Charli XCX - Sucker (2nd Studio Album) | Page 236 | The Popjustice Forum

Charli XCX - Sucker (2nd Studio Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by ElectricHearts, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Try as I might, I can't warm to the PC Music tracks I've heard at all - it's all a bit too trying-to-be-clever-and-ironic for what is basically just cold, tuneless electropop that outstays its welcome within the first minute.

But Charli actually has the ability to create fully formed songs, so I'm confident that they're making something special together (if "Girls' Night Out" is any indication - I'm holding off from listening to the other leaks/live recordings). The proposition of her songwriting combined with PC Music's production is totally fine with me.

2. Have you heard the LIZ track? It's personally my only glimmer of hope that some actual songs might come out of this.

3. To be fair, there are as many tuneless PC Music tracks as there are tuneful ones. Dig in.

4. Wow huge thanks for this explaining! I wonder how long we have to wait for this 3rd album actually. "Sucker" took so long you know.

Dr. Luke - is that the one who produced Marina's bubblegum second album?

5. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

I think she is so dreadful.

6. I wonder how touring and fame is treating her.

Saw her last night, she had vocal problems that really weren't noticeable (the crowd was hyped). She kept bringing attention to her sore throat by apologizing after every song. I felt for her, but it was kind of off-putting. Like she was crying during and in-between songs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not shaming her for having a sore throat. It happens. But she should've just cancelled or something. She just seemed so broken up about it I felt bad for her. Slow down, Charli. Her unhappiness was palpable. I just hope it doesn't go deeper than feeling bad about vocal issues.

7. She did the exact same using to us in Manchester earlier in the year...
    She sounded pretty great, but kept complaining about throat problems, when really, she did a lot more live (ie all of it) than many I've seen when they have their "full" voices.

8. Only Primadonna, Lies and How to Be a Heartbreaker.

9. Neat.

blissteria likes this.
  10. There's a new track floating around called X-Ray Specs. The title suggests Sucker leftover, but I'm not quite sure. It's a cute electropop song which sounds like a Kesha demo circa 2010. It's nice.

11. She's making the right decision. The tour was wiping her out completely. That recent outburst was very unusual for her.

Mvnl and Andy French like this.
  12. Edu

Edu

It's funny how she wanted to be a popstar so bad and now that she is one (well, kind of) she can't handle it. Girl wasn't prepared for a mainstream career at all and she was already showing signs of it. I hope she's okay.

Go back to the studio and give me that True Romance 2.0 that I love, Charli.
    And with no PC Music on it, please. Thank you.

swim likes this.
  13. Poor her. I do always wonder how she finds the time to do everything - perform, promote, record, etc. ... I guess this comes at the expense of one's emotional wellbeing. I had a feeling something was amiss when she cancelled those dates a few weeks (months?) ago.

14. I'm glad she's taking time for herself. She's got such a creative mind, I'd hate for her to get burned out.

15. Good on her for being honest with herself.

And yes, now that she has had a taste of the pop stardom machine, I would like her to go back to the True Romance style of making music but I don't think she'd be the artist to ever regress.

Either way. Glad she's taking care of herself.

16. I'm not sure that's fair. I don't think being overworked is a prerequisite to being a popstar.

Touring is gruelling stuff.

Alchemy Jones v2.0 likes this.
  17. She seemed so over it by the end of the show in Columbus (her last show). Her energy seemed at an all time low and I felt horrible for her. Not to mention so many people were there for the shitty Bleachers and left before she got on stage.

I cannot wait for the new album and her own tour again.

18. Charli's getting a lot of shit for this. Her own fans are trashing her on Facebook in the comments section of her apology and also Bleachers'. I understand why many people would be mad at her for this, but at the same time it's crazy how harsh they are.

19. Yeah, I feel bad for the Bleachers fans that bought tickets to see him only for the shows to be cancelled because Charli called it off. And it looks like she's cancelled multiple times in some places and overestimated her endurance again. But at the end of the day it's just a performance, no need for fans to be so vicious.

20. I'm not surprised, honestly. She's had a pretty...intense fanbase for a while now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.