Charts & Rates Queue

he/him
The City Pop Rate has been concluded and it's a good winner...

Well, here we are...

This was such an unexpected win fff.

Oh w---

elim01.jpg

Eyedi
"Caffeine"

Penthouse Unnies
(11)
@Serg., @soratami

Tasteful Unnies:
(10 - 9)
Everybody else.

Sewer Unnies
(6.5)
@ysev // (8) @eatyourself, @Ana Raquel // (8.5) @aux, @eliminathan, @askew // (8.75) @Glitterizer, @He

My score: 10
@codecat's score: 9

A big congratulations to Eyedi for the win!
And to both @Serg. and @soratami as well, I suppose!

Ah.. what a surprising win? I believe the last time this song was rated was in @Slice of Life's KSOTY 2018 rate, where it had a very respectable 38th out of 117 placement. The growth, etc.
Don't look that elimination up because my commentary on it is so embarrassing fffff, and also because @codecat stanned it a bit more back then. The de-growth, etc.

Anyway, contrary to our shared group knowledge at the time, Caffeine isn't Eyedi's debut - in fact, it is her fifth single, released on December 17th of 2018. I believe a combination of her successful fifth place finish on MIXNINE and striking while the iron was hot (well, the show concluded in January of 2018 and this came out the following December, but I digress..) with this little hit of a song catapulted her from the outer-rings of K-indie to the inner realm of K-nugu nn; Caffeine is her most-streamed song on Spotify, with 2.2 million - for reference, her next closest, Red, sits at 951k.

In a queenly fashion, Caffeine is fully written by Eyedi herself, where she leans in and ruminates about a relationship where sparks are flying - but the other person involved doesn't want to confirm their feelings, and becomes hazy and aloof. Oh she had the tea! She is also responsible for co-composing this song, along with her longtime and almost-exclusive collaborator Francis (who has worked on all her songs); with Francis also serving as the sole arranger here.

I find the production on Caffeine quite intriguing: it comes across very inviting and comforting, but it retains an undercurrent of a distant and icy atmosphere. Very delicate craftsmanship! Admittedly, it does lean a little bit out of the genre and more into, say, a vaporwave type of sound... which might have @codecat's feathers in a lil bit of a ruffle! but I do think all of the elements are still here: breezy & sugary retro-styled synths, a solid bass line, tender emotive vocals—with a very scrumptious hook— and the most crucial aspect of all: the ability to picture yourself listening to this song whilst during a drizzly, rainy night in a car at 8pm fff. That's what it's all about at the end of the day, unnies! ...Well, to be fair, I guess a handful of songs are styled exclusively for rollerskating Navillera-style down a bustling beach boardwalk in the peak of Summer, but other than that... I think that's the key criteria!

But what did you girlies have to say about it?

@aux (8.5): Oh? Okay… I hear something ladies. My buss is quivering.

@Remorque (10): This is one of the biggest surprises in this rate for me. Somehow it's never really gotten on my radar after listening to it in a playlist of new songs that came out around the time of its release, but here? Whew.

@Crisp X (10): From the offbeat synth bass, the dreamy synths, the bells, to that *hook*... a total serve. My introduction to Eyedi and I never looked back since.

@FunkyButChic (10): Every time I listen to this song I score it a .5 higher, so I’m just going to give it a 10 and call it a day.

And starting at 10:30 specifically:

...and also nn:

How do you guys feel about this win? Deserved? Unexpected? Personally I wouldn't have been able to pick it, I definitely expected a Wonder Girls song to take it! But I think it is nice a little indie song took the crown.​

Winners' Rate, Part 1
Winners' Rate, Part 2
Winners' Rate, Part 3
Winners' Rate, Part 4

Master list of songs that have competed in a winners' rate

Song list for the Winners' Rate, Part 5

Completed rates
/
Songs that have won multiple rates (thanks, @Sprockrooster!)

1. ABBA - The Winner Takes It All
  2. Anastacia - Left Outside Alone
  3. Ariana Grande - Into You***
  4. Ariana Grande - No Tears Left To Cry
  5. Björk - Joga
  6. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
  7. Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away With Me**
  8. Cher - Believe
  9. Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle
  10. Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now**
  11. Florence + The Machine - Cosmic Love
  12. Gina G - Ooh Aah… Just A Little Bit
  13. Girls Aloud - Call The Shots
  14. Hilary Duff - Come Clean
  15. KARA - STEP**
  16. Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill**
  17. Katy Perry - Teenage Dream**
  18. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
  19. Kylie Minogue - Confide in Me
  20. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance**
  21. Lorde - Green Light***
  22. Loreen - Euphoria
  23. Madonna - Frozen***
  24. Madonna - Like A Prayer
  25. Nelly Furtado - Say It Right
  26. Nicole Scherzinger - Don't Hold Your Breath
  27. Pink - Who Knew
  28. Rachel Stevens - Some Girls
  29. Robyn - Dancing On My Own
  30. Toni Braxton - He Wasn't Man Enough
** = triple rate winner
*** = quadruple rate winner​
The Songs that have won multiple rates needs an update since Ella Henderson's Ghost won the UK Ladies #1s of 2010s rate.
I had no idea she had actually won a rate before (The X Factor one), but voters of my thread let me know. So, good for her I guess!

UK Ladies #2s and #3s of 2010s Rate coming soon(ish) I hope!

Last edited:

ohnostalgia

Staff member
She/her
The Songs that have won multiple rates needs an update since Ella Henderson's Ghost won the UK Ladies #1s of 2010s rate.
I had no idea she had actually won a rate before (The X Factor one), but voters of my thread let me know. So, good for her I guess!

UK Ladies #2s and #3s of 2010s Rate coming soon(ish) I hope!

Don’t expose me like this ddddd.

F

Fertilizer

To whom it may concern.

headere6612e066825fa76.gif

is officially open for voting!

don't know what this is all about?
iamammy what? and why is it all in courier??

well, this is the perfect opportunity to discover some of the best electronic / synth-pop music released in the last decade (it's from sweden, so you know it pops off), as well as some of the most otherworldly visuals your beady little eyes could feast upon, as well as innovative online concerts years before covid made them cool.

recommended for fans of robyn, the knife, depeche mode, björk, goldfrapp, röyksopp, allie x, grimes, etc.

here's a taste of what we'll be rating:

i hope you'll come and join us!

Last edited by a moderator:
he/him
Will that rate actually get finished though? (it's odd to take on the extra load of another big rate when the reason the other one has been stalled is due to not having time for it, so legitimate concern for anyone wanting to partake in this) *shrug*

Last edited:
Will that rate actually get finished though? (it's odd to take on the extra load of another big rate when the reason the other one has been stalled is due to not having time for it, so legitimate concern for anyone wanting to partake in this) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This seems a bit rude and very pointed
It's just an announcement, no? Who is to say the Twice rate won't be done by then?

he/him
This seems a bit rude and very pointed
It's just an announcement, no? Who is to say the Twice rate won't be done by then?

I can't say, but normally you have to finish a rate to even go on queue for another one and there's over 100 tracks left in Twice.

aux

he/him
Will that rate actually get finished though? (it's odd to take on the extra load of another big rate when the reason the other one has been stalled is due to not having time for it, so legitimate concern for anyone wanting to partake in this) *shrug*
Dear Mx. DJHazey,

I appreciate your concerns over my ability at finishing this rate. I reassure everyone who potentially thinks I'm incapable of finishing the rate that I have most of the work finished for BPG other than the write-ups for one album which was added at the last minute. The only thing missing is the spreadsheet which needs to be filled up with the scores of participants - you will be able to do this from December 1st when the rate opens. Moreover, I'm not working on this rate by myself, so there's even further reassurance for your allegedly "legitimate" concerns. If you have any more questions, my PMs are open.

Many thanks,
Mx. Auxiliary "aux" Cord

ohnostalgia

Staff member
She/her
I can't say, but normally you have to finish a rate to even go on queue for another one and there's over 100 tracks left in Twice.

@Slice of Life is in charge of K-Pop rate scheduling and checking up with rate hosts. In general the k-pop subforum is pretty lenient on rates- I know of several instances where a hiatus was granted. Instead of assuming, if you have concerns about the TWICE rate you can privately message @Slice of Life.

I do not take Kpop rates into consideration when scheduling. I just add them to our list to keep track of winners and as FYIs for posters who like Kpop but aren’t regularly checking the subforum. I treat the Eurovision subforum rates the same way. I believe I’ve made this distinction clear before, but if you have any further questions about the interaction between rates on the two sub forums, please DM @2014 and myself.

Last edited:
he/him
Thanks for the clarification.

Just as someone who participates in a lot of rates, it becomes frustrating when the pattern of rate hosting has become, host is very consistent with updating everything right up until the reveals start and then quite often lately, the elimination posts start becoming less frequent and sometimes stop altogether. (There's seems to be lot of stalled/delayed/etc. rates across the board lately, at least that's perception I get) I guess I just need to be wiser in the future about which rates I choose to spend time completing a ballot for.

Thanks for the clarification.

Just as someone who participates in a lot of rates, it becomes frustrating when the pattern of rate hosting has become, host is very consistent with updating everything right up until the reveals start and then quite often lately, the elimination posts start becoming less frequent and sometimes stop altogether. (There's seems to be lot of stalled/delayed/etc. rates across the board lately, at least that's perception I get) I guess I just need to be wiser in the future about which rates I choose to spend time completing a ballot for.

I think we all participate in a lot of rates!

sub-buzz-5300-1493234565-3.png

It might be a good idea to step away if you're the only person it's bothering that much, people have a life outside of rates, you know?

he/him
I think we all participate in a lot of rates!

sub-buzz-5300-1493234565-3.png

It might be a good idea to step away if you're the only person it's bothering that much, people have a life outside of rates, you know?

I'm most certainly not (or at least highly doubt it), I'm just one of the few speaking up on the topic. *wink*

What is meant by "step away"? There are plenty of rates that run consistently and are fun to follow because of it.

I understand people have a life, but if you can't manage the time then it's probably not a good idea to host rates, because there is a lot to it and just giving up on them isn't the best answer. That's why we have the backup host plans, yet I've noticed they aren't always being utilized.

Last edited: