Charli XCX - Brat

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
After waiting AGES for XCX World, Number 1 Angel was my first deep dive into Charli. It is such a great entry point - perfectly crafted, fun, and just enough tinges of experimentation. She eclipsed it with Pop 2 (effortlessly) but you can clearly see why its predecessor was so powerful for new listeners, especially after Sucker. People are spoiled to have it as their first connecting point in the XCX journey.

Pop 2
How I'm Feeling Now
CRASH
Charli
Number 1 Angel
Vroom Vroom
True Romance
Sucker

This changes depending on my mood but the top 2 is locked. She legit has 0 bad projects to me. An incredible discography.

Hmmm

Number 1 Angel
True Romance
Crash
Pop2
How I’m feeling Now
Sucker
Vroom Vroom
XCX World
Charli

I’d say my top4 is interchangeable, but they are the albums I listened the most. How I’m Feeling Now feels like its own thing and, even thought I can’t think of a single song I DISLIKE, it also feels like a hard listening to go through.

Sucker being ahead of Vroom Vroom is probably peak controversy but I can say that Vroom Vroom only works for the title track + Secret for me. I don’t really care for the other 2 songs and it was kinda of a time when I checked out a little. It was basically a droplet. Now, if it was expanded as a full album with tracks like Round n Round… that would change things.

Sucker has diabolical lows but great great highs that are buried on the tracklist (and sessions, since some aren’t actively released but teased/performed/leaked and they show how great the album could be): Need Ur Luv, Golden Coins, Mown That Lawn, Caught In The Middle, Body Of My Own and its Mortal Kombat glory, I Don’t Mind and even the title track as a direct response to DrLuke.

Charli isn’t something that grabbed my attention at all. It felt like a playlist of singles and some other filler-ish songs. The overload of collabs with some feeling pretty underwhelming… doesn’t help.

XCX World is nice but kinda suffers the same. I do think there are some greater highs on the project (rip Come To My Party & Waterfall) but… I strangely don’t miss it being released since the Mixtapes were God sent. Maybe if everything that was “leaked and planned” really happened, it would be her best, but the songs themselves are cute at best and the endless material kinda hints that things weren’t super clear. I enjoy the draft track list we have, but God knows how that album would have been shaped 1 year later.