Charlie's Angels (inc. 2019 reboot) | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

Charlie's Angels (inc. 2019 reboot)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mr. Mr., Oct 3, 2011.

1. My god I love the first movies so much. They came out at a time when I was just discovering my gay self so they had just the perfect amount of female-driven fight scenes and camp sass.

2. Uno

Uno

Watched the movie - it was... fine. I think they did the film a huge disservice by making it their intro to each other - save that shit for the prequel. There was zero chemistry.

Ella Balinska was great and actually felt like she belonged in the film - her fights were the most believable. Kristen wasn't as irritating as I predicted but would've felt better as a second lead, rather than the main girl. Naomi Scott was a big miscast as the quirky damsel in distress that becomes badass. I thought I'd like her the most, but never came around to her.

Elizabeth Banks shoehorning herself into almost every single scene of the film was also pretty annoying. I don't dislike her as much as almost everyone else in the thread, but she really did not need to be in so many scenes. She never let the girls have their own moment to shine - it was almost like having a 4th Angel on the team.

ohaimanabu and bonnieetclyde like this.
  3. While all these bad reviews are a bit off putting, I'm still going to see it as soon as it's out in the UK.

stuaw and WhenTheSunGoesDown like this.
  4. I've spent weeks reading about what a misfire this is and hating on the casting and entire aesthetic. but my gay ass couldn't resit the mess and I've booked tickets for next week.
    [​IMG]

Remorque, stuaw, joe_alouder and 3 others like this.
  5. Elizabeth Banks, you are wonderful in your own work. She's made me laugh many times.

But you can't just get an idea for a film and bring on actresses "you" found perfect and then get upset when the film bombs.
    The cast didn't look to be enough of a draw to see the film, andand aren't in the day and age where a Charlie's Angels film was needed.

And then say because of men is why it bombed.
    Then explain why Captain Marvel was a success, or why Wonder Woman was. Hell Red Sparrow was well received because J Law was a great actress and gave a good performance. Oceans 8 did reasonably well too.

I'd imagine a Male Charlie's Angels bombing hard and being panned. That's what happened with the 2016 Ghostbusters.
    You can't just change a classic film. And hope for a good reception. It's a very touchy thing to try and fails more often that not.

You also can't remake a film that doesn't have a big demand and expect it to be a big hit.

Who honestly could say that in 2019, a Charlie's Angels remake is going to top the box office??? I'll wait.

thequinntessential likes this.
  6. Cast Zendaya, Akwanfina and Karen Gillan, who can all bring the action and comedy.
    Have Queens Cameron, Drew and the holy Liu return for one last romp. Bosley gets kidnapped by gay pirates and the new angels call on their retired idols for help. THAT film would top the box office for at least one week. I mean imagine the press tour with those women and the whole 'retired' Diaz returns to big screen narrative build up. With everything going on in the world people will eat it up all the entertaining camp mess.

stuaw, joe_alouder, Uno and 9 others like this.
  7. That sounds good! I mean, would have made sense, if you're gonna do the movie, might as well get as big of a badass cast to help it in anyway.

bonnieetclyde and POPGASM like this.
  8. BTG

BTG

I rewatched Full Throttle this morning. The complete lack of willingness to adhere to anything resembling the laws of physics! Iconic, but it's so fun, not a fuck was given.

Vixen, Remorque, Lander and 16 others like this.
  9. My fave is when Demi Moore studies flying squirrels and then has the ability to fly off a building.

Humes, Vixen, Remorque and 17 others like this.
  10. 2014

2014 Staff Member

A truer sentence was never uttered on this forum.

This remake seemed like a complete waste of time from the very first mention of it.

11. I watched Full Throttle earlier and it’s just so ridiculous that it’s iconic.

12. I love Full Throttle because it truly pushed everything about the first. I love how there’s basically a halo light around the characters in daytime shots because of how far the colors are pushed for the cinematography of the film.
    [​IMG]

Remorque, Lander, ohaimanabu and 4 others like this.
  13. Hand on heart I think Full Throttle is in my Top 3 all time fave films. It's just all round bonkers and brilliant. It thoroughly embraces everything Ms Banks tried to get rid of in the most recent one. And A++ for the casting (Bill Murray getting kicked to the curb for the sequel will never not be funny).

14. I remember back in the day, they were trying to label Lucy Liu as being “difficult to work with”. Happy to know that it was all BS and that she’s actually incredibly easy to work with. Even heard it from some friends who worked with her on something being filmed in Canada.

Vixen, elektroxx, Lander and 10 others like this.
  15. I don't know if it's because the last two movies I saw were Last Christmas and Frozen 2 but I....didn't hate this?

The script was uneven and half the quips don't land but it was perfectly charming and the leads were great (Ella Balinska in particular). There were some fun action sequences and there's slightly more self aware campness than I expected. Even though the marketing did make it look shit, many supposedly better films have gotten away with a lot worse, so the negative press feels somewhat unwarranted.

I'd give it a solid 3/5, it's an entertaining plane movie that I probably won't remember anything about within a month, but it's far from the dumpster fire I was prepared for.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  16. Um, the two Charlie's Angels movies in the 2000s were box office smashes, so idk what she's going on about. Maybe it's the fact she made a uninspired, shitty movie.

stuaw and lushLuck like this.
  17. Elizabeth Banks needs to stop.

Steve003, ohaimanabu, stuaw and 2 others like this.
  18. They've given her ANOTHER fucking movie. When will you people learn that your ACTIONS have CONSEQUENCES

stuaw, Alenko, Jwentz and 2 others like this.
  19. Eh, with people like M*x L*nd*s still getting movies made, I'm fine with a woman getting another chance after one flop.

stuaw, Daniel_O and diamondliam like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.