Charmed

That's a really interesting interview. So it would seem that the actresses didn't know Prue was going to be killed off until after the episode was shot? Although Prue was my favourite one, I think in terms of storylines, it's more compelling that the oldest sister gets killed. Season 4 is a good series, but I wouldn't really watch past it anymore.

Whatever happened was sudden. Shannen thought she was going to be in season 4. I read a web chat she did with fans of the show which I assume would've been at the end of season 3 (or in between 3 and 4) and she said something like "We start shooting season 4 in a couple of months."

I hope we find out someday what really happened.

I think it was forum member passonia who made quite a lengthy post about the departure of Shannon a long time ago; in short, while the girls may have had their problems, it was the producers who more fed up with Shannon for wanting to make the show consistently better which led to her departure more than anything else.

The television business is absolutely volatile for actors. You sign a contract and then you're thrown to the lions in that you have almost no control over the work you do. Of course, some do, but that's usually only if the show is dependent off their one character. "Charmed" is only one of several examples of where people were dismissed or let go because the producers became fed up with the actors making their opinions known.

Gotta give Doherty her props: she really cared about the show. In the early days the only reason they got a billboard for promo was because she called people at The WB and demanded it. Plus, I like the way she envisioned the show - darker, more serious, which is the way it was going judging by season 3.

I think the positive thing about Charmed being a bit of a mess at times (especially later on) is that Supernatural yet hasn't repeated its mistakes. Charmed felt like it didn't really have a plan regarding its mythology, and just went up stuff and threw it into a random episode every now and then.

he/him
Someboy said:
The television business is absolutely volatile for actors. You sign a contract and then you're thrown to the lions in that you have almost no control over the work you do.

Yeah, I've always thought it's a big gamble signing up for a pilot. You like the pilot but who knows if you'll still like what's going on 10 episodes down the line.

Fair play to Shannen though, it does sound like she wanted it to keep improving. I do wonder what the show would have been like had she not been let go.

Where do I begin with Charmed? My second favourite show of all time (behind The X-Files).

I actually caught Charmed by accident one day, I needed to find something to pass the time for 15 minutes whilst I waited for something else to start & caught the last 15 minutes of the Season 2 final & was then totally hooked. Needless to say Season 3 started straight after that & I never did see whatever else I was waiting for.

I became obsessed really, though I can't remember why I never watched it from the first episode, as I love, just LOVE Shannen Doherty (I like the crazy ones).

I must admit though, I didn't like Alyssa Milano much, I just didn't rate Phoebe as a character & after reading & hearing about her & Shannen fighting on set (that ultimately resulted in Shannen "leaving") I sort of hated Alyssa for a while after that.

Given the other actresses that were in line to replace her I'm bloody glad they went with Rose McGowan, especially since I was a fan of hers already & I think she was just perfect really. YES her acting especially in season 4 was at times, cringeworthingly bad & it took her a while to settle into the character, not to mention for the chemistry to actually happen between her, Alyssa & Holly, but they had a little sparkle from the offset & by season 6 I think things had totally settled & it didn't seem weird to have her on the show instead of Shannen.

The Shannen years were of course better, though I feel season 3 & 4 tie as the best, season 5 was utterly crap especially once Cole left, season 6 was good, 7 was hit & miss, 8 was terrible & the first two were hit & miss in places but overall pretty solid.

The continuity such as names, dates & timelines were a bit of a joke in the last few seasons, Brad Kern just never seemed to get his writers to research past storylines to get the continuity correct, even Alyssa said that they never noticed the mistakes till fans pointed them out to her, which must be quite embarrassing really. I also didn't like the steer away from monsters to just having people dressed in leather with knives & throwing fireballs, that sort of sucked a little.

Holly-Marie Combs & her scarred eyebrow was to me the stand out star on the show, during Season 3, I don't know what happened but her character went from being this timid little Prue shadow, to really kick ass & dead funny. She stole so many scenes with the genius comedy lines the writers gave her & as the show went along (minus the last season, where she seemed bored) she just got better & better.

The un-aired pilot is a weird one though, the house is a little different & as indifferent as I am to Alyssa Milano, I'm glad that Lori Rom decided to leave (or got pushed thanks to Shannen, depending on what you have read) she was fucking awful, she was HUGE, she was like Gandalf with Prue & Piper as two hobbits & she just didn't seem to have any chemistry with Shannen & Holly at all, unlike with Rose I don't think time would have changed this, she is just not a very good actress, so yeah thank god she went & they managed to get Alyssa so quickly.

I have too many favourite episodes to mention but I did find some of the season 3 episodes where it seemed a little "tit wars" was going on between Shannen & Alyssa with who could have the most cleavage out at any one time, particularly funny.

The series final was pretty perfect really (made me cry a little) shame that Brad Kern had to be such a **** & not get Shannen back for the last episode, I'm sure most fans would agree that we would rather of had less episodes that season in order to pay Shannen her fee, even just for a bloody picture on the wall at the end, just SOMETHING, but no evil Brad Kern wanted to be a **** & not give us Shannen back which is what everybody wanted.

Last thing I wanted to say was that I think it's great that all four ladies follow each other on twitter, Shannen & Holly are still very close friends. Holly, Rose & Alyssa tweet each other quite often, which I guess is quite rare for co-stars to stay in contact & be friends after a show ends, especially all these years later, but I think it's very sweet & YAY for Holly for having a hit show on TV now. I hope it lasts as long as she wants it too, she's amazing & deserves it.

So yeah OK, I'll shut up now......

Right_Correction - I find it a little odd that the season two finale hooked you. It just does not stand out at all, particularly in a season that included as many fantastic episodes as that season had (Morality Bites, P3 H20, etc.). I'm also a pretty big Shannen Doherty fan, and the Prue/Piper relationship is probably my favourite thing about Charmed (yeah, you really can tell that Doherty and Combs were mates).

I disagree on Rose McGowan's acting performances in season four, though. That is her strongest year on the show, IMO.

D

Deleted member 3416

itsthemanbearpig said:
Right_Correction - I find it a little odd that the season two finale hooked you. It just does not stand out at all, particularly in a season that included as many fantastic episodes as that season had (Morality Bites, P3 H20, etc.). I'm also a pretty big Shannen Doherty fan, and the Prue/Piper relationship is probably my favourite thing about Charmed (yeah, you really can tell that Doherty and Combs were mates).

I disagree on Rose McGowan's acting performances in season four, though. That is her strongest year on the show, IMO.
I loved the season 2 finale. I think Rose's best seasonacting wise were 4 and 7. She's much better than Alyssa Milano and better than Holly in the final season. I think they've all had dodgy and great acting in the show.

itsthemanbearpig said:

I don't know what it was about that final that hooked me, because as finals go, season 2 was possibly the worst season final of all eight seasons, I think I just found it quite funny, I guess that was enough to draw me away from what I was waiting to watch.

I agree about Shannen & Holly, you really could tell they were mates, their relationship on the show was solid & I was so glad that Holly spoke out against what happened to Shannen (Brian Krause did also), that shows true guts to go public about your bosses to defend your friend, says a lot about Holly as a person.

Don't think we will agree on Rose in season four though, I think with most newbies coming into an already established show, they will always take a while to find their feet, she found that in season 5 in my opinion, some scenes with her in season 4 made me cringe & this is coming from a Rose fan.

I think Rose's acting is an acquired taste. Which sounds silly, I know, I mean, generally you'd just think there's good acting, bad acting, mediocre and wooden, etc. But over the years I've noticed she has a rather... 'quirky' acting style that, while not always great, is something you're either gonna love or hate.

As for Holly, well, she's on Twitter and she's quite the sassy lady. Not at all what I thought she was like in real life, probably based on me seeing as her Piper more than anything but she's sharp! Take a look: http://twitter.com/hdonoho

Just finished watching Season 4 over the past fortnight or so. I thought al in all, it was an OK season but nowhere near as strong as Season 3.

The beginning of Season 4 was a lot more promising than the second half - it's almost like they totally forgot about Prue by then, too - admittedly the sisters do more grieving than your average TV character, though Paige and Leo don't seem to give a shit. Perhaps it played out differently when you're forced to watch it spanned over a year.

What is up with Alysso Miliano's hair in the latter half of Season 4? It looks REALLY awful.

As for the Season 4 finale - it wasn't a patch on Season 3's and I'm a bit bored by the recurring 'oh we might get exposed' storyline. I was a bit annoyed when they brought Cole back then too. It's time to move on...

I like Alyssa with the really short hair in Season 6, I didn't like her hair in season 1 or 3, that was bloody awful.

Though I think Shannen was the only one with decent hair in season 1.

KamikazeHeart said:
JB said:
What is up with Alysso Miliano's hair in the latter half of Season 4? It looks REALLY awful.

It gets worse.

Season 6 *retch*

I hated the Season 4 finale, Long Live The Queen should have been the last episode. It would have been better considering how long they'd built up the Cole/Phoebe thing. I know he is in the last ep and the 5th season, but it would have still been a better finale than the filler that we got.

Oh God, I'm part way through the Season 5 opener and I'm tempted to just switch it off and go to bed.

I mean, seriously...

- Mermaids?
- Alysso's hair getting WORSE. Rose's hair looks awful that colour too!
- Alysso's voice sounds deeper to me and I find it really off-putting.

Haha I forgot how awful those S5 opening eps are. Although if you're going to watch the whole season, prepare yourself for the episode about wood nymphs which is abysmal.

I liked Rose's ginger hair though.

R

Resi12

Right_Direction said:
I like Alyssa with the really short hair in Season 6, I didn't like her hair in season 1 or 3, that was bloody awful.

Though I think Shannen was the only one with decent hair in season 1.

Season 5 and 6 are quite awful thinking back, it's when the show's storylines started becoming ridiculous. Whenever I saw Alyssa with the short hair I switched over instantly.

Season 7 and 8 for me were a somewhat return to form and was a happy medium of the previous season's. Pity it was too little too late.