Charlie's Angels (inc. 2019 reboot) | The Popjustice Forum

Charlie's Angels (inc. 2019 reboot)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mr. Mr., Oct 3, 2011.

1. A remake, but modernised version of the classic Charlie's Angels TV series from the 1970's.

[​IMG]

I've watched the first two episodes that just premiered recently and I absolutely love the action (y'know, chicks + guns = great entertainment), although I have a feeling this won't really make much of an impact as I have heard nobody talk about it. The acting is a bit iffy but I'm sure they'll improve over time.

I absolutely love Abby, Kate and Eve (although she has quite an annoying voice...), and love the subtle addition of humour here and there. I do feel it seems a bit too glossy, unrealistic and a little bit dumbed down at times. What do you guys think?

Anyone think this series will be a hit or just another one from the bunch?

2. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Your description makes it sound awful to be honest, in spite of my love of ass-kicking girls with guns. This may be the gayest thing I've ever said on Popjustice, but those outfits! I guess it's good that blind people are being employed in the costume industry though.

3. duckface

duckface Guest

The first episode was horrific but the second one was better.

I'd like it to do well but I think that, in the Angels vs. Pan Am war to take over as ABC's big "female" show, it is going to lose.

4. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

It's had the unfortunate side-effect of making me realize that Minka Kelly isn't the good actress I hoped she was, and that the cast of Friday Night Lights really elevated her.

5. I hated the pilot so I didn't bother watching episode 2. It did very badly in the ratings last week so I think it'll be cancelled by episode 4 unless things improve.

I love Minka Kelly, which is the only reason I watched. I agree with you though Someboy, this show made me think she's not as good as I had thought (I was familiar with her through Parenthood, not FNL though).

6. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

Oh, she was good on Parenthood too. Maybe it's a Jason Katims thing.

7. The second episode was much better than the pilot. The first episode just felt like everything was stitched together and everything happened so fast. It was like trying to fit a full-length movie into 40 minutes.

As this is a remake for a internationally known TV series, I feel as though they should've put more time and effort into making the first episode as fluid and as flawless as possible and leaving a good impression. The first episode didn't and I think it will have a big effect on whether viewers come back to it.

8. E4 are showing this in the UK but not until November. The way things are going, it could well be cancelled by then - Bionic Woman all over again...

9. A Charlie's Angels remake can only work if it's done completely seriously as a proper crime drama or better still with it's tongue firmly planted in it's cheek (Like the first film which was fab).

I haven't seen this yet but I suspect it's neither of the above.

10. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

I only watched the pilot, but it seems like it wants to be both, which made for an odd result.

11. I can't believe Drew Barrymore is an executive producer.

12. It's definitely not tongue in cheek. I mean they made Bosley a hunk. A hunk!

Except Bionic Woman was actually pretty good fun with an ace cast!

13. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Wasn't it ITV who bought that? They had the same thing with Pushing Daisies (RIP, sadly missed), putting it on primetime Saturday night at first, which was unheard of for a US import. Then it got cancelled.

14. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

But he was introduced in a hot tub, and I think that was meant to be a wink towards the audience. Honestly, though, who knows?

15. I like the show, it's cute and fun. It's no Nikita, but not much is haha.

16. That's because her production company co-owns the rights to the franchise, I doubt (hope) she has anything to do with it.

This has been battered by critics & the ratings have been going down week on week, this wont last past this season, if it gets that far.

17. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

It'll be gone by December, I'd bet.

18. I qutie like it now, the acting is not as awkward as the first episode although Eve is still annoying. The production is great and of a reasonable standard. This project must've cost a fair amount of dollar.

19. duckface

duckface Guest

"Don't worry Charlie, your angels know how to fly under the radar."

Bloody hell, does Rachael Taylor have it in her contract that she has to utter at least one cringey line per episode?

20. passionoia

passionoia Moderator

It's just so blah.

Really the fatal error is it's casting. I mean it's iconic status today doesn't come from the fact it was a 'great' tv show but from the image of the show... the image of Kate, Jaclyn and Farrah... three women who went on to become huge stars and dominiate tv for years to come after the show finished. I mean it was always considered a bit flimsy and naff but back then the premise was fresh and exciting. Nowadays the idea of pretty girls solving crimes and kicking butt is old hat. The original series is a case of something that means something totally different to the audiences of today than it did to the audiences back then. Back then the premise made stars of it's cast but today it's appeal comes from primarily from the star power of it's tv royalty cast.

As such today people don't want 'Charlie's Angels' because they're screaming out for a flimsy, lightweight show about 3 pretty private investigators (there's women solving crimes and kicking butt all over the place), they want Charlie's Angels because they want 3 famous birds kicking ass in a flimsy, lightweight show.... which is what the movie delivered.

Really they should have gone down the "Sex and The City", "Desperate Housewives" route and found a few down on their luck 'names' as opposed to more I suppose ingenue types that most people wouldn't know.

This is exactly the type of show screaming out to revive the career of your Lindsay Lohan, Mischa Barton type. Ok maybe not that far... but you know what I mean.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.