Charlie's Angels (inc. 2019 reboot) | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum

Charlie's Angels (inc. 2019 reboot)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mr. Mr., Oct 3, 2011.

1. It's probably because Full Throttle was the peak of cinema.

When you've made the best movie of all time, where else is there to go?

2. I spoke it into existence and now I'm seeing the harvest.

drewsky, GimmeWork, Vixen and 8 others like this.
  3. I saw it today. It was... not as bad as I thought it was going to be but everyone was set at like a 4-5 when I could have used 8-9 on the energy/charisma levels.

They clearly were inspired by the previous film versions, as the hit man was silent and walking a similar path as the scary thin man.

While I know it was sort of an origin film for the three leads, it felt like they weren’t too close. Drew, Lucy and Cameron all felt like they were best friends and wish this one had that energy.

Also... Was that Hailey Steinfeld at the end of the film? If so, she showed more charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent in the 2-3 shots she was in compared to the main three.

The biggest offense were the INCREDIBLY poor photoshop Manila they did with the old characters. Like. They looked like they were out of a 90’s film.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    stuaw and Vixen like this.
  4. I know she's been off the radar for a few years but Cameron did not deserve this.

Mikal, 2014, Subspace88 and 24 others like this.
  5. Oh my god. Blame the amazing Bombshell trailer that played before the new Charlie’s Angels... I can’t believe I did that. Cameron! Can she come back from her unnecessary retirement?

lushLuck and Drew like this.
  6. Anyway, lemme pop in my new Blu-rays of the original films. Sad!

7. $8m domestic opening?!? FLOP

Subspace88 and Mr.Arroz like this.
  8. $8 million is... embarrassing and rather troubling. I thought under $20 million but barely even getting to ten is rather shocking for a former TV show and film franchise.

johnoclock likes this.
  9. Uno

Uno

Naomi Scott has the worst luck. First Power Rangers now Charlie’s Angels - she’s a franchise killer!

WhenTheSunGoesDown likes this.
  10. Kristen Stewart and two unknowns is not how you sell a movie like this... Amazing that seemingly no one behind this movie saw that.

11. This is exactly the reason. They have no draw.

Can anyone here put together a better, more lucrative trio of actresses?

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

She made a good Jasmine though.

13. I'm pretty are anyone here could. It all really hangs on a marquee name being the lead which is something Kristen Stewart has long since abandoned even the idea of being one. Add in buzzy up and comers like Zendaya or Awkafina and a press tour about the chemistry between them all would make tickets fly off the shelves.

This movie essentially hinged on the 'zomg you won't believe how friendship goals so and so are together' buzzfeed articles the locals love.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  14. I saw it today and really liked it? It doesn’t hold a candle to the McG films but it was fun, Kristen also, surprisingly, showed she had great comedic chops. I’ve come to love her in Olivier Assayas’ films so this was a great change of pace.

I do agree though. Swap in Hailee and Zendaya over Naomi and Ella and I think it might’ve been a bit better.

stuaw likes this.
  15. Jennifer Lopez, Halle Berry, Charlize Theron

or

Keke Palmer, Janel Parish, Billie Lourd

VitaminBee likes this.
  16. The former would make me question why not just do a third one of the McG films but I’d also enjoy a stand-alone featuring them too.

The latter is good but I honestly don’t think it’d be any more of a draw for the box office than what we got. Keke is a good suggestion though. For something like this, you need actors who can grab you.

17. Rewatched both 2000 films over the weekend to wash out the bad taste of the new one, and wow...still campy trash perfection after all these years.

18. Or is it a Elizabeth Banks? Who was also in Power Rangers. Or maybe it's the combo of both of them.

2014, Uno, Mikl C and 3 others like this.
  19. I actually think Naomi Scott will probably be a thing someday. I don't know about Ella Balinksa since this is her first big thing of note. But this movie needed at least 2 people who are big names now, not potentially in the future.

This would have bombed even harder.

20. They've been Becky G Cursed!

TrixieVillaintina and lushLuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.