Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling Now | Page 68 | The Popjustice Forum

Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling Now

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Hyrulian, Mar 17, 2020.

1. I wish it had that extra verse, so we could hear the vocal production progress even more, but I still love it.

2. I like this way better than Claws and a tiny bit more than Forever. A win.

3. High energy I like it!

4. I'm getting Frou Frou vibes and I love it.

5. I really hope this is the last song she releases before the full album release. While I am absolutely living for all the releases so far, this is my least favorite of the three, but I know it will slot really well into the album. I know people may disagree, call me old, but songs 2:30 and under are not songs, they are interludes. Yes, they can get their point across, and when you do a full album listen through with songs that blend and bleed into each other, it isn't major, but to release one off tracks that are that short just ... annoy me. That's why forever was such a pleasant surprise and such a moment, and claws and i finally understand have been cute little sisters.

6. Babycakes vibes. I really, really like this.

Bslg17, Crisp X and evilsin like this.
  7. I like the ideas floating around in this one, but they’re just that. Floating around. I would’ve liked the extra verse, the second verse she kept is literally only 6 bars long.

The production IS incredible though, that’s the best part for me.

burzacott likes this.
  8. I keep seeing this around here lately and I don't get it?

This is the exact same length as i finally understand and it has several verses and a chorus, and is a complete song. I don't think it's a hard-and-fast rule that anything under three minutes is definitely An Interlude.

9. I only skipped through to have more meat on the bones for the album release, but I adore what I heard so far.

10. Hmmm. This one's not clicking for me unfortunately. I think I need to give it a few more listens.

collxtion likes this.
  11. When I was growing up I used to subsist entirely off of iTunes gift cards. I bought all my music legally but was never allowed to use the credit card on the account, so I would add 50 songs to my wishlist and then wait for a birthday or Christmas to spend it all.

And invariably, I started to favor longer songs on the basis that I was getting more music for my money. If I could spend $1.29 on a song that was 3:04 or a song that was 3:47, wasn’t I getting a better deal if I bought the latter song? It really strongly shaped my conception of what was satisfying.

But now it’s the streaming era and that particular metric is useless now. We can listen to as much music as we want, on demand, so I’ve stopped caring about song length as long as the song still delivers a satisfying experience. Short songs have their place!

12. I can't believe we're getting the album in a week and it genuinely feels like there's so much of it we haven't heard despite there being only 10 (or 11?) songs.

nooniebao, superultra and dewzero like this.
  13. Calm down Björk

14. It was a general statement. Of course there are plenty of songs that I love and adore that are under 3 minutes (even under 2:30), but it is a more general statement about the trend that has gotten worse and worse over the last few years where the majority of songs are floating around that time to accommodate streaming numbers and the general lack of attention span amongst listeners. Where are the intros? Where are the bridges? Where is the room to breathe?! But I grew up in the 90s listening to R&B where the majority of songs clocked in at over 4 minutes and the more radio leaning songs all hovered around 3:15, so now when nearly everything is clocking in under 3 minutes, it's just discouraging. Maybe I'm salty because I just read a review of Kehlani's new album that said all the songs hover at just over two minutes and I'm in my feelings about it. It's just ~how i'm feeling now~

Glitterizer likes this.

15. I mean this song does everything it is supposed to do in 2:15 minutes and all the better for it. It also makes it extremely repeatable.

constantino, Rem, nooniebao and 12 others like this.
  16. Okay, this one’s not it for me. Claws on the other hand is really catchy and I love it even more after the cute video she made for it.

17. And she's been playing new snippets and demos on IG live or The Candy Shop every day too. Maybe I'm biased but I haven't been overwhelmed by the onslaught of updates at all.

Andy French likes this.
  18. See, I completely disagree. That song is absolutely fire and Doja kills it. Sure, it’s insanely repeatable, and it would be just as so with a fire final verse or a cool bridge. It feels Unfinished (to me) as is. I won’t hammer this to death, I know people disagree. TL;DR I love Charli’s new songs I just wish music were longer.

Dreampopboy and eatyourself like this.
  19. I love 'i finally understand' so much. It's different, it's fresh, and it slaps. It's very 90's garage band, reminds me even of Sucker a bit.

Ghetto Boy, c_0_r_3_y and Mr Blonde like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.