Cher | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Cher

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Baby Clyde, Aug 5, 2006.

?

Is Cher The Greatest Human Being To Have Ever Lived?

1. Yes

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I love Cher and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Her voice has a fantastic quality and is pretty versatile.

Don't know much about her 60s/70s era apart from what's on the Best ofs/Greatest Hits albums.

Far too many stand-out tracks but I particularly love:

What about the moonlight
    Heart of stone
    All or nothing (Almighty Edit) - the beginning is amazing
    Music's no good without you
    You take it all
    A different kind of love song

Her costumes are naff, her live shows are so OTT but ......... she has it, that star quality that the other pop bitches could only hope for. She has an acid tongue, tells it like it is and seems a genuine person.

New album please!

L xxxx

2. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

I feel like I've been waiting my whole life. HURRY UP CHER.

3. This picture made me actually squeal with delight, amazing.

4. 'Heart of Stone' is very underrated.

5. The album or the song? The song is a goodie, though I do prefer the Bucks Fizz original. Possibly their finest moment.

6. The only Cher album I own is the 2CD version of "The Very Best of Cher" and I keep meaning to getting round to giving it a listen, but never seem to get to it.

I love pretty much the big hits though. I keep meaning to check-out "Living Proof" and "Believe"... I've always had a gut feeling anything before then wouldn't be to my taste other than the singles.

7. Other than the singles (Which are great) the rest of 'Believe' is atrocious. 'LIving Proof' is a far better album overall but doesn't quite have the 3 or 4 killer tracks that 'Believe' does.

You need to buy a cheap compilation of the best of 60's/70's Cher it's impossible not to love her early pop stuff whereas her late 80's/early 90's rock stuff can be a bit dreary.

I mean has there ever been a more fabulous woman in the entire history of the world. These days people actually get excited about Katy Perry and Lady Ga Ga!!! Back in the day they had...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1tghvb6WqA

8. My favourite is the "Heart of Stone" album again. The title track gives a slightly more fiery delivery of a classic song of Buck's Fizz that was sadly neglected at the time. In terms of sheer late 80s/early 90s power-balladry which Cher excelled at, I think "I'll never stop loving you" is amazing and slightly edges out "Save up all your tears".

9. Her 80s/90s period was my favourite, the rock ballads being her strongest tool at her disposal, I thought:

Heart of Stone
    Save Up All Your Tears
    Love and Understanding
    Just Like Jessie James
    Emotional Fire

...and so on

Her dance diva reinvention was cool too, I remember Believe being played in every gay club/bar at least thrice a night when it was #1. A Different Kind of Love Song should have been the lead single from Living Proof, such a great song.

I have loads of respect for Cher for some reason, I'm not even sure I know what it is. She's a survivor I guess and not afraid to hop on a trend if needs be, although people attempted to accuse her of copying Madonna when Believe was out, which I don't think was at all the case.

Some good movies in there too. I heart Mermaids.

10. The song, i think it's gorgeous. Had no idea it was a Bucks Fizz original.

11. It was their last single and a dismal flop, sounds pretty similar but with a male vocal and not as much 'oomph' as Cher's take, and I say that as quite the fan of Bucks Fizz. I have a feeling that their backing vocals remained on Cher's version, though I could be completely wrong.

12. I think You Take It All is just spellbinding - when she does furlorn she can do it better than mmost.

If anyone is a fan of It's A Man's World - slightly-MOR, crisp production and tinged with country - possibly the most underrated album of her career is I Paralyze. 9 tracks and zero filler, Rudy is a galloping retro love swoon with swooping guitars and a 'cheriffic' gutsy vocal sung as if her smile is the only thing that could get in her way of laying one down. The title track is an odd first single; like The Music's No Good Without You, it doesn't represent the album and is tame by comparison (it does have one of my favourite Cher lyrics, 'honey you're as real as a dollar bill').

When The Love Is Gone s one of her best ever ballads, and a bit of a torch song, stranded and loungey. Again, those sad expressive eyes of hers are matched with a fog-horn croon that's deflated but equally suggestive that happy times aren't far away either. The biggest surprise on the album is the ABBA-sounding street walkers' anthem Back On The Street Again, which just ignites the fuse of The Visitors and explodes into one of her most definitive, self-affirming choruses. Cher skeptics could be in for a shock with how good this record is. Walk With Me is rather like Rolling Back The Rivers In Time with more bite.

Believe has more charm than its follow-up, it feels thrown together accidentally - the We All Sleep Alone Todd Terry remix being especially wonderful and makeshift. I was so happy with her medley on the European leg of her farewell tour comprising the Jr. Vasquez 'Gay Pride' remix of One By One, Love Is The Groove and my favourite Taxi Taxi.

She has a huge career - her 60s recordings ought to be better recognised, that sandpaper rasp of hers is as distinctive (if not more) as any other from the era. How her voiced changed is interesting; personally I think it got more expressive, but also seems to have lost some of its sharpness (Save Up All Your Tears does have one of her sexiest vocals however).

13. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

Isn't it ridiculous that a star as huge as Cher doesn't have all her albums available on CD? How is that even possible?

14. I'm waiting for Stars!

And her solo Phil Spector recordings from the 70s...

15. I have to throw some love to The Music's No Good Without You; it's grown on me immeasurably since its release, when it was rather unfairly expected to be Believe Volume 2. As time has gone on, it's become a really haunting keeper for me.

16. No one's mentioned I Found Someone! I adore her version of it. Michael Bolton's is nowhere near as good (even though he wrote it) and Laura Branigan's is lacking something - oomph?

17. 'I Found Someone' is AMAZING!!!

Easily my favourite 80's Cher song (Apart from 'Dead Ringer For Love' of course)

I often find myself singing it in the shower.

18. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

The 'Dead Ringer For Love' video is one of my favourite pop things ever.

19. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

And as if Cher would go for Meat Loaf!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.