Charli XCX - Sucker (2nd Studio Album) | Page 243 | The Popjustice Forum

Charli XCX - Sucker (2nd Studio Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by ElectricHearts, Sep 20, 2013.

1. The fact they thought Break The Rules would become a hit simply because it coincided with the American school year was... messy to the extreme.

Wishlight and Subwaykid like this.
  2. 'Break the Rules' was weirdly """sticky""" here though. It was used in adverts and everyone seemed to know the words when it was played on the radio -- which was more often than I would have expected.

Jersey likes this.
  3. The bridge was awesome and so was the video, but the lyrics were just too damn juvenile.

4. I still get my life from Break The Rules despite the juvenile lyrics. NANANANANANA NA NA NANANANA is too damn catchy to be denied.

Wishlight, Sam and Jersey like this.
  5. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

I'm honestly surprised 'Doing It' did absolutely nothing over here.

6. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Like it had that pepsi commercial and that was it.

"Hi, this is Charli XCX and I drink Pepsi to feel inspired."

Lander and Andy French like this.
  7. I can't imagine why, when they even attached Global Fashion Icon Rita Ora to the single mix!

8. I really like every song on this album except Break The Rules, and honestly I'd love this album every bit as much as her debut if she just had one brilliant song that tied it all together the way that You're The One did.

9. Sam

Sam

I gave this album a spin earlier.

It's still great.

10. Doing It is so good and belongs on a much better album.

11. Need Ur Luv needs a single release.

nick_au likes this.
  12. She is recording with A.G. Cook according to her instagram!

So she is really going on full PC Music <3

Lander, Wishlight, Jersey and 3 others like this.
  13. I hope her label realises that she needs to become a niche artist again and markets her accordingly...

I realise the likelihood of that happening is a big fat zero.

Mr.Arroz and eddy2375 like this.
  14. Well, if they had a problem with her sells they would have already dropped her (I don' think she sold more than 100k with two albums, so, but we also live in a world where Jessie J is about to release her fourth album), but she got a solo hit, and two where she is featured in and she actually writes a lot of songs for others so I don't think they will ruin this era, even if I am convinced that they were the reason why Sucker was such a mess, even if Charli said it was 100% under her control.

Square likes this.
  15. I think it's pretty evident they'll push for both credible acclaim and mainstream success, which is obviously what Charli herself wants, so who can blame her team? I'm rooting for her just as much as ever. I mean, the chances of Charli having another Boom Clap-sized hit are slim, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jersey likes this.
  16. I doubt her albums cost much to make at all, so sales are irrelevant to some extent, but the Big Popstar Push seems to have been pretty detrimental to her health.

17. well maybe not True Romance, but Sucker features ''big'' producers and the promotion was incredible, I don't know how VMA + EMA + other performance slots did not help Break The Rules at all, it's not really good, but I don't think that is a problem for the GP, but as I said before what I think was really offputting was her persona which was so out of place and forced at times, the whole imbrattyandshoutyandidontgivefuckxo became tiring after a while.

18. Honestly, I'm not sure we really know the true reason for Charli's recent cancellations and general exhaustment. I think she might be having some personals struggles, perhaps related to family or friends, that she does not want to disclose. And that's fine.

She seems way happier now that she's not touring. Hopefully she's feeling renewed and inspired.

Jersey likes this.
  19. Some people believe PC music will be a mainstream pop in near future. In this case Charli could be the first one to make it massive!

I want "Girls Night Out" to be released ASAP.

Jersey likes this.
  20. I've been saying this for months! It better at least be on the record.

The anticipation for her work with A.G. is too real, the production must be in line with Beautiful, hopefully.

I am too hyped for this. I want the album cover, single cover, single name, release date, etc. I WANT IT ALL.

Karvel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.