Charli XCX - Brat

he/him
HIFN and Crash feel like Charli fully stepping into her powers on both ends of the spectrum. They're more refined than their sister projects, Sucker and Pop 2. Like when she spoke about creating "worlds" for her albums in that one subway TikTok interview, those are what come to mind.

she/they
I'm still a Pop 2, how I'm feeling now, and True Romance are her top 3 truther.

I'll always give True Romance her tens because how the fuck do you come out the gates swinging like that?! And for much of her sound to be indebted to the sonic exploration she did on "You (Ha Ha Ha)," "Take My Hand," and "What I Like"... She knew who she was from the moment she arrived.

My only wish (and very minor gripe) for CRASH was that she had leaned into the new jack-swing a bit more like she did with the title track / “New Shapes”; it’s a sound that really worked with her voice. The Janet anecdote was both a blessing and a curse in hindsight nn.

My only wish (and very minor gripe) for CRASH was that she had leaned into the new jack-swing a bit more like she did with the title track / “New Shapes”; it’s a sound that really worked with her voice. The Janet anecdote was both a blessing and a curse in hindsight nn.
I also wanted more of that city pop vibe that the title track is. Pretty addictive.

he/him
I'm a day 1 Angel and I can confidently say that Brat is already her most exciting era so far. Everything is aligning perfectly and I love to see/hear it.

Feels like the album she’s been trying to make since XCX World. Pulled up another interview from 2017 where she says this:

And what inspired the clubbier concept behind this album?
On my previous record, I was really annoyed at the music industry and felt like I had something to prove. After that, I didn’t feel I had anything to prove anymore. Also one of my favorite hobbies is partying, and I realized that I never actually made a party album. I never made an album that I would want to hear at a club. It was very indulgent in that sense because I just wanted to make an album that I could get fucked up to. It’s the soundtrack to my nights.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...aking-album-she-could-get-f-ked-up-to-111132/

It's not criticism that bothers me as much as the over-the-top "CRASH gave me tinnitus and burned my crops and delivered a plague upon my house because it was so bad" type posts. Like, there are elements of it that could have certainly been improved or expanded upon but be so for fuckin real
Funny, cause all of the fervent “CRASH is a GREAT pop album!!! If you don’t agree you’re fucking DUMB and WRONG!!!” posts sound just as over-the-top to me. We are allowed to like different things!

Twice makes me cry every time I listen to it. CRASH is a triumph in showing Charli's ability to be a main pop girlie and the fact that she doesn't want to be one in a conventional way. It skyrocketed her stage presence and overall confidence. Without it, Brat wouldn't even be as exciting as it is.

Everyone knows I'm not a fan of Crash, but that's just because there's nothing interesting about the music to me. Every other Charli album has something slightly peculiar and fascinating about it. Crash lacks that (outside of the arguably unrelated yet inspired artwork/aesthetic). It's Charli playing it safe, which works for a lot of people, but not for me. I have zero interest in songs like Beg For You or Used to Know Me. They're giving Ava Max/Bebe Rexha levels of phoned-in-whatever and it's just... not what I go to Charli XCX for.

That said, my favorite song is Every Rule, which is the lowest streamed on the album and people find it boring, so maybe the album just isn't for me. I'm happy others like it? I'm just thankful we're moving on to a much more exciting album.