Charmed

Is it just me or did season 5 have a bigger budget than the others? The camera quality seemed much sharper and the cinematography and special effects were really well done.

I think the first two seasons had the biggest budget, I never thought about it when I saw the show but I think it was with season three that suddenly all the demons went from actually looking demonic to having human appearance. I was always impressed by the environments more than anything else, I remember the "hell"-scenes were really well made. And just imagine how many times they had to rebuild the attic and the house...

That's another thing I hated on Charmed... how EASILY their furniture broke. When you throw someone as light as Pheobe at a clock or door, it doesn't shatter to pieces.

SpanishEyes said:
That's another thing I hated on Charmed... how EASILY their furniture broke. When you throw someone as light as Pheobe at a clock or door, it doesn't shatter to pieces.

Haha, that's true. But property damage looks so cool! So in my eyes, it was justified.

Honestly, seasons one to four of this show are so underrated. It wasn't perfect tv, but the three leads had great chemistry with each other and the actresses were all well cast. I mean, even those seasons had their problems - season one would have been so much better with an arc. Season two's love triangle really annoyed me - particularly because Dan wasn't a well developed character, he was just the nice, attractive dude that lived next door.

I love season three. It really should have ended at season four. Paige was one of the only characters brought in to replace a lead of a show that actually worked. I mean, she was no Prue - but it could have been so much worse.

I watched the Season 3 finale last night - what a cruel cliffhanger that must have been for fans of the show back in 2001! For her final two episodes the lack of Prue really pissed me off, as she had definitely grown to be my favourite character.

I find the stuff with Cole irritating, repetitive and a bit unimaginative - it's pretty much the inverse of the Piper/Leo story arc in most ways.

As for the budget of the show - did Season 1 really have a huge budget? It looked awfully cheap in Season 1 though that could just be down to it being 1998.

Season 1 looks incredibly dated now, even compared to shows from the same year, like (for example) season 2/3 of "Buffy." Maybe most of the budget went on the effects during the first season? Their wardrobe wasn't up to much either.

JB said:
I watched the Season 3 finale last night - what a cruel cliffhanger that must have been for fans of the show back in 2001!

I actually thought that was the end of it. It took forever for the fourth season to reach Sweden, so when it finally did, I was all "Wait... Charmed?! A new sister?!". (I was like 11 years old, so I didn't really follow which shows were canceled and renewed.)

KamikazeHeart said:
HAHA, the episode where they get their heads cut off. So awful.

I'm currently rewatching all of Charmed, and I've decided to take a break between seasons six and seven. Six was SO full of comedy episodes - well, I call them comedy, it's clear that the writers wanted to create light-hearted episodes away from the main story arc. Half of them are actually funny, half of them are utterly woeful.

On the plus side, the episode "Baby's first demon" in season six has Paige come up with the idea to infiltrate demons by wearing a blue wig and a rubber dress. While this is a stupid plan for the character, gratuitously stuffing Rose in her prime into rubber clothing is a fine idea.

In a week or two I'll start watching season seven, and no doubt I'll be going "NO!! How lame is this episode?" or "Kerr, couldn't you have a got a better guest part after Dawson's ended?"

JB said:
I watched the Season 3 finale last night - what a cruel cliffhanger that must have been for fans of the show back in 2001! For her final two episodes the lack of Prue really pissed me off, as she had definitely grown to be my favourite character.

It was horrible. Prue was my favourite character and to know NOTHING and to come back with a replacement pissed me off. But if it wasn't for Piper I wouldn't have watched it.

I really feel they played the mourning of Prue out well, with Piper not accepting Paige. In "Hell Hath No Fury" I thought it was amazing how Piper was crying at the grave. It was so heartbreaking and real.

D

Deleted member 3416

blaketat said:
JB said:

It was horrible. Prue was my favourite character and to know NOTHING and to come back with a replacement pissed me off. But if it wasn't for Piper I wouldn't have watched it.

I really feel they played the mourning of Prue out well, with Piper not accepting Paige. In "Hell Hath No Fury" I thought it was amazing how Piper was crying at the grave. It was so heartbreaking and real.
Yes I loved Season 4 because it dealt with the sisterly bond in a realistic way and the audience could relate. I always wanted Prue & Paige to meet. I think the reason why the show started going downhill was because the sisterly bond wasn't explored in such a good way and became silly.

True, the relationship between the sisters went from the sisterly kind to being more like the bond shared between the girls in Sex And The City.

I think the show's decline from season five onwards can be chalked up to the network intervening and demanding they revert back to the 'demon of the week', except by that point the girls were so powerful (especially Piper) that they had little choice but to go in a completely different direction and started to play with leprechauns and fairy tales.

he/him
KamikazeHeart said:
I think the first two seasons had the biggest budget, I never thought about it when I saw the show but I think it was with season three that suddenly all the demons went from actually looking demonic to having human appearance. I was always impressed by the environments more than anything else, I remember the "hell"-scenes were really well made. And just imagine how many times they had to rebuild the attic and the house...

I would have said 3 and 4 would have had the highest budget. I know by season 7 Brad Kern was always complaining about not being able to do certain things because of budget. Like they got rid of Phoebe's powers and stopped showing her car for budget reasons. Lame.

sophiemoph said:
blaketat said:
JB said:

Yes I loved Season 4 because it dealt with the sisterly bond in a realistic way and the audience could relate. I always wanted Prue & Paige to meet. I think the reason why the show started going downhill was because the sisterly bond wasn't explored in such a good way and became silly.

I think the sisterly bond theme left when Constance M. Burge decided to leave the show also. Funny that as soon as Prue was gone their whole sisterly love left with it, even between Piper & Phoebe (After Season 4).

Does anyone know the REAL reason why Shannen left? Was it like Sugababes with Keisha and they were told to choose between Shannen and Alyssa? I watched on a Shannen Doherty Biography that she quit, just left the show.

D

Deleted member 3416

I think Shannen quit because Alyssa kept complaining about the work and the show, they weren't seeing eye to eye on much it seems.

he/him
I've heard that they didn't get along and Shannen basically went to the producers and said "it's her or me." But I'm not sure how true that is, they seem quite friendly towards each other on twitter.