought over the years.