Charmed

D

Deleted member 3416

Season 5 is when it took a turn for the worse and Season 6 was a slight improvement but was still quite bad compared to the first four seasons I think season 7 & 8 generally had much better episodes but overall they didn't get the magic of the first four seasons back. I think it was when Constance M. Burge left that it got silly and less about the sisters bond but not until Season 5.

R

Resi12

I hated Season 6, whenever I saw Alyssa with that buzz-cut I knew it was going to be a rubbish episode. Once they switched from Wendigos/Phoebe getting executed to Leprechauns/Phoebe becoming a mermaid it all went downhill and I still to this day don't understand why they did decide to make it all lighter and fluffier.

It should have ended at season four, the finale of that year would have made a surprisingly fitting ending to the show - the sisters decide that they will continue fighting demons and protecting the world, accepting that they have to deal with demons and save innocents.

Honestly, by the end of the show Piper was the only likeable character - and a lot of that was due to Holly Marie Combs.

he/him
itsthemanbearpig said:
Honestly, by the end of the show Piper was the only likeable character - and a lot of that was due to Holly Marie Combs.

She had completely checked out by the season 8 though, as had Alyssa Milano. They both seemed so bored.

I remember reading that they wanted to end it after S7, but the fans were demanding and so they did S8.
The series finale was a mess. The last 10 minutes were ace, but they really shouldn't have done the time travel bit: it was SO inaccurate. Like, Billie takes Wyatt's power, and ONLY when he is in his 20s does he actually lose it so he goes to the past to get it back? WTF!

I hated how it became shit towards the end and they just couldn't be arsed and it was shuffled around in the schedules so I kept missing episodes too.

Much of my enjoyment was based around fancying Leo, then Cole and being in awe of the eyebrows. The eyebrows were always so perfect.

D

Deleted member 3416

utopia6021 said:
itsthemanbearpig said:

She had completely checked out by the season 8 though, as had Alyssa Milano. They both seemed so bored.
I'm sorry but Piper!? I hated her even though Holly was a good actress. Alyssa was definitely bored and even Rose & Holly seemed bored sometimes. I think Paige and Prue are my fave characters and actresses, shame they never got Shannen Doherty to guest star for the finale it would've been an amazing ending.

itsthemanbearpig said:
It should have ended at season four, the finale of that year would have made a surprisingly fitting ending to the show.

But then shows like this never know when to end, do they? Charmed started so silly, but got progressively better until the third season when it was actually a great guilty pleasure. The fourth season was also quite good (it was refreshing to see people mourn on television for longer than single episode, wasn't it?) even though Rose McGowan seemed to be gritting through her teeth just to pick up her paycheck. Regardless, your point is absolutely correct, and had it ended there we could have all avoided the sheer absurdity of the next four seasons.

The same could be said for Weeds, which should have ended when Nancy set her house on fire at the end of season three. I've still yet to watch anything beyond that episode because I like protecting the show's legacy in my own mind.

I'm currently about just over half-way through Season 1, having never watched this properly before.

It's weird watching it with the foreknowledge the character who's being pushed to the forefront week-after-week ends up being off-ed a few seasons in never to be seen again (a bit of an unavoidable spoiler this long after a show has aired).

I'm finding Charmed endearingly bad. I mean, it's hard not to judge it harshly given how badly it seems to have aged in terms of the computer-generated aspect of the show, but compared to Buffy, which started around the same time, it seems nowhere near as good.

The resolutions to some of the monster of the week episodes has really been very ridiculously simple it's mostly laughable. What I do find strangest of all is how rubbish the main power of each witch is. I'm working off the assumption they're meant to grow/progress over time, but Phoebe's character really does have the short straw doesn't she.

Their powers do grow (Piper's in particular) but Phoebe had to resort to learning martial arts to become more useful. You'll see that in the first season, actually.

In hindsight, they did kind of make a mess of the girls' powers. The lack of continuity in regards to their combat abilities used to piss me off as well. In some episodes, Piper (for example) is shown doing backflips and such things, then the next episode features her running scared from the demons. Prue suddenly became a martial arts expert from the first episode of season 3, surpassing Phoebe who'd been training for over a year.

JB said:
It's weird watching it with the foreknowledge the character who's being pushed to the forefront week-after-week ends up being off-ed a few seasons in never to be seen again (a bit of an unavoidable spoiler this long after a show has aired).
This is still bothering me immensely... I thought in Season 1 Prue was the main character yet Seasons 2 and 3 seem to position her even more so as it being her show when there's a number of episodes Piper/Phoebe are just left on the sidelines whilst Prue goes off on her own.

I've just seen episode 17 of Season 3 (I've raced through Season 2 and most of three somehow in 3 weeks!) and I'm now getting wary of getting to the end of Season 3. I'm sure I've probably casually caught an episode with the replacement sister in the past, yet I still am convinced I'm going to hate her.

By comparison to Season 1, 2 and 3 seem to be so much better although still unintentionally comical.

The continuity in the show is awful and I swear with some stuff they just make up something as they go along, then will forget about it a few episodes later. In the episode I've just watched they had flashbacks of the lead-up to Grams death where she was going to take away the girls' powers for good - even though the time-travel in Season 1 would have meant she had foreknowledge of what they'd become. I sort of hate time-travel and Charmed uses it in such a messy way.

I loved this show.

Or at least the first four-five seasons. I bothered with it up until... Chris left, I think. Season 7 and season 8 are just a blur to me, I've probably seen less than 10 episodes of them combined. When it went all Hogwarts with the school of magic and the battle scenes reminded me more of Charlie's Angels than Charmed itself, I gave up.

I'd actually totally forgot about that episode. I'd obviously blocked it out with how terrible it was. I wish I hadn't remembered haha.

Season 7 was beyond the most boring to watch.
Season 8 - Don't even go there...

Billie? Christie? I would rather shit in my hand!

D

Deleted member 3416

Sorry but did you guys not see the crap that is known as Season 5? The following seasons are much better than that awful season.

Season 5 was great in some parts! The whole magical baby was a bit of a yawn, but the whole season was kind of novelty and the final ridding of Cole! As if you wouldn't love that!

NO! Phoebe and Cole were meant to be together! The final nail in Charmed's coffin in my eyes was when they rushed Phoebe into marrying that awful Cupid.